Why become a member? ×

Cover version beats the original!

Al Krow

While not beating the originals I love ‘Brass Against’, so much so I had tickets booked until they changed the date

this version of RATM,s ‘wake up’ is great as is their version of ‘killing in the name’

they also cover Audioslave and Tool songs

Edited by steve-norris

On 20/04/2022 at 13:35, lowdown said:

I did like Dylan's version but this version works for me as well.

The singing,  as always with Randy Crawford is superb but to me again over produced. I love the sax usually but that intro is over the top.

On 21/04/2022 at 19:21, Japhet said:

Can't post the vid (Youtube won't allow) but Chicago did a fantastic version of I'm a Man. It's in black and white on Youtube with Terry Kath beasting it on guitar.

Oh yes the days when Chicago were a rock band and not an extension of Peter Cetera's ego.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The singing,  as always with Randy Crawford is superb but to me again over produced. I love the sax usually but that intro is over the top.

I quite like it.... Just Sanborn with his usual blues licks. Quite laid back for him.

Probably in keeping with the vibe from the film(s) and Michael Kamen's scoring. Sanborn's Alto features prominently throughout. Same as Clapton as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

This came into my mind too. Great song, and yes, better than the already-good original.

Struck me as a strange choice of cover....  original fairly recent and in the same genre as the Pixies. People normally jump back in time or across genres for covers. They didn't attempt to significantly re-imagine it or anything either, but still worked. 

Hadn't seen the video before..... very good! Quick Wikipedia search shows that Black Francis only agreed to make a video if it was shot in one take of a live performance/mime by the band.

The director had the idea to set up 12 cameras focus on top/middle/bottom of the 4 members, cut into the 4*3 grid in the video.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Struck me as a strange choice of cover....  original fairly recent and in the same genre as the Pixies. People normally jump back in time or across genres for covers. They didn't attempt to significantly re-imagine it or anything either, but still worked. 

The same could be said of Penetration covering the Buzzcocks 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 29/04/2022 at 12:51, Nail Soup said:

This came into my mind too. Great song, and yes, better than the already-good original.

Hadn't seen the video before..... very good! Quick Wikipedia search shows that Black Francis only agreed to make a video if it was shot in one take of a live performance/mime by the band.

The director had the idea to set up 12 cameras focus on top/middle/bottom of the 4 members, cut into the 4*3 grid in the video.

I really like the Pixies take though I wouldn't say it's better than the JAMC original.  I agree about it being an odd choice. I've always thought the Pixies style would've been well suited to taking a country music classic and totally bastidising it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, odysseus said:

Sacrilege, I know. But I really like this, so nerrr!!.... 😛

Not sacrilege in my books, in which Prince isn't all that hype /myth have cracked him up to be. The original sounds so much of its time and has dated badly IMO and so was due for a bit of freshing up. I'm not a fan of this genre of music in the vid but it's definitely better than the original.

• Like 1