Why become a member? ×

Finished! It's a bass, Jim...

Andyjr1515

OK - that's what I CALL a routing template :D:

V0A7NaQl.jpg

This is dampened and so it pretty much the colour it is going to be when finished.  Bear in mind, of course, that most of the central block will be taken up with fretboard, pickups and bridge, but that quilting that is already starting to show is really going to pop out once the finish is finally on:

1NSIPRyl.jpg

It's why I love walnut...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It took me a little while to get my head around the SimS Superquads when I did Mick's Silk Bass and then realised I was over-complicating it in my head.  They are actually very straightforward to fit.

Each of the pickups has it's own wire-loomed three-way switch giving it the option of, basically, Jazz; P and Humbucker

In all other respects, except for the battery which is just for the LED's on each, they act exactly the same as standard passive pickups.

And so to wire them up, I will need to create a 6-way (actually, I realise it's 7 way - apologies, @leftybassman392 !) switching - bridge only; middle only; neck only; bridge and middle; middle and neck; all three - and the one I'd forgotten - the 'telecaster' bridge and neck.

8-way, if you include off-off-off: 0-0-0, 0-0-1, 0-1-0, 0-1-1, 1-0-0, 1-0-1, 1-1-0, 1-1-1

And don't forget that you should be able to reverse the phase on each of them too, so you'd probably want three centre-off DPDT switches. Where's the "evil grin" emoji? Ah, 😈 😈

• Haha 1

One Sims quad = 3 ways (4  Inc off)

Two sims quads  = 15 ways (4 X 4 -1)

Three Sims quads  = 63 ways ( 4x4x4-1 )

He missed a trick by not having positions for a) reverse p, b) both j locations.  Then you could have 6x6x6-1 ways = 215 different basic pickup options.

Look forward to seeing it at the next Midlands bass bash!

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IIRC the original Sims pickups had to be paired with their own pre-amp that worked in conjunction with the coil switching to prevent noticeable changes in level when selecting the different coil modes. Has the revised version got around this problem?

One of the notable features of the ones I fitted in Mick's 'Silk Bass' was just how even the levels were across all options so presumably, yes, they must have sorted it.  There's a mention of how even it is in the Basschat video - and you can actually hear that there is no discernible change in volume through Nick's demo of pretty much all of the positions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NickA said:

Look forward to seeing it at the next Midlands bass bash!

Wasn't there something with a set of these at the last midlands bash? I'm sure there was something with a pretty complicated pickup on the left by the window. Two up from Luke & me in the corner.

Or was I hyper having eaten too much cake and am imagining it?

Indeed ... that's where I got to try one. It was near Luke and opposite me. 

It was an enfield (cannon?) with a "super 8" pickup I think - two quads in one casing, but with less flexibility as to where you put the coils along the strings.  Not sure they make those any more.

image.png.e2f19222aa07452d13cdf593eb6e4c9a.png

I quite liked it set in Jazz bass mode, in which it sounded quite like a normal Jazz bass.  So if I wanted that sound, I'd probably buy a jazz bass.

Same bloke was selling an amazing red bass with three sets of american built pickups which sounded incredible, but looked ... just weird.  Cannot track that bass or its maker down.

Edited by NickA

1 hour ago, NickA said:

Indeed ... that's where I got to try one. It was near Luke and opposite me. 

It was an enfield (cannon?) with a "super 8" pickup I think - two quads in one casing, but with less flexibility as to where you put the coils along the strings.  Not sure they make those any more.

image.png.e2f19222aa07452d13cdf593eb6e4c9a.png

I quite liked it set in Jazz bass mode, in which it sounded quite like a normal Jazz bass.  So if I wanted that sound, I'd probably buy a jazz bass.

Same bloke was selling an amazing red bass with three sets of american built pickups which sounded incredible, but looked ... just weird.  Cannot track that bass or its maker down.

Oh - I remember that red one!  I think there's a photo on the Events page.

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Been all through the 2019 thread

Me too. Think the seller told me it was the only electric bass made by a Bristolian acoustic guitar maker.  But a search of acoustic Luther's didn't help.  Amazing "Smith plus" build quality and a great sound, but ugly as .... and not that comfy to play.

Still waiting on the wood - probably next week now.  I think DD's are really busy (which is a good thing in the long run :) )

Anyway - keeping busy, I decided to clear a few infrequently used drawers full of random stuff.  And one of those contained an unused 9v battery...and I haven't done anything to it...and it wasn't shorting on anything...and the drawer was dry and nowhere near any heat or light... :

07LKKkFl.jpg

H7VNlUyl.jpg

Just how I found it.  And those cells are rock solid.  And who knew they had cells inside them anyway???  And...er...do they do this????? :shok:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1