Why become a member? ×

Yamaha THR10II for bass?

LeftyJ

14660531_800.jpg

I've been looking into getting one of these as a practice amp for home use, as I'm deeply impressed with all the videos and reviews I've seen of these tiny amps. It's a collaboration between Yamaha's musical instruments branch and their hifi branch, and packs a 20 watt stereo amp and two full-range 3" speakers. It has 15 guitar amp simulations and 3 bass amps and a whole bunch of effects. I'm planning on using it for guitar mostly, as I really like the idea of a small all-in-one solution that I can take anywhere, that doesn't necessarily have to rely on a computer or external amplification (like a POD). I'm really curious if anyone has ever tried one, and in particular for bass - as none of the reviews I've seen seem to cover bass.

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

I have the THR10 rather than this model and it works very well on bass as a practice tool. I got it mainly for guitar too but the bass sound is actually very good. 

I had a THR10. Four string bass sounded good through it, and surprisingly loud! A low B might test it, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 27/11/2020 at 15:56, LeftyJ said:

I pulled the trigger today. I was hoping for a nice black friday deal, but couldn't find any so in the end I just turned to Thomann. Really looking forward to it! 

How have you been getting on with it?

Atm I'm using a very old Peavey 15w practice amp. At low volume, it sounds a bit underwhelming - a raw, untextured kind of noise -  and so have been trying to work out what would be the best way of getting a warmer, more pleasurable sound without making any more noise. This seems like it could be what I'm looking for.

I know the modelling has only three bass amps, but all I would want would be to find one setting that I really like, that I could use the entire time. 

Until I learnt about this amp, I had been thinking my best option might be to combine a cab sim (eg the Neunaber Iconoclast) with a small FRFR active speaker 

Edited by Ricky Rioli

11 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

How have you been getting on with it?

Atm I'm using a very old Peavey 15w practice amp. At low volume, it sounds a bit underwhelming - a raw, untextured kind of noise -  and so have been trying to work out what would be the best way of getting a warmer, more pleasurable sound without making any more noise. This seems like it could be what I'm looking for.

So far I love it for guitar, but have been slightly disappointed by the bass amps and haven't used it much for bass. The tones are great, and very useful, so that's really not the problem. But you really need to be careful with the volume levels to keep the amp from clipping and the speakers from farting, and it can be a bit finnicky to find the right balance between input gain, patch level and master volume for it to sound right and clean. The same happens with my 7-string guitar. But maybe my idea of "practice volume" is a bit different, because I've been using a 150 watt EBS NeoDrome 12" at home for so long :$

I've also found the speakers and the way the housing are built make for a very narrow angle in front of the amp where the tones are good, with sufficient brightness. Move outside of this angle, and you'll be tempted to turn it up too loudly or EQ it overly brightly, which really isn't necessary when you keep this angle in mind. I haven't played bass through it in a while, will need to retry with the amp dead center in front of me at ear level. This realization came to me only recently, so thanks for reminding me :) 

Overall it is a very impressive piece of kit, and the guitar tones are incredible. Don't use it without the excellent Bluetooth app (or on your computer, through USB) for patch editing, it really opens up possibilities that aren't accessible through the onboard controls. Like 30-something fun factory presets that are a great starting point for creating your own sounds, and additional fx and amp parameters that you can't access through the limited controls on the amp itself. The app is very easy to use and the amp responds to changes immediately. It works great on both smartphone and tablet, but I favour my tablet because all parameters fit on the screen at once. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I haven't played bass through it in a while, will need to retry with the amp dead center in front of me at ear level. This realization came to me only recently, so thanks for reminding me :) 

When you do this, I would be interested to hear what happens to the sound quality when you drop the volume into its lower reaches - if the richness of the texture slips away

13 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When you do this, I would be interested to hear what happens to the sound quality when you drop the volume into its lower reaches - if the richness of the texture slips away

Will do! 

• Thanks 1