Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro Washing Machine, £25, Brighton.

NikNik

58 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I had the head (Carlsbro Stingray) - circa 1978; first “proper” amp.   Not much cop, but it was fun pressing the band pass filter buttons.   And it had that “new amp” smell.   Wonder where it is now.....?  :scratch_one-s_head:

I would really like to try some of these amps with a modern cab and bass fitted with today's strings.  Would they be the dogs b*ll**ks or sadly lacking?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 3below said:

I would really like to try some of these amps with a modern cab and bass fitted with today's strings.  Would they be the dogs b*ll**ks or sadly lacking?

Lol, I suspect they would be improved but still sadly cr@p, and certainly underpowered.   Mind, I do still use (and occasionally gig) an ‘80’s Marshall Silver Jubilee 3530 head, which to my ears sounds as good as any modern SS head. If rather underpowered.  

On 15/11/2020 at 19:56, Bassassin said:

Same here, none more late 70s/early 80s. It was either one of these or an HH VS 1x15 100w combo, like wot I had.

After the WEM Dominator, I had the HH 1C100S and their 2 x 15" cab. With the wheels on the side, to turn it into a gear trolley!

9 hours ago, gjones said:

Back in the 80s, I had the 210 version, which would fart like a buffalo if you turned it up beyond 2 on the master.

I had a friend who had this version and it sounded ok, with his, new fangled, Japanese, Westone Thunder through it.

Speaking of farting, that's what I associate this combo with. I remember using one at a rehearsal basement and it was this model, the earlier one, before they went all 'Trace Elliot' in appearance. The band-pass filters did next to nothing but it was loud and farted hard if you dug in when playing.

carlsbro-stingray-bass-285652.jpg

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

Speaking of farting, that's what I associate this combo with. I remember using one at a rehearsal basement and it was this model, the earlier one, before they went all 'Trace Elliot' in appearance. The band-pass filters did next to nothing but it was loud and farted hard if you dug in when playing.

carlsbro-stingray-bass-285652.jpg

THAT is the one I had. (Not the exact one but same look)