Why become a member? ×

NBD would you return this?

shoulderpet

Hi

Have today received a Squier classic vibe Jaguar bass from Gear4music, the bass sounds good, feels good and I have been able to drop the action low on it without issue (1.7ish mm on the E string 17th fret, 1.5ish mm on the G) however whilst the neck is in good shape in terms of the frets not buzzing with the low action there are some flaws on the finish on the neck, wanted to know what other thought , would you return it or live with the flaws in the finish as the neck is good? Some pics below (sorry for the poor quality phone camera pics) the are some imperfections on the finish along the side of the fretboard.  Some small white indentations in the finish and also with the finish it looks like someone has gone a little overboard with the tinting and the fret markers are a kind of off orange colour rather than white, let me know what you think

finish blemishes1.jpg

finish blemishes2.jpg

orange fret markers1-.jpg

Edited by shoulderpet

9 minutes ago, Romeo2 said:

if you can't feel it under your hands when playing then I would say live with it but email pics with concerns of QA to the shop, you may get a discount/store credit in the process

but we also want pics of the whole bass! ;)

Of course, sorry for the poor quality, a decent phone is next on my list of things to get

thumbnail_IMG_2020-11-14-18-17-15-908.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies

12 minutes ago, prowla said:

Even though it's only a Squier, I would say those faults are unacceptable for a new instrument.

Thanks, makes me feel better about returning this bass, is a shame about the faults because it practically plays itself and it sounds great , the funny thing is this bass has Squiers quality control tag attached, makes you wonder what the ones that failed were like

Edited by shoulderpet

The hue of the side dots is due to the colour of the tinted finish and surely supposed to be like that? Both those necks have wood of the same colour, just one is sprayed with an orange tinted gloss to give it the... well... classic vibe you paid for. There's nothing there which would bother me but if you feel you must return it, go for it.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Surely the hue of the side dots is due to the colour of the tinted finish? Both those necks have wood of the same colour, just one is sprayed with an orange tinted gloss to give it the... well... classic vibe you paid for.

To some extent yes I would expect the side dots to have a tint to them, unfortunately due to the camera on my phone (I will try and get a better pciture tomorrow when there is natural light) the pictures dont show just how orange the sid dots are, they start slightly orange  which would be expected and then around the 12th fret where there is the 2 tone neck issue they literally look like someone has smeared them with red shoe polish.  

Edited by shoulderpet

I think you've done the right thing by returning it. At the end of the day there's no point you keeping an instrument where you'll be worrying/stressing about the finish every time you play it. The whole point of the bass is to enjoy it, so if anything will impact on that, definitely return it and get something that you're 100% happy with.

• Like 1

There've been a few threads on here recently relating to what people believe justifies returning a bass. All I can say given the pics here and elsewhere is that the buyers in question should see what we had to put up with in the 70's and 80's, and at far higher price points relatively speaking. Try and return a bass back then - and boy by today's standards there was serious cause - and the shop would likely say "We don't know when we'll see another bass guitar, and when we do, there's a good chance it'll be worse than this one" :)

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Beedster said:

There've been a few threads on here recently relating to what people believe justifies returning a bass. All I can say given the pics here and elsewhere is that the buyers in question should see what we had to put up with in the 70's and 80's, and at far higher price points relatively speaking. Try and return a bass back then - and boy by today's standards there was serious cause - and the shop would likely say "We don't know when we'll see another bass guitar, and when we do, there's a good chance it'll be worse than this one" :)

Yeah, some of the 70s basses were real turds and would be firewood today, it always make me laugh the price that vintage Fenders go for when a lot of those 70s Fenders were absolutely terrible basses , then you have the stuff that was considered low end back then like Teisco and Kay that usually weighed a tonne, had pickups you could sing into and hear yourself through your amp, those terrible bridges the sliding bar that many of them had and the tuners that were like bronco tuners but worse.

Chances are high that you won't get one with as perfect fretwork if you return it, especially considering that it's a budget instrument to begin with (1.7mm action on low E string 12th fret without any fret buzz would be good even for a higher end large factory production instrument from stock).

Frankly I'd much much rather have that on a bass than it being perfect cosmetically.

I wouldn't return it if I was you.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1