Why become a member? ×

Sparkle bass refinish

Brian18242

12 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Any car paint shop will do it. If you do all the prep work, you'll keep costs down.

Not necessarily. A standard finish, yes, but sparkle is a different kettle of fish to any standard car finish. Also for this reason a 'cost effective' sparkle finish might be a stretch. 

Standard poly finish would be primer, couple coats of base colour and a couple of coats of lacquer, all done wet on wet, ie not drying or flatting between coats as it's not necessary, then very minimal polishing, if needed. 

Sparkle would be primer then base colour, then multiple layers of heavy flake, then multiple layers of lacquer to bury the sparkle flake. It would probably need drying, or at least a very long flash off time between stages due to the amount of material going on. Then a lot of flatting and polishing to lose the contours of the flake to get a flat finish. Much more product is used and it's far more time consuming. 

There are other techniques to achieve these finishes but the time and material differences are roughly the same. 

🙂

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Not necessarily. A standard finish, yes, but sparkle is a different kettle of fish to any standard car finish. Also for this reason a 'cost effective' sparkle finish might be a stretch.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not???? The sparkle finish was invented for cars. Candy apple red, blue, green, purple... whatever colour you want. Primer, few coats of sparkle colour and a couple clear coats. Done. 🙄

Modern techiques and paint technology allows the glitter to be in the paint when applied.

3 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not???? The sparkle finish was invented for cars. Candy apple red, blue, green, purple... whatever colour you want. Primer, few coats of sparkle colour and a couple clear coats. Done. 🙄

Modern techiques and paint technology allows the glitter to be in the paint when applied.

Not joking no. 

I'm aware of where the custom paints originated but there aren't any 'normal' car manufacturers offering the old school candy colours nowadays. Candy is a metallic base coat (usually gold or silver) with a tinted lacquer built up in several layers over the top, three stage pearl is similar but not the same, and a sparkle finish (metallic is different) is unheard of in current standard car finishes. Candy and sparkle are completely different things. Most bodyshops won't even have a gun set up with a large enough air cap to spray a proper sparkle, the flakes are very big compared to metallic, it'll go through a primer gun but not nicely. 

The fact is a sparkle finish is more costly to supply and apply than a standard finish. 

I was just offering my advice as someone who's been in automotive refinishing and custom paintwork for over thirty years, but maybe I shouldn't bother. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Not joking no. 

I'm aware of where the custom paints originated but there aren't any 'normal' car manufacturers offering the old school candy colours nowadays. Candy is a metallic base coat (usually gold or silver) with a tinted lacquer built up in several layers over the top, three stage pearl is similar but not the same, and a sparkle finish (metallic is different) is unheard of in current standard car finishes. Candy and sparkle are completely different things. Most bodyshops won't even have a gun set up with a large enough air cap to spray a proper sparkle, the flakes are very big compared to metallic, it'll go through a primer gun but not nicely. 

The fact is a sparkle finish is more costly to supply and apply than a standard finish. 

I was just offering my advice as someone who's been in automotive refinishing and custom paintwork for over thirty years, but maybe I shouldn't bother. 

I had a body resprayed in candy apple green almost three years ago at a local car body shop, included a couple clear coats and polish. Cost me £80, did the prep myself, excellent finish. 

I was just offering my advice for actually having a body sprayed at a car body shop.

There are three guys who post a fair bit on the Fretboard - lamf68, rexter and SCRelics. I haven't personally used any of them yet but they get consistently rave reviews.

lamf68 - https://www.facebook.com/rendallsrestorations?fref=ts

rexter - https://rexterguitars.co.uk/

SCRelics - https://screlics.co.uk/

I don't know if they count as cost effective but you will get a quality finish.

• Thanks 1