Why become a member? ×

Lockdown purchasing ..............

ProfJames

I told myself I wasn’t going to buy any gear this year, I already have loads of stuff, and with no gigs on the horizon, only remote recording sessions, I thought I was safe from GAS. Would love a JMJ Mustang, or even a little Squier Bronco to pimp, but no, I’m all good for gear.

Anyway, I caved in and bought stickers. Flame away, flamers 😂

• Haha 1

I’m heading for a few weeks off work, recovering from surgery, so one thing I want to do is get better at bass repairs. I have two instruments with high frets, so I have a Thomann order in for miscellaneous tools & bits: fret rocker, string height gauge, fret file etc. A couple of EMG pickups for my HB Clonedberg, and an adjustable nut for my fret less. 

Edited by bnt

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn’t planned to purchase anything this year but I just scored a working Fostex X-14. Cassette 4-track recorders never came much more basic than these. I’d bought one for my wife about 20 years ago and we had both used it loads, but it stopped working and we couldn’t find anyone to repair it so I sold it for parts. Always fancied another one, and here we are. One of my band’s forthcoming 7” singles was done on our original X-14, and even though they’re obviously a bit lo-fi you can still get away with it. Yes, they’ve got no EQ controls but who needs EQ? EQ is just for posh kids with no funk isn’t it? Or summat? Anyway, tapes for days!

Flame away, flamers 😂

52AE803A-F956-4F33-A6D2-5ABF5116BB1F.jpeg.2b99cad68fb6cc64a81d0eb109b79026.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, meterman said:

I hadn’t planned to purchase anything this year but I just scored a working Fostex X-14. Cassette 4-track recorders never came much more basic than these. I’d bought one for my wife about 20 years ago and we had both used it loads, but it stopped working and we couldn’t find anyone to repair it so I sold it for parts. Always fancied another one, and here we are. One of my band’s forthcoming 7” singles was done on our original X-14, and even though they’re obviously a bit lo-fi you can still get away with it. Yes, they’ve got no EQ controls but who needs EQ? EQ is just for posh kids with no funk isn’t it? Or summat? Anyway, tapes for days!

Flame away, flamers 😂

52AE803A-F956-4F33-A6D2-5ABF5116BB1F.jpeg.2b99cad68fb6cc64a81d0eb109b79026.jpeg

Looks great.  Love that older tech!  Can you turn up my heating as well please?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

Looks great.  Love that older tech!  Can you turn up my heating as well please?

Haha, if there’s a box on the wall in the room with a big round dial, just crank it up baby.

If you’ve got a fancy hi-tech remote control system with the sensor on an outside wall that relies on wi-fi like our last one did, then... er, just stick flats on it and hope for the best, is what I’d do 👍

• Like 1

Just back from a little mountain farm in Risca, outside Newport where I got this stunning Stingray......not given it a full go yet but it is in A1, condtion 2016 build, Musicman OHSC, all the candy.   Great couple who I bought it from, good to meet genuine nice people, not a Basschat purchase!   Need to see what all the fuss is about with them.....any tips?  Been waiting a while for the right one,  think I found it aesthetically......see if I get on with it.....

MM1.jpg

• Like 4

I final caved in and bought strings for one of my acoustics, a mid-80’s Ibanez. Back in December @Dad3353 had commented on how grimy they were. The last time I’d changed them would have been in 2008 or something. So I went on the Thomann site and ordered some old folks strings for it. Can fully recommend flats on acoustics 👍

138DAC46-2A22-461C-AE3D-40C29482FE6C.thumb.jpeg.5cbdd842c1385b553e26658405204c3e.jpeg

Guitar not pictured because, well it’s a guitar and, “burn the witch” etc... 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sheesh. Gear lust hit me hard. 

First lockdown:

2009 American Standard Precision Bass (With custom shop 60s pup)

2000s Musicman Stingray

Last lockdown:

4 string Pedulla Rapture (My dream bass)

Boss BF2 Flanger
Boss DS2 Turbo Distortion
DOD Envelope Filter
Sovtek Bassballs
ZVex Sonar Tremolo
Fulltone OCD

Ok, MAYBE I have a problem

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Just pulled the trigger on a Rickenbacker 4003s 5 string

I am assured that Monday will be NBD...I have scheduled something in my work diary so that my boss will be under the impression that I am working on a project and should not be disturbed all day

I like your style @Monkey Steve..........priorities and wishlists merge, lovely bass............

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

I am assured that Monday will be NBD...I have scheduled something in my work diary so that my boss will be under the impression that I am working on a project and should not be disturbed all day

I have really REALLY liked the look of these. I am very envious!

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

@Happy Jack is rather fond of his :) 

Twelve days to go............my funds are OK but I think I had cabin fever as I bought several basses............nice being single!  Also I have noticed the prices creeping up due to departure from the EEC.........think I would look at the USA instead of Europe now for any bass purchase.  Had absolutely no hassle when I bought a headless Yam earlier this year (may have been fortunate) and I have ben told that the exchange rate should go in our favour for a few months - people in the know!  We'll see...................

Anyone got anything planned?  Noticing the prices increase in the UK?

I was sucked in by a bass demo that used a Beatbuddy for backing. I can’t remember what the bass was, but I bought a Beatbuddy mini (the one between the original mini and the mini2). It really has given focus to my practice and I’m actually doing some exercises in addition to tunes. So much better (and more expensive) than a metronome. 

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had last week off - booked in advance of the proposed lockdown easing, but it left me with a lot of spare time to be messing around with new gear the week before the shops reopened...

So I welcomed to the fold a couple of Darkglass pedals

MicroTubes X - still settling in.  I don't use fuzz a lot but I want a better option than the pedal I used when I was last called upon to distort the bass (the fuzz section of an Ampeg SCR DI).  So more as a tool for when I need it than for my main sound.  I think there's more exploring to be done

Harmonic Booster - wow!  I was put on to it by a guitarist mate who told me over a Zoom call/drink that when his band recorded their last album the producer put all the bass through one of these and while he didn't really understand what it did (had it been a guitar pedal he'd have know all about it, but being a guitarist he has no interest in what is happening to the bass) it just made the bass sound better.  He was not wrong

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 19:12, bnt said:

I’m heading for a few weeks off work, recovering from surgery, so one thing I want to do is get better at bass repairs. I have two instruments with high frets, so I have a Thomann order in for miscellaneous tools & bits: fret rocker, string height gauge, fret file etc. A couple of EMG pickups for my HB Clonedberg, and an adjustable nut for my fret less. 

I got out of hospital on Monday and the EMGs were only shipped on Monday too, six weeks after I ordered them. The rest of the order arrived weeks ago, and the fret rocker has already flagged several high frets on the HB, so I can address those if I have the energy. (I’m still pretty much in hit-by-a-truck mode most of the day.)

14 minutes ago, bnt said:

I got out of hospital on Monday and the EMGs were only shipped on Monday too, six weeks after I ordered them. The rest of the order arrived weeks ago, and the fret rocker has already flagged several high frets on the HB, so I can address those if I have the energy. (I’m still pretty much in hit-by-a-truck mode most of the day.)

Good luck with recovery mate