Why become a member? ×

Finished! It's a bass, Jim...

Andyjr1515

Just as a post-script, it's worth going into a bit more detail of the two things that I think have got folks here particularly interested - the Nova headless system and SimS Super-Quads :)

First the headless system.  And what a nice, great to use and looks good too is Andre Passini's Nova Guitar Parts headless system!  String fitting (2 minutes for a full string change - I timed myself) and tuning up is effortless.  The tuners are as smooth as silk and very accurate.

qeT7WjSl.jpg

The only challenge I had was getting enough height adjustment of the saddles while still being able to clamp then in the normal way - but I have some thoughts how this could be easily and cheaply improved which I will bounce off Andre shortly. 

But for 'best bang for the buck', this system absolutely gets my vote and I will be fitting them on all future headless builds.  And that includes guitars because the guitar versions are just as good :)

The other is the SimS Super-Quad system.  They are fully passive pickups - the 9v battery is simply there to light the LEDs to tell you if you are in 'Split' 'Single' or 'Humbucker' mode.  All the tech happens in that fancy switch, including some very clever work that means that there is NO volume change from the humbucking to single/split coil modes.  And this is fully passive - remarkable.

Here are the options:

NpbYUQdl.jpg

The three switches at the bottom are the SimS Tri-logic switches, then the 3 at the top are simply on/off toggles for each.  There is a master volume and master tone and that's it.

They are a synch to fit - for each pickup you attach the loom and then solder an earth, the hot out and the 9v feed for the LED.  Mind you, it does take up quite a bit of real estate...especially with three!!

And this, to Martin Sims' and my knowledge, is the first bass in the world with three of these remarkable pickups ;)

Oh...and they sound great :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

I wonder if they'll do a custom order....

Or just left handed versions - so you could have a typical P in a lefty, or have a neck pickup single right next to the last fret!

EDIT: Depending on how they are made this could be as simple as rewiring the coils in a custom way, might even be a fairly easy mod reusing the existing switch, or it might need to be a custom built pickup and switch, which may not be doable close to the standard pickup cost, unless you order dozens of them.

Edited by PlungerModerno
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

I wonder if they'll do a custom order....

Oh, I'm sure.  Trouble is, SimS - excellent as they are - are already in king's ransom territory, so I think you'd probably be talking king's ransom squared :lol:

To be honest, I think that the - what was it: 125; 130; 126; 138? - number of combinations in sound might keep @Jus Lukin busy enough for long enough. ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I meant to add that.  It's spot on 7 lbs

So, for those living in modern days, where precision matters, it's exactly 3.17514659 kilos. :biggrin:

Very light for such a bass.

Again congratulations to you @Andyjr1515: it's a superb bass !

I think I like combination 124, but 123 is good too with that humbucker on neck pickup. That said position 001 is my favourite, but what does it do exactly, except sparkles @Jus Lukin ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PlungerModerno said:

I imagine without the weight of the wood and tuning machines at the end of the neck, it's a lot more neutral on even a scrawny strap, even with such a short upper horn.

The bridge is well back putting the front button almost in the goldilocks zone so it probably wou!d have been OK.

But what would have been more a challenge with the body shape would have been playing over the knee.  Because the waist is so far forward, you play with the large rear bout resting on your knee and, with the bass held head slightly high, it balances comfortably.  With a headstock, this would have been more of a challenge. ;)

• Like 1

Just out of idle curiosity sparked by this thread in General Discussion that features an £8k Fender Custom Shop Precision.

Would I theoretically be able to get more than one of Andy's latest masterpiece for the same money?

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Just out of idle curiosity sparked by this thread in General Discussion that features an £8k Fender Custom Shop Precision.

Would I theoretically be able to get more than one of Andy's latest masterpiece for the same money?

For £8k I imagine you'd get more than one of the most specced basses Andy's ever had commissioned, using every clamp in the tri-county area....

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

For £8k I imagine you'd get more than one of the most specced basses Andy's ever had commissioned, using every clamp in the tri-county area....

That's what I figured.

And you'd be getting something truly unique built from the blocks up.

• Like 1