Why become a member? ×

Conductive Copper Tape

yorks5stringer

Bought some of the above to do a shielding in a Bass.

Made sure I bought one with 'conductive adhesive' but when I put my continuity tester probes on it it does not show a circuit if I test front of foil to rear adhesive coating. However if I stick 2 pieces together and then check across the join there is continuity. Am I going mad?

How can it be?

It may be so, that the adhesive contains tiny copper (or silver or similar metal) particles. It is nearly impossible to measure them or their conductivity with simple probes. When you press the tapes together, those particles flatten and the adhesive area between the tapes becomes conductive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

I measured my jazz bass as 0.0008 ohm resistance from edge of front pup to Jack socket using conductive glue copper tape - pretty much nothing 

Would love to see your measuring tool, that is 0.8 mOhms! I checked few Flukes, and they are able to go down to 0.1 Ohms. Yours have to be special!

3 hours ago, itu said:

It may be so, that the adhesive contains tiny copper (or silver or similar metal) particles. It is nearly impossible to measure them or their conductivity with simple probes. When you press the tapes together, those particles flatten and the adhesive area between the tapes becomes conductive.

Thank you for the explanation, I can sleep now!