Why become a member? ×

A House Jam Combo

Phil Starr

I couldn't resist this, it's going to become a 'stack'. I'm building a cab for a second Fane 6-100. I've intended doing it anyway as i want to try it as a vocal monitor and also to do some development work on a bright-box idea. The only change is in the size/shape of cab which I'm now going to make to match the existing combo. I should also be able to get an extra 5db out of a stack compared to the combo on it's own. Also I'm in lockdown and it's fun.

It's too cold to work in the workshop

image.thumb.png.33575b1d4f6ff3d514631ab1a05d942d.png

you can never have too many clamps :)

image.thumb.png.b39e25206b338a233cd7245f1ac024f5.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I couldn't resist this, it's going to become a 'stack'. I'm building a cab for a second Fane 6-100. I've intended doing it anyway as i want to try it as a vocal monitor and also to do some development work on a bright-box idea. The only change is in the size/shape of cab which I'm now going to make to match the existing combo. I should also be able to get an extra 5db out of a stack compared to the combo on it's own. Also I'm in lockdown and it's fun.

It's too cold to work in the workshop

image.thumb.png.33575b1d4f6ff3d514631ab1a05d942d.png

you can never have too many clamps :)

image.thumb.png.b39e25206b338a233cd7245f1ac024f5.png

You are tempting me to add another 8" cab to the After Eighty.

On it's way, just a couple of holes to cut and the edges to be routed off, then finishing. Anyone know where I can get some grille cloth to match?

Can't decide whether to go for Tolex or Tuff Cab, I prefer Tuff Cab but I have a roll of vinyl roughly matching 70's WEM. It's not a great match but it is vinyl. Ho hum????

image.thumb.png.53c6f716df7a70767cca80ca8e46bf3c.png

• Like 3

They don't stack at the moment, I'll have to put rubber feet on. The other problem is finding grille cloth. there's a limited range out there from UK suppliers. The USA is much better served. I can't find anything to match the Kustom amp. If I had something similar enough i could change the cloth on that so the two cabs match but i'm struggling to find something I like. Any colour I like so long as it's black

I tried this with my Peavey Minimax last night, wow that surprised me, it really is quite a satisfying sound in a family sized room. The extra couple of litres gained by not having the amp built in makes a real difference to the bass. I think this would be a real contender as ideal home practice set up. The single six gives it a really useful extra bit of top end and dispersion and the use of a 'proper' PA driver gives some respectable bass at these volumes. I didn't drive it hard because it was loud enough but it was happy with a fair amount of bass boost so there is a bit of headroom available. 

IMG_0373.JPG

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

I tried this with my Peavey Minimax last night, wow that surprised me, it really is quite a satisfying sound in a family sized room. The extra couple of litres gained by not having the amp built in makes a real difference to the bass. I think this would be a real contender as ideal home practice set up. The single six gives it a really useful extra bit of top end and dispersion and the use of a 'proper' PA driver gives some respectable bass at these volumes. I didn't drive it hard because it was loud enough but it was happy with a fair amount of bass boost so there is a bit of headroom available. 

IMG_0373.JPG

Is this the beginnings of the new Barefaced.......?

Looks better this way up, there's only a tiny overhang. I think this might become my go- to set up for working with acoustic acts. I need to try it in a bigger space of course but it has a really satisfying sound and is more than loud enough with a bigger amp. This was just meant to be a fun project but this is quite a usable speaker. I'm going to try it with a PA amp as the Peavey might be adding a little gilding to the sound.  John @Chienmortbb and I are looking at a potential amp for this but it might be quite interesting to try it with something like the TC BAM with a view to building that into a permanent combo. It'd be about 6kg and whilst it wouldn't work with a drum kit it could be a very straightforward, lightweight, family friendly solution for home practice and just making you heard without having to carry a double bass everywhere. £33 for the speaker £125 for the amp and maybe £25 for the wood/finishing touches. Anyone interested?

IMG_0374.JPG

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Found a couple of 6ins speakers down the basement which were salvaged from a Grundig bandpass sub woofer. Got some ply off cuts from my Lockdown 10ins combo build so planning a similar build. 

Have you included a port in the cab you have built? Was it 9 lts internal volume? What was the port length?

13 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Found a couple of 6ins speakers down the basement which were salvaged from a Grundig bandpass sub woofer. Got some ply off cuts from my Lockdown 10ins combo build so planning a similar build. 

Have you included a port in the cab you have built? Was it 9 lts internal volume? What was the port length?

Funnily enough I just decided to revisit this after some good reviews from the Southwest Bass Bash. The 'extension cab' was built to match the original combo internally it measures 304x250x150mm which is 10l plus space for the driver and the port is 50mm internal dia and 55mm long. No guarantees it'll work as well with another driver but it's a fun project. I'm intending writing this up as a proper project over the next few weeks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2021 at 10:53, Phil Starr said:

Looks better this way up, there's only a tiny overhang. I think this might become my go- to set up for working with acoustic acts. I need to try it in a bigger space of course but it has a really satisfying sound and is more than loud enough with a bigger amp. This was just meant to be a fun project but this is quite a usable speaker. I'm going to try it with a PA amp as the Peavey might be adding a little gilding to the sound.  John @Chienmortbb and I are looking at a potential amp for this but it might be quite interesting to try it with something like the TC BAM with a view to building that into a permanent combo. It'd be about 6kg and whilst it wouldn't work with a drum kit it could be a very straightforward, lightweight, family friendly solution for home practice and just making you heard without having to carry a double bass everywhere. £33 for the speaker £125 for the amp and maybe £25 for the wood/finishing touches. Anyone interested?

IMG_0374.JPG

This is absolutely superb!!!

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2021 at 14:12, Pea Turgh said:

I pulled the Fane back out of my house jam combo, so will be interested in the cab build too!  Not much wrong with the combo, just felt like doing a full cab build.

you'll find that the little bit of extra volume makes quite a big difference. look forward to hearing what you think.

• 1 year later...