Why become a member? ×

Cover version beats the original!

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

I used to play this in a covers band - closer to this version than the Bob Seger version.

Great tune - I'm not sure that the Metallica version is better than the original, but they're both great. 

I used to be in a band that did a version of this - completely different to either Bob or Metallica's versions. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

For me, this is the benchmark on Dylan's Don't Think Twice, It's Alright... and Josh Cunningham's guitar solo is a right ripper. I remember when this album, this came out, I reached for the guitar to transcribe his solo. If you have never heard of the Waifs, go check them out. No nonsense pure musicianship.

• 1 year later...

Atomic Kitten went to #1 in the UK in 2002 with their cover of the "Tide is high".

But most of us would agree that the original by Blondie in 1980, which topped the charts in both the USA and UK was better, right?

Well yes and no  - the Blondie version was defo better. But it was also a cover which I'll have to fess, as a teenager a little bit smitten with Debbie Harry, I certainly hadn't spotted, haha! 

Blondie's cover certainly trounces the 1967 original by the Paragons. But all credit to the Paragons for writing such a catchy tune that was still topping the charts 35 years later.

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

We’ve just introduced this version of the New Order song into our set and it’s going down a storm at the gigs so far….

I've always really liked the original, but that version is an absolute belter. I bet the live energy is fantastic. 

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Atomic Kitten went to #1 in the UK in 2002 with their cover of the "Tide is high".

But most of us would agree that the original by Blondie in 1980, which topped the charts in both the USA and UK was better, right?

Well yes and no  - the Blondie version was defo better. But it was also a cover which I'll have to fess, as a teenager a little bit smitten with Debbie Harry, I certainly hadn't spotted, haha! 

Blondie's cover certainly trounces the 1967 original by the Paragons. But all credit to the Paragons for writing such a catchy tune that was still topping the charts 35 years later.

Blondie have a knack for making cover versions their own.

Their cover of The Nerves' "Hanging on the Telephone" makes the original sound like a very poor demo.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rich said:

I've always really liked the original, but that version is an absolute belter. I bet the live energy is fantastic. 

Yep you can really kick the chorus up a gear live - and I'm amazed how many people know the words. I thought it would be a bit left of centre for our typical crowd....

39 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Their cover of The Nerves' "Hanging on the Telephone" makes the original sound like a very poor demo.

That's a great observation. I'd never really considered Blondie to be an outstanding covers band, but they absolutely were!

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I prefer the cover by 90s Polish band Hey...

...but then I would. What a voice. 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The amusing thing about Mike Flowers' cover is, given it's retro take on the track, a lot of people assumed it was the original! 

Does not surprise me. The cover is really good and "Lou Reed, when asked at the time whether he had heard anything by Oasis, claimed: "Not that I would know. Oh, Wonderwall? The one I know is the Mike Flowers one. That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life."[wiki]

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The amusing thing about Mike Flowers' cover is, given it's retro take on the track, a lot of people assumed it was the original! 

I have to admit I was one of those people. I’d not really payed much attention to music in the early 90s, heard the MF version first then thought Oasis  (who I had no idea who they were) had done a pretty good modern version of it.

But I still think Mike Flowers version is the best. And I really like Oasis.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I have to admit I was one of those people. I’d not really payed much attention to music in the early 90s, heard the MF version first then thought Oasis  (who I had no idea who they were) had done a pretty good modern version of it.

Very honest of you Lozz to admit that! And I suspect you weren't the only one on here to do so! 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

In my old function band we used to do the Mike Flowers version, often at weddings when it was  a great ice breaker - the older guests 

probably thought it was some sort of obscure 60's lounge tune, and the younger people got it straight away. Went down great!

• Like 1