Why become a member? ×

Nad. GK legacy 800

danbowskill

After reading heaps of positive reviews and talk of "Heft" with these New Gallien heads I thought I'd give it a wizz.I've had a 1001 and a 700 rb before but never tried the classic 400/800 this is based on. Only had a quick blast tonight and it sounds great....... Won't be able to crank it until I'm in the rehearsal room with the boys, god knows when that will be? 😭.

Anyone else Rocking a Legacy or fusion s?

IMG_20201116_213522.thumb.jpg.add14003466328b856336799729a2cac.jpg

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 6

Ohhhh, keen to know how you get on with it once you can crank it. I've obly played through one in a shop when trying out a Sire jazz. It's pretty confusing that a light comes on when it's not actually turned on..........left me scrambling around, checking leads and volume pots for about 5 mins before finally asking someone in the shop what I was doing wrong??!? 😂

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

Yeah. .. Mighty odd why the standby light stays on even when switched off?!

Not being loud Is the biggest problem buying gear at the min,its just sat staring at me 😒

I can't wait to play loud again. Managed to get a couple of practices in between the lockdown, but really want to make some noise!! 

The amp sounded great for the 10 mins I played around with it, so I'm sure you've got a good'un! 

17 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The standby light stays on when the amp is switched off? Wow, never seen that before.

Yep, felt like a right knob when I asked the guy what I was doing wrong and he just said I needed to turn the amp on. To be fair, he said it happens a lot so I'm sure it's a wind up the shop staff have fun with!! 😂

I played a few large theatre shows with mine before lockdown and it sounded huge!

GK's are naturally bright sounding so it's worth taming that a little.... Add the drive channel with a subtle boost and you'll be cutting through the band with ease! Love mine :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

I played a few large theatre shows with mine before lockdown and it sounded huge!

GK's are naturally bright sounding so it's worth taming that a little.... Add the drive channel with a subtle boost and you'll be cutting through the band with ease! Love mine :)

To me  (from my bad memory) it sounds brighter than my old 1001 and 700 was? , if I really had to pick a negative the overly britness at flat would be it.... But hey! There's a knob for turning it down. Definitely some fantastic sounds to be had.

Thanks to your old post I grabbed a skb mixer bag.... Perfect fit 🙂

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

I had one (and 2 faulty ones) at the beginning of the year. I wasn't sure what to expect as Ive never played a 800RB that it’s supposed to  be close to. I was very pleased with the tone, but at the end of the day i felt it was too expensive to keep, when i had other heads that i wasnt using, inc a MB800 that was doing a great job already, so sent it back. It definitely had heft to it that even the band noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about selling my GK Legacy 800.  I've had it for about a year, and even took into the recording studio in February, but have since realized that I really prefer the sound of a tube preamp!  So, would plan to keep my MB Fusion 500 over the Legacy... Any takers? :)  I still have the original box and the amp is perfect.  Maybe I put a feeler out on the buy-and-sell pages.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had our first band practice with this amp tonight 😒...

Dang!! With the high and low switch engaged and eq flat it has such authority..... Add a bit of my b7k and 😮. Very happy and so is the band... ,.. It just cut through the mix like a hero ( Drop C heavy stuff). I've been through a few heads along the way with these guys (many valves and solid states) and they are exstatic about this 👍

Happy chap 🙂
. ... Even if it does look daft on top of my Ampeg fridge

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 3

On 21/12/2020 at 00:56, danbowskill said:

Finally had our first band practice with this amp tonight 😒...

Dang!! With the high and low switch engaged and eq flat it has such authority..... Add a bit of my b7k and 😮. Very happy and so is the band... ,.. It just cut through the mix like a hero ( Drop C heavy stuff). I've been through a few heads along the way with these guys (many valves and solid states) and they are exstatic about this 👍

Happy chap 🙂
. ... Even if it does look daft on top of my Ampeg fridge

I'm sure everything sounds pretty good through an Ampeg fridge :)