Why become a member? ×

Building a bass and cost

Fil1ip

The wood itself is pretty cheap. It is a bit harder to find quality wood, that is dried for instrument building. Try Mad Inter and similar companies.

Individual parts do not cost that much, but when you put everything together, the total cost may surprise you.

I just completed a scratch build, was about 600 quid in wood/parts/electronics etc, Depending on your choices it will quickly cost you anywhere between 200-250 on the lower side and if you go for really expensive woods and parts you can spend 1000 quid easily. And you need the correct tools of course..... 

• Like 2

It’s all about the gear used to build it - if you can replicate tools you use for other stuff, or are going to build a few then the cost starts to come down.

Materials and specs - it all depends what you want to use.

You can get for example a decent block or blocks of wood for around £30-50, but then again a set of strings can cost you that too, and it all tots up.

Is it building for self, for fun or to sell, each one will determine how much you can spend 

My advice is, get your pot of money for tools, get money pot for stuff and play the market for second hand stuff and new stuff, you can do refurbs. For example I got an old P bass body which was a bit of a wreck, repaired it and added bits a mixture of second hand and new, to make a very decent bass which I sold for cost (I didn’t charge my time). It was the fun factor for me.

I would say though, that even accounting for being frugal and second hand market scouring, you will look at about £200 at least

• Like 1

Unless you already have suitable tools they are most likely going to be more expensive than the materials needed to build a bass.

I've got a tool box full of stuff that's suitable for jobs around the house, but I don't think I'd want to use any of them for building a bass, without a lot fettling first. And while good power tools are not an absolute requirement, it's a lot easier and quicker if you don't have to do everything using just hand tools. You will however learn a lot about how to best sharpen chisels and plane blades.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1