Why become a member? ×

Finished! It's a bass, Jim...

Andyjr1515

20 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Look forward to seeing your build progress - presumably you'll be taking this to the SW bash next year?....

No - I suspect @Jus Lukin would be a bit miffed if I still had it then ;) 

Mind you...if @Frank Blank can make the SW bash all the way from his, you never know...we may be able to persuade @Jus Lukin  (it's worth it for the food alone!)

26 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Mind you...if @Frank Blank can make the SW bash all the way from his, you never know...we may be able to persuade @Jus Lukin  (it's worth it for the food alone!)

It’s roughly a 450 mile round trip for me, I’d do it if it were twice as far, the food, the people, it’s a superb Bash.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I've never been to a bass bash- it's just over a 400 mile round trip for me, but I might be able to tie it in with a few days away with Mrs Lukin. I'll see how it all pans out in '21!

• Like 1

It's really not the point of choosing the SimS pickups, but I'm stumped on the total number of pickup options.

I've got 9 single pickup options and 27 doubles which gives the 36. I hit my mathematical limit on the triples, though. Writing a list or tapping out the possibilities with my fingertips, the ol' cauliflower wheezes to a halt at 21. The formulae are beyond me as it's a mix of permutation and combination, I think.

So 57 is my probably wrong sum.

Regardless, although I've never named a bass before, '42' seems quite an apt moniker for this one!

Edited by Jus Lukin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The more I think about it, it ties in nicely.

Bass has certainly given my life meaning, and this design was only reached after a long period of considerable pondering. It will probably have the dowdy brown looks of Arthur Dent in his dressing gown, and electronics almost preposterous enough for the bass player from Disaster Area!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

You rang?

th?id=OIP.54pJ1kyXjwEYVTwCMeYC7wHaGI%26p

:)

Three pickups each with three configurations (Humbucker; P-bass split; Jazz 'single coil') and themselves able to be combined in four ways (bridge + middle; bridge + neck; middle + neck; bridge + middle +neck)

How many combinations altogether (ie how many sounds, assuming each combination is a discernibly different sound)? 

There is a prize - but unfortunately, due to Covid 19 restrictions there's no chance, mate there may be difficulties in the fulfilment  of our obligations to you. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

:)

Three pickups each with three configurations (Humbucker; P-bass split; Jazz 'single coil') and themselves able to be combined in four ways (bridge + middle; bridge + neck; middle + neck; bridge + middle +neck)

How many combinations altogether (ie how many sounds, assuming each combination is a discernibly different sound)? 

There is a prize - but unfortunately, due to Covid 19 restrictions there's no chance, mate there may be difficulties in the fulfilment  of our obligations to you. 

So, you have 3 essentially identical pickups, each of which has 3 configurations, and you have 4 different switching options as between the 3 pickups. Is that right?

Assuming the above, you can take each switching option and deal with it separately.

Option 1: B+M: you have 3x3 = 9 options

Option 2: B+N: likewise you have 9 options

Option 3: M+N: again, you have  9 options

Option 4: B+M+N: you have 3x3x3 = 27 options.

Total options = 9+9+9+27 = 54 options.

Theoretically they should all give different results; whether anybody would notice all the differences is an entirely different question of course... 9_9

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I like that a LOT.  Especially if you have a Don't Panic sticker made up for it.

image.png.eed413397568ee5357350c725221ecd7.png

When I play, folks DO panic and shove any d**n thing they can find in their ears. 

Pete and I used to play in a venue where the emergency exit opened out straight onto the road.  I used to have to do a quick safety briefing before each gig along the lines of, "The safest exit is back through the door you came in.  However, if you are just too desperate to get out quickly, there is an emergency exit over there - but please be careful because there may be passing traffic."

Generally, they were willing to risk being knocked over. ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Jus Lukin said:

Yes, each pickup will have an on/off switch, rather than all going to a selector, so all and any options will be available.

That changes the result a bit.

In addition to the 54 options listed above you would have an additional 3+3+3 = 9 options.

New total would therefore be 54+9 = 63 options

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

That changes the result a bit.

In addition to the 54 options listed above you would have an additional 3+3+3 = 9 options.

New total would therefore be 54+9 = 63 options

Good lord, that's ridiculous! I'm not sure we've mentioned yet that the neck pickup may also be routable to a second output for Ric-O-Sound-esque dual channel stuff too! 😄

Thanks for doing the sums- even if I had arrived at the correct number I wouldn't have trusted that I was accurate!

8 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I don't suppose you'd have all three together...?

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Just before I go, and without wishing to criticise the design in any way, the words 'sledgehammer' and 'nut' spring unbidden to mind. :)

The irony is that there are only six or so main configurations I'm aiming for- the rest are potentially useful, but essentially collateral damge!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Good lord, that's ridiculous! I'm not sure we've mentioned yet that the neck pickup may also be routable to a second output for Ric-O-Sound-esque dual channel stuff too! 😄

Thanks for doing the sums- even if I had arrived at the correct number I wouldn't have trusted that I was accurate!

The irony is that there are only six or so main configurations I'm aiming for- the rest are potentially useful, but essentially collateral damge!

You're welcome. :hi:

Just for comparison, I had Rob Williams make me a 3-pickup custom Telecaster a few years ago. It has a tappable HB at the bridge and SCs in the middle and neck positions. With a bit of trick wiring he got it to give 11 different combinations. I can tell the difference between any of them back-to-back, but in isolation I think I'd struggle with some of them. Like you though, I only ever use a few of them on anything like a regular basis.

Edited by leftybassman392