Why become a member? ×

Cover version beats the original!

Al Krow

45 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

hhhhhmmmm not sure about this.

There have been a lot of great versions of Dylan songs, but the originals are great too. I think It's just that he's a great songwriter and leaves a lot of room for re-interpretations.

Just reminded me about how much I was blown away by this 19 y.o. before she became a global superstar.

Dylan has, for me without question, penned one of the most perfect love songs of all time with this and her vocals bring out the depth of emotion beautifully.

57 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Walk on By - The Stranglers

Emma - Sisters of Mercy

Like a Hurricane - The Mission

Which brings up the conundrum, when is a cover a cover? Walk on By is old school songwriting; songs which are then offered out often to multiple artists for recording. Who gets to claim the original? 

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Shipbuilding (Robert Wyatt) was later done by the songwriter Elvis Costello.

I don't think he was trying to better the RW version though... just document his own take.

Just as well, because that is an impossible task. RW's Shipbuilding is quite possibly my favourite single piece of recorded music ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

hhhhhmmmm not sure about this.

There have been a lot of great versions of Dylan songs, but the originals are great too. I think It's just that he's a great songwriter and leaves a lot of room for re-interpretations.

You won't get far around here with liking Dylan, Oasis, or Little Mix - unfortunately. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Real Me is a good shout, I'd forgotten that.  Ditto Mercy a couple of posts up.

Seeing 'Blinded By The Light' up there reminds me that I generally prefer Springsteen songs when they are performed by other people.  'Fire' by The Pointer Sisters', 'Born To Run' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. 

48 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I respectfully disagree, the Zutons original is far less cheesy.

Interesting one. The Zutons original is pretty darned good and they will no doubt continue to be enjoying the royalties from what Amy / Ronson managed to do with the cover, which is essentially a "PMJ version" of the original. But it was the Amy version that made this into a global hit.

Cheesy cover by Amy W? Well maybe after being played incessantly for over a decade since it was released it now feels like that, but when it first came out it was just instantaneously catchy and the bass line is still fabulous.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Which brings up the conundrum, when is a cover a cover? Walk on By is old school songwriting; songs which are then offered out often to multiple artists for recording. Who gets to claim the original? 

Good question, don't know the answer.......... did people talk about cover versions before before self-written material became common? Maybe it was just versions.

• Like 1