Why become a member? ×

Oh, no! A swapping speaker driver thread!!!

Pea Turgh

Calm down, calm down - not done anything silly... yet.

I have a gig rig which is great, but every now and again (not so much these past few months) I go round my mates house for a quiet jam to work new songs out, and the gig rig is OTT.

I bought this tiny little guitar combo so my daughter could have it in her room with the Hohner Pianet, but that fad has passed, so I’m wondering - could I put a bass driver in this poxy amp to have a little ‘house jam’ combo?

The unit is sealed, and I’d like it to stay that way, so does that make driver selection easier?  Looks to be about 6.5”.  I’ll get the internal volume later.

Thoughts?

B6932266-B4C8-49D6-B3AA-28C6A27902B8.jpeg

7E9C2FFF-390B-4E2B-9C87-E0B1F77ACFE6.jpeg

1 hour ago, itu said:

If you keep the volume down, there is no need to change the speaker. If the volume is in need, well...

Though the stock speaker would by far most likely be voiced for guitar, which, especially at only 6.5", would most likely make it extremely poor at reproducing the low end of the bass, but which a speaker designed specifically as a bass driver, even at the just about 6.5" of the stock one, would no doubt do a much better job at.

Though in any case you should properly still expect from a just 6.5" speaker unit, no matter the design, to not exactly work optimally for use with a bass, so if it is possible to enlarge the speaker mounting hole in that little combo like a couple of more inches it might be worth looking into your options for fitting an 8" speaker unit in it instead, since there are actually a few options for 8" speaker units on the market specifically designed to work as bass drivers that got a quite decent low end response for use with a 4 string bass (that is of course given that the space/volume of the speaker enclosure of the combo otherwise happens to actually accommodate that).  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

as this is a budget amp i'd be surprised if the standard speaker was anything other than something fairly generic, and the enclosure is really quite small even for the 6.5" driver, i'd be more tempted to sell the amp and pick up something that was designed for bass.

they do actually make a bass version that is the same size though, it would be interesting to know if they have different speakers.

Matt

Hi Pete, I'll get back to you later. I've just done this with a guitar combo of my son's, never used. It's still not brilliant but it'll do bass at a sufficient volume to play along with an acoustic guitar. It just involved a simple cab mod and a speaker swap. Camera's broken on my phone so it'll take me some time to show you what i did. I'll try and make some time this evening.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Matt P said:

as this is a budget amp i'd be surprised if the standard speaker was anything other than something fairly generic, and the enclosure is really quite small even for the 6.5" driver, i'd be more tempted to sell the amp and pick up something that was designed for bass.

But Matt, that would be the easy sensible option - it’s just not me 😂

28 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Hi Pete, I'll get back to you later. I've just done this with a guitar combo of my son's, never used. It's still not brilliant but it'll do bass at a sufficient volume to play along with an acoustic guitar. It just involved a simple cab mod and a speaker swap. Camera's broken on my phone so it'll take me some time to show you what i did. I'll try and make some time this evening.

Starr by name, Starr by nature!

18 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I know it’s a cheapo, but even so, the sound is just brittle.  Hifi speakers manage more bass.  Pretty sure I’ve seen someone else do something similar.

Did you read my reply, about looking into the possibility of enlarging the speaker mounting hole in your little guitar combo a couple of inches to make it possible to fit an 8" bass driver speaker unit into it, as that would likely, with the right 8" unit, give a much improved, actually even quite decent, result over what any 6.5" speaker unit, even if specifically designed as a bass driver, likely would for use with a bass guitar?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Did you read my reply, about looking into the possibility of enlarging the speaker mounting hole of your little guitar combo a couple of inches to make it possible to fit an 8" bass driver speaker unit into it, as that would likely give a much improved, actually even quite decent, result than any 6.5" speaker unit, even if designed as a bass driver, likely would?

I did.  Would be fairly straightforward to fashion a new baffle looking at it.  Was just thinking initially of doing the easiest thing possible to start with!  I’m not expecting miracles, just an improved low frequency.

Measurements are 12cm x 30cm x 23.3cm, and there are ports (dammit) 2 x 4cm.  Going to hook the amp up to something else to see what it sounds like....

2FE2469D-D65A-4ED7-8110-0D04460562D6.jpeg

I read a lot on here.  Some of it sticks, most phrases just sound familiar and when someone says them to me I look like a dog looking at its own reflection in a mirror.

So - at this most pathetic end of the spectrum (15watts in to a 6.5” driver, as cheaply as possible), do I go for higher sensitivity (92dB) or longer Xmax?  Only I found a driver on CPC for under 15 squid, but the Xmax is only 2.5mm.

Edited by Pea Turgh

Hi Peter, this is an odd one, the half roll surround suggests that this is a hifi speaker and that is what it is sold as. However for £12 you could just decide it is worth a try. The specs are a bit odd, for instance the 35W rating for a 1" coil on an aluminium former looks too low. I'd choose a known entity like the Fane 6-100 (£28) that I used or the Beyma CMV6. The Eminence Alpha that Bill suggested would be good too but expensive this side of the pond. However a 4x6 for £50+ some ply offcuts looks like fun, but I digress.

I'll put those specs into WinISD tonight and let you know.