Why become a member? ×

Finished! It's a bass, Jim...

Andyjr1515

This bass is simply stunning. Visually everything just works perfectly, from the warmth of the colours to the modern hardware. The craftsmen ship is, from the diary, absolutely top notch and I can only imagine it'll sound superb. 

We all like different features but there is nothing on this bass I could imagine changing. 

Absolutely perfect. 

🙂👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PlungerModerno said:

Or maybe somethings truly unique: A fretless and fretted pair might be had for a wedge that big, might even be able to get matching tops & all sorts of wonders...

Matching phoenix tail feathers for the neck cores?

"The wand chooses the wizard, Harry, just like the bass chooses the player"

Edited by Richard R
  • Haha 4

Thanks folks!

Yes - I'm really pleased.  And yes, let's shed any pretence of false modesty, it's my 5th :party:    Kert, of this parish, started it all off by submitting the Camphor Single Cut I built for him. 

I'm sure that No Treble must think I have some small industrial unit somewhere churning these things out...let's hope they don't ever do a "Builder's Workshop" feature xD  

"And as we go down the stone steps to the dark small cellar space, taking up most of the available space pushed up against the wall is a single, small workbench.  When asked whether this was all there was, Rogers replied that it was, in the words of Monty Python, 'LUXURY!' compared to the rickety Workmate sited at the bottom of the pond using nought but the brick he used to use!"

Anyway, must rush - I have to stop strangers in the street to shout to them over the masked social distance to 'cop a look at the No Treble website.'  :lol:   

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 6
  • Haha 8

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Andy and I will be meeting to exchange the bass next weekend!

Actually, for the second time ;)

I passed it across a week or so ago but, once @Jus Lukin got it on his own rig there were a couple of things he noticed, notably that the D seemed a little muted and that there was a bit of a mains buzz in the P position.

We did the basic checks by email (I always assume that it's a 'feature' I've inadvertently introduced into the build :) ) but the results were a bit puzzling and led to thinking it was maybe more something to do with pickups than the bridge seating, etc..  I suggested that I take it back, double check the stuff we'd already checked and give it the full once over. 

I still have a hypothesis to bounce off Martin Sims on one issue for future reference, but I think I've bottomed what and why stuff was happening and it's ready to go back to @Jus Lukin this coming weekend. 

The pickups are big and can, of course, tilt side to side and front to back.  And the neck has an angle so the strings are angled relative to the top.  But because the Superquads are large and made up of four separate coils, for each combination of pickup and configuration, the signal can be disproportionately impacted by the both the sideways tilt and front back tilt - and the best physical position of the pickup for one setting isn't necessarily ideal for another setting.  So lots of fiddling about with the pickup height adjustment screws through headphones and a DAW waveform and I think I have 'the great British compromise' where it seems to work OK now for most settings.  And the most sensitive coil to get right was the rearward P coil.

And I think this is also related to the mains buzz in P setting.  The most fascinating thing with Superquads to an electric guitarist - remember these are passive pickups - is that the single coil (split coil in electric guitarist lingo) setting is SILENT.  Bung up the gain, bung up the treble, still silent.  That is unprecedented in the guitar world, where split coiling a humbucker to single coil always brings a bit of buzz with it.  So those two side-by-side coils must be humbucking.  And for the humbucker position to be humbucking, the other two coils must be the other way round.  And therefore, the two P coils must be the SAME way round - ie not humbucking.   I think they are, in effect, offset single coils!  That's the bit I just want to confirm with Martin.

But there was something I could do that would help - I have added an earth to the off/on toggles to ensure that any pickup that is off is fully shorted out (probably should have done this to start with).  Through my buzzy system it has reduced the solo P buzz considerably.  Now, if you whop up the gain and the treble, then the one configuration that still is going to buzz a bit is the P...but then again if I'm right, it would.  But in normal amp situations, even in my buzzy house, it doesn't seem to be as much a major issue.

• Like 3