Why become a member? ×

Cover version beats the original!

Al Krow

31 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

No cover-that-beats-the-original off the top of my head right now, but just want to relay that Rod Argent, when performing with Colin Blunstone in the early noughties often was asked:
- "Why in the world did you play a Santana song?"
Liked that, and so did our Rod. 

Watching the documentary on Peter Green recently, cringed when Carlos said “we took Black Magic Woman to another level”. I honestly could’ve slapped him. Carlos, you are the toy town, pound shop version of PG.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Just not a fan of the Beatles presentation...

Some great singwriting and when presented by another band, usually has a good twist to the presentation, more of a feel n vibe.

Maybe comes down to the Beatles or Stones?

Same with The Who. Just dont get it, but a Big Led Zep fan.

Well, as evidenced in a couple of posts above, LZ are the kings of the “unofficial” cover. 😉😂

4 hours ago, Japhet said:

Will probably get pelters for saying it, but just about any cover of any Bob Dylan song.

I must admit I don't listen to Hendrix at all these days, but this is the exception, he pulled everything out of the bag on this recording 

• Like 1

It appears from this thread that most of the time when a cover is "better" than the original is when the original is not nearly as well known.

Also it's very easy to consider a cover "better" when it has been done in a style that you are more receptive to than the original version. There's plenty of covers that I like a lot that have been done in very different styles to the original songs, but I can't in all honesty say that any of them are truly superior to the original.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

....being covers of an original recording 'reclaimed' by the original songwriter.

Any other examples?

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

"Under pressure" by Queen and Mr Bowie?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Great song, but a straightforward collaboration rather than a re-cover of an original?

I'd say that Queen have reclaimed "Under pressure"....though I accept your point about it being a collaboration.

12 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Most cover versions beat the Bob Dylan original

hhhhhmmmm not sure about this.

There have been a lot of great versions of Dylan songs, but the originals are great too. I think It's just that he's a great songwriter and leaves a lot of room for re-interpretations.

• Like 3

For me, Rufus Wainwright has done some excellent covers (e.g., Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell; Who Knows Where The Time Goes - Fairport Convention; yes and Hallelujah!).
Better than the originals? Guess it depends on how much you're into RW. Definitely on a par, at least (imho). Also including this:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

hhhhhmmmm not sure about this.

There have been a lot of great versions of Dylan songs, but the originals are great too. I think It's just that he's a great songwriter and leaves a lot of room for re-interpretations.

I’m happy to concede that, and I’d have loved to have seen the man play live in his heyday (very nearly did.....).  

As I said in my post; the original of “Knocking on heavens door” (one of his most covered songs) firmly remains my favourite version.   I think the combination of his very individual vocal style (which can grate), sparse instrumental arrangements on the originals, and -as you say- very strong songwriting, lends BD’s songs perfectly for covering.   Hendrix has been mentioned; I’d add Manfred Mann (Just like a woman), Byrds (Mr Tambourine man), and, Siouxsie (This wheels on fire)