Why become a member? ×

Neck Dive

stewblack

Are there any non invasive solutions for this problem? I bought a beautiful bass hereabouts, it took a huge BC effort to get it to me, but I can't play it because I only have two hands and my left one is busy holding the neck up. 

Definitely don't want to have any holes chopped in it. The only thing I've found that helps is to hang something off the rear strap button, thus balancing the beast at the cost of greater body weight. But its an inelegant solution and unpleasant with a weight swinging around back there. 

1 hour ago, Jakester said:

Big wide suede strap?

I have shoulder problems, using a strap to prevent neck dive exacerbates the problem. But thank you. 

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Give it to me. You'll never have to worry about the neck dive again. 😁 

You have too many basses anyway. 😉

Oh God its true. 

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

I think he of ‘unmentionable’ fame extended the top button by an inch or so on his ‘Ric style bass’ discussed elsewhere on here.....

All a bit cryptic that! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Couple of pics nicked off t'net, same idea, different approach.

image.jpeg.fda3fe0ebbab99fc6cfccc08cc458a8a.jpegimage.jpeg.ca92aa78861566ae4aeb011b33cd3393.jpeg

Oooh, that's very interesting. Thank you. 

EDIT - no go I'm afraid. Set neck =no neck plate. Button on the back of body = not secure enough. 

Edited by stewblack

The cure on my SG bass was Hipshot USA tuners.  Schallers or Gotohs also seem a good possibility.   With the Gibbo button on the back I use the trusty straplock fitting.  It also has the added advantage of tilting the bass away from my body and making the left hand easier.    It would be possible to have something fabricated as per the G&L ASAT picture @Paul S has above.  This could be flat aluminium  bar screwed into the back of the bass with a straplock bolted to it (easy diy).

Edited by 3below
  • Thanks 1

Ah....

In that case I'm not going to suggest what I was going to suggest.  If it's what I think it is, it's one of the nicest feeling neck heels I've ever come across and not one to drill a hole in an unusual place (which was what I was going to originally suggest you could try).

So - in terms of fully reversible:

Lightweight tuners (have a peep at Axesrus Licenced Hipshots.  Much, much cheaper but pretty good)

Wider strap or harness strap (I seem to remember someone at the SW Bassbash with a brilliant one?)

Extension button as suggested by @Paul S (hope all well with you Paul!)

I can see why you don't want to hand a weight on the back - I suspect this is pretty heavy to start with ;)

You can get an indication of whether lightweight tuners would work, without spending money upfront, by removing one or two of the existing tuners and see if the balance of the bass improves. If it does, work out the weight of the tuners still remaining on the bass. That is the total amount that four new lightweight tuners must not weigh more than.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 16/11/2020 at 15:30, stewblack said:

Oooh, that's very interesting. Thank you. 

EDIT - no go I'm afraid. Set neck =no neck plate. Button on the back of body = not secure enough. 

I made a few strap extenders, similar to the one in the left pic, from carbom fibre.  One screw at the end into the body and supported against an additional strap button.  It's totally secure and folds away.  This was on a Steinberger Spirit XT2 "cricket bat".  I made a few extra and gave them away on here.  It takes time to make them but it doesn't require a lot of skill.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Ah....

In that case I'm not going to suggest what I was going to suggest.  If it's what I think it is, it's one of the nicest feeling neck heels I've ever come across and not one to drill a hole in an unusual place (which was what I was going to originally suggest you could try).

So - in terms of fully reversible:

Lightweight tuners (have a peep at Axesrus Licenced Hipshots.  Much, much cheaper but pretty good)

Wider strap or harness strap (I seem to remember someone at the SW Bassbash with a brilliant one?)

Extension button as suggested by @Paul S (hope all well with you Paul!)

I can see why you don't want to hand a weight on the back - I suspect this is pretty heavy to start with ;)

I'm not going to put any holes in it. The strap button is on the back so no way to extend that with a single fixing, it will just rotate. A wide strap pulls on my damaged shoulder. 

I was at sw bash 2 years ago with a waist strap made from a weightlifting belt, but it needs holes drilling. 

It's an absolute beauty to look at and to play, if I end up having to move it on I can't be putting holes in it. 

I played Thunderbirds for about ten years, about a dozen went through Chez Johnson. 

Because I'm a strapping chap i never suffered this neck dive people keeping going on about; sure if I took both hands off the bass it would rotate on it's axis, but then every bass I've owned has done this. 

You play with both arms/hands on the instrument; if you're having difficulty controlling the balance of an instrument that weighs less than 9lbs, most of which is carried by your shoulder, you probably need more protein in your diet.

• Haha 1