Why become a member? ×

Help me mod this bargain bass!

IJE

• 1 month later...

I have number 4. My first bass and what got me into playing. I gave it to my niece to learn and by suprise got it back last year as they'd kept it. Apart from sentimental reasons I do love it as a pure P bass too. Swamp Ash. Solid build. Great sound. Mine is still 100% stick but been toying with upgrading loom and pickups too. 

£20 is an utter bargain for a bass like this. 

I've always wanted to get another one.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 14:02, SpondonBassed said:

As a Derby resident I would have to agree.  Keep the Ram.

image.png.13e872c0b2cc4b00c760e1f8b8477dfe.png

And here was I, born and bred at the red end of the A52 just about managing to refrain from making any comments about sheep and our East Midland neighbours. 🤣

Edit - to the op, cracking buy. I remember using a stock Encore P for many gigs in the 90’s. I would highly recommend a Kiogon loom and a CS ‘62 pickup though. Great combination.

Edited by Deedee

19 hours ago, dave moffat said:

Lovely looking project. My Daughter-in-law is very 'arty' and does pyrography if you want the ram redone to a very high standard.

I don't know why but I had to read that twice before I stopped smirking.

• Like 1

Looks pretty great as it is, if I was going to do anything with that it'd be a graffiti scribbles job like Leland Sklars bass..covered in signatures and such.

636180306_sklarbass.thumb.jpg.3a3a3ad8959ae9d8b445ab508ab3209c.jpg

Either getting it signed by people you care about (messages from the kids/nieces/nephews/friends and so on.) or replicating signatures and quotes from musicians you like.

• 1 year later...
On 26/12/2020 at 01:08, Mikey D said:

I have number 4. My first bass and what got me into playing. I gave it to my niece to learn and by suprise got it back last year as they'd kept it. Apart from sentimental reasons I do love it as a pure P bass too. Swamp Ash. Solid build. Great sound. Mine is still 100% stick but been toying with upgrading loom and pickups too. 

£20 is an utter bargain for a bass like this. 

I've always wanted to get another one.

I bought a LTD 83 about four years ago, and even though I own some other very nice basses it has seen some action in the studio of late.
I also picked up an 'Encore Vintage Standard' (released in 1995) at Cash Convertors for £50 this week - also solid ash body (nitro finish) with chunky & wide maple/rosewood neck, quality hardware (Don Lace Sensors, Grover machine heads, Wilkinson bridge, graphite nut). Like the LTD 83, where it fails is in the loom/pots, so it's getting a Cornell Active ST Plus mid boost in there later this week (plus the works tlc). Hoping it will give my 89 Strat Plus (my go to) a run for its money.

Encore Vintage Standard 1.jpg

Encore Vintage Standard 2.jpg