Why become a member? ×

Finished! It's a bass, Jim...

Andyjr1515

15 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Love the colour palette - keep it going using brass/ gold finish hardware?

Thanks.

Well - the Nova system we've gone for is black and (I think I remember correctly) we're going for a predominately toggle-switch arrangement for the pickups so probably not.  But you are right, it's all beginning to co-ordinate very nicely :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Because the fretboard will extend over the body by 40-50mm - and is coming in at an angle to the top.  So I will cut a tapered channel for it to come through so the end of the fretboard ends flush with the top.

I don't believe I specified all that!

But don't worry... I trusts ya! 😄

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Love the colour palette - keep it going using brass/ gold finish hardware?

Aaaahhh, The Silk Bass is an inspiration, but I wouldn't want a straight rip-off! (Not to mention that my weird ideas can limit options somewhat!)

• Like 1

I got the neck blank down close to final width, with enough wiggle room to let @Jus Lukin decide whether he prefers 17mm or 18mm spacing.

Based on that I was going to be cutting the back wings oversize at this stage, I was able to do this too even though the neck isn't at its final width.  And added the maple veneer so I didn't forget later ;)

DybGydHl.jpg

So we have a bass that is weeks and weeks away from finish, but at least is starting to look like a bass:

gl24X5El.jpg

e7HbHdHl.jpg 

• Like 6

As those who have had a custom build done will know, even in a detailed thread there's lots of PM work goes on behind the scenes. 

Most of it is questions from Andyjr1515 to the prospective owner, 'do you want this; do you want that; what colour of the other do you prefer...' and usually matched with responses from the prospective owner to Andyjr1515 along the lines of, 'well, LIKE I SAID THREE TIMES NOW;  Oh no - you haven't cut it have you?; Oh... I think we did spec a 6 string but now you've only left enough room for three strings...'     Just normal supplier/customer communications, really. xD

Anyway, while I've been doing the stuff on @Fishman 's Wal save, this back and forth has been going on between @Jus Lukin and me and I'm now in a position to start a number of the next steps.

While the fret cutting jig is out and screwed down on my bench top, I'll be fret slotting, although for this build we are going for a radiused board and, to minimise any possibility of chipping, I will do that first.  Then the slots.  And then we are going for a couple of swifts at the 12th too :) 

@Jus Lukin is opting for no 'f'hole with some sound logic that, because the bridge and Superquads will hide so much of the walnut figuring, it seems a pity to lose even more with a hole in the middle of what's left.

But that means that I can also now glue the top to the neck :)

And so that's broadly what I'll be doing over the next couple of days :D

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 4

It's like the one on the front... only it's behind.

You might be the first one ever to do it!  Think of the fame and good fortune that would result just from the controversy....

PS:  I was pulling your leg whilst wondering what our Norris is up to these days.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Si600 said:

IIRC, the Norrisole was a series of holes, descending in size, set into a carved recess in the shape of teardrop 'f' hole. He did it on the Nozcaster.

Ah - yes.  I remember now.  It looked great on his, but no, we're going with maximum figuring and minimum holes (except for the three very large ones the Superquads will occupy) :)

• Like 1

Clearly the thread is moving too slowly xD

And so today was start of fretboard day.  First job was to square it up and cut it to the 'widest plus a bit' width.

Then it was two-sided taped to the radiusing rig:

On9obKll.jpg

The G&W rig is great.  The fine lines resulting from the fact that the router bottom blades are hardly ever absolutely square but are easily sanded off with a radius block:

LSGW3kxl.jpg

0U2OB9yl.jpg

Tomorrow's job is marking out the radiused board with fret positions for the 30" scale  - it's a job where you need some decent daylight!

I will be using the same fret slotting mitre jig as used on @Fishman 's Wal board, but indexed manually instead of using a frets template.

With luck, I will be able to fit the two MoP swifts at the 12th before attention starts moving towards preparation for the non-Christmas Christmas - which will start with a pretty decent vacuuming of all of the ebony chips and unbelievably fine dust that has settled on most vertical horizontal surfaces.  (Did I mention - if you ever sand ebony, you really must wear a proper dust mask...this is no time to end up in A&E with a respiratory condition ;) ).

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 2