Why become a member? ×

Cover version beats the original!

Al Krow

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What tracks do you reckon the cover beats the original? (I think there was a short thread on this a few years back pre "change over" - but I'd be up for hearing from the current BC crew on what their views are!).

By 'a few years' I assume you mean June?

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

How to ruin a good song, take the soul out of it and add fake emotion. Spawned a lifetime of bank adverts :/

Woody, you've quite correctly now picked me up twice on my research skills or lack thereof! I clearly didn't join the dots with Theodore's very clever title wording when starting this thread at 1AM last night - lol! Next time I need a PA, of the typing rather than 1000W variety, I'll know who to contact 😁

Mods - please feel free to bookend this thread onto the back of Theodore's if that would make better sense.

Edited by Al Krow

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

How to ruin a good song, take the soul out of it and add fake emotion. Spawned a lifetime of bank adverts :/

If you're talking about the whispered, breathy sheeeite so in vogue these days, you're pointing the finger at the wrong doggie.

6 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

If you're talking about the whispered, breathy sheeeite so in vogue these days, you're pointing the finger at the wrong doggie.

I am. OK, not quite like his but he did massacre that song and worse, led to it being a standard staple of song massacrerers!

The Ska & Mod revival period brought with it some great covers of original scene. The Specials and The Jam are right up there but The Beat, and later Fine Young Cannibals, did some fantastic covers of pop songs. This is a favourite. 

I prefer The Slits version of 'Heard It Through The Grapevine' to Marvin Gaye's. 

The little known UK Renegades did a little known version of the little known Bill Haley track '13 Women' which one of my favourites songs ever. 

If The Beatles had tried harder they could've been this good 😉

This is where I first the The Slits' Grapevine, loved this album when I was younger but lent it to a mate and never saw it again. I used to love that an unknown local band (Golant Pistons) were on there. 

I think the whole album of covers will play on that link, apart from Devo's Satisfaction, which is missing, copyright I presume. 

• Like 2

Will probably get pelters for saying it, but just about any cover of any Bob Dylan song.

Edit; I'm obviously not including the appalling version of Knocking on Heaven's Door by that kilt wearing pillock.

Edited by Japhet
incomplete
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@TheGreek Mick, noooo!!!

I mean the rap version is an interesting take on it, but those covers particularly that Goldbug version is not in the same league, let alone the same division, as Led Zep!

That's the thing - Opinions are like belly buttons - everybody's got one...😘

I've had LZ played at me for so long I can't listen to them anymore.

Edited by TheGreek

16 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

That's the thing - Opinions are like belly buttons - everybody's got one...😘

I've had LZ played at me for so long I can't listen to them anymore.

I listened to them a lot, went off them, but with a group of people who weren't even alive when they were going, I now enjoy gigging Whole Lot Of Love with the group.

Mind you, I tried suggesting this version and the guitarist really seemed offended (singer and drummer though it was a good idea)

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

Will probably get pelters for saying it, but just about any cover of any Bob Dylan song.

Dylan over the years has certainly come in for some stick, some deserved and some not IMO. I must admit though, when I first heard this it stopped me dead in my tracks. 

No cover-that-beats-the-original off the top of my head right now, but just want to relay that Rod Argent, when performing with Colin Blunstone in the early noughties often was asked:
- "Why in the world did you play a Santana song?"
Liked that, and so did our Rod. 

Edited by BassTractor

@TheGreek 

Have to 'fess I do like a bit of PMJ - great fun and a BIG following. We've kinda nicked that swing / vibe for our cover of that one in our 50s/60s band.

Our guitarist has a sweet spot for Heart and that one is definitely an improvement on Spirit's original, although I do prefer the Led Zep cover better - hehe.

Oh, and I still like DG amps...

😁