Why become a member? ×

Cover version beats the original!

Al Krow

20 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Good question, don't know the answer.......... did people talk about cover versions before before self-written material became common? Maybe it was just versions.

Walk on By was actually a poor example as it was written for Dionne Warwick. However, her other track from the same session was Anyone Who Had a Heart, which was a Cilla Black hit this sise of the pond. 

I think you a right. Self written is probably where the cover version comes from. Earlier (Jazz era) they were Standards.

Often, I prefer Tim Hardin's originals to their way more famous cover versions, and enjoy them deeply whilst people around me laugh...

...but "Misty Roses" from Colin Blunstone's first album "One Year" is something else, in large part because of the stunning strings segment composed by Chris Gunning.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but it nearly rules my world.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Walk on By was actually a poor example as it was written for Dionne Warwick. However, her other track from the same session was Anyone Who Had a Heart, which was a Cilla Black hit this sise of the pond. 

Seem to remember an interview with Dionne Warwick where she implied she wasn't over the moon with Cilla nicking her tunes (Anyone who had a heart and Alfie) and having hits with them. 

13 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Often, I prefer Tim Hardin's originals to their way more famous cover versions, and enjoy them deeply whilst people around me laugh...

...but "Misty Roses" from Colin Blunstone's first album "One Year" is something else, in large part because of the stunning strings segment composed by Chris Gunning.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but it nearly rules my world.

Had no idea this song of his was covered.  Mr Hardin was such a talent.  I think he died the same week as John Lennon, that news overshadowing his own demise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Had no idea this song of his was covered.  Mr Hardin was such a talent.  I think he died the same week as John Lennon, that news overshadowing his own demise.

Oh, yeah. Through the years I've heard it covered many times, though I don't remember specifics.
Hm. Must go online and check those out.

Hardin too died way too young, at 39.

I'm gonna add a couple, but when a band or musician TOTALLY TRANSFORMS a song you gotta give props so yeah, Jimi's version of Watchtower and Yes's version of America (and our boy Chris rips the snot into it) BTW, when asked about Jimi covering his songs, Dylan said he was suprised he hadn't done more, "they were all his anyway". 

My pics. Isley Bros.- Summer Breeze -Seals&Crofts.    (I Know I'm) Losing You - Rare Earth Extended LP version w/ Killer guitar solo

On 15/11/2020 at 01:15, Al Krow said:

What tracks do you reckon the cover beats the original? (I think there was a short thread on this a few years back pre "change over" - but I'd be up for hearing from the current BC crew on what their views are!).

I totally rate Cream (who doesn't?!) - they were just an amazing 3 piece and this is a classic piece of blues rock from them:

...but having heard John Mayer on this cover, I think this crew just edges it!

I believe Albert King did the original version. IMO neither of these covers come close 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I actually prefer this to the original. He did a whole album called 'Rock Swings' which contained some great covers.

I can't agree to preferring that to the original, but perhaps the way it just works is testament to what a great melody writer Kurt Cobain was. 🙂

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

+ another for The Stranglers Walk on By. The original's very good but for me anything with JJ's growling bass and Hugh Cornwall's vocal is a winner

Gun's take on Word Up might just have the edge on the Cameo original

Couldn’t agree more.

Couldn’t agree less. 😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I can't agree to preferring that to the original, but perhaps the way it just works is testament to what a great melody writer Kurt Cobain was. 🙂

Yeah, Tom Scholz was a brilliant songwriter.... *cough* 'More Than A Feeling' ;)

As someone who really doesn't like the schmultz of country music, or country rock I think everything on the "Love Their Country" album by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes is superior to the originals once it received the punk treatment.

In complete contrast I Second That Emotion by Japan is IMHO better than the original.

5 minutes ago, Nicko said:

As someone who really doesn't like the schmultz of country music, or country rock I think everything on the "Love Their Country" album by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes is superior to the originals once it received the punk treatment.

MFATGG are the world’s best cover band, and that is a scientific fact.

Back on track, PWEI’s version of Sigue Sigue Sputnik’s ‘Love Missile F1-11’  is vastly superior.

23 hours ago, ProfJames said:

When does it stop being a cover as Whiskey in the Jar is not accredited to anyone I believe (please correct if I am wrong)? 

Interesting, there are examples of traditional songs where an artist comes up with a distinctive version that gets ripped off by someone else. In that case the example would be Thin Lizzy and Metallica for Whisky in the Jar.

Another would be House of the Rising Sun where Bob Dylan swiped Dave Van Ronk's arrangement.

• Like 1