Why become a member? ×

Intonation issues...while no other strings sounding

M-Bass-M

I have '93 MIJ Fender Precision which has an extremely odd intonation issue. Basically, when I sound the 7th fret on the 'G' string, as the note plays I get a very distinct intonation sound - as if another string is sounding the same note, but is slightly out of tune causing a distinct "beating" sound. But here's the thing: no other strings are sounding!

The intonation is the most stark on the 7th fret, but is also noticeable either side, and disappears by the time I get to the 12th fret. Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this? No other strings are affected. Having a vague idea of how phasing effects are created, I'm wondering if there's something odd going on with the pickup that's introducing a very slight delay to one part of the signal? 

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

So I was about to reply saying that as I'm hearing it cleanly through headphones, that's what makes me think it's an electronics issue. But you've inspired me to listen closely while unplugged, and I think I can just about hear the same intonation beating...

The note isn't also sounding cleanly, so there may be a fret issue. Time to de-string and give the fretboard a good clean, and possibly check the neck action too. Will see if that sorts it out!

23 hours ago, M-Bass-M said:

I have '93 MIJ Fender Precision which has an extremely odd intonation issue. Basically, when I sound the 7th fret on the 'G' string, as the note plays I get a very distinct intonation sound - as if another string is sounding the same note, but is slightly out of tune causing a distinct "beating" sound. But here's the thing: no other strings are sounding!

Like this:

58 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The incriminated string could be twisted (fitting issue), its inner core could be loose (manufacturing issue) or it could simply be a defective string...

Hmm, if it's not something obvious resonating but still audible when unplugged, I'd say probably this.  Have you tried taking off and re-seating the G-string?

@Woodinblack not like that - although that's an interesting conundrum in its own right!

@Jakester looking at how the string flows from the tuning peg, through the tree and the nut, it looks like it's slightly off as it passes through the tree, so that's worth investigation. The whole fretboard could do with a clean, so the next step is to take the strings off, give everything a good clean, and see if that sorts it.

As @HowieBass says, it is most likely something vibrating in resonance.

The 7th fret is an interesting one:

- it is one of the few frets where the note plucked forward of the fret (ie 7th fret to bridge) is the same as the note plucked behind the fret (ie 7th Fret to nut)

- it is the fret where the lower open string is also the same note as the fretted string next to it

Other common resonance areas include the stretch of string between the nut and the tuner post - these can 'harp', especially if they don't have string trees.

If you pluck that note while damping in all the usual spots, you may find what is vibrating in unison.  And my guess is that it is a vibration - I would not expect anything electronic to 'beat'

Edited by Andyjr1515