Why become a member? ×

Bass for a child. 🎅🏻

bassfan

Hi All,

My nephew likes to have a play on my basses when he visits, so I thought I’d annoy my brother by getting him a small bass for Xmas. I know, good of me right ?! 😂😂(Better than a drum kit).
I have a very small combo. Cables etc. I’m just looking for something he could make noise on. I must say he’s only 5, he’ll make a horrendous racket so I’m not looking for any fancy basses. 
Im sure many of you have kids that have learnt on something cheap, so I’m looking for your recommendations, short scale I’m guessing ... I’ve got a wanted add up to. 

Your thoughts.... 

• Thanks 1

Can’t go wrong with a Tanglewood EB -18 Elfin bass. Around 20 inch scale IIRC, looks like a shrunk Precision! They play and sound really well, and can be picked up for around £80 or less if you’re lucky. Ideal for small hands, but I’ve used mine on a gig and it coped brilliantly. 

Think Harley Benton do a decent short scale, the PB shorty, currently £79 at Thomann. More of a ‘normal’ short scale at 30 inches so may be a bit big for your nephew just yet. Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

Hi All,

My nephew likes to have a play on my basses when he visits, so I thought I’d annoy my brother by getting him a small bass for Xmas. I know, good of me right ?! 😂😂(Better than a drum kit).
I have a very small combo. Cables etc. I’m just looking for something he could make noise on. I must say he’s only 5, he’ll make a horrendous racket so I’m not looking for any fancy basses. 
Im sure many of you have kids that have learnt on something cheap, so I’m looking for your recommendations, short scale I’m guessing ... I’ve got a wanted add up to. 

Your thoughts.... 

Done this a lot of time. The violin I bought to my niece was the best one. Remember that it takes months if not years to play in tune. But I failed as she started to play the violin the next year when she was 6 and after 2 years started the guitar and played quite well.

Guess what, at 22 years old, she is a master chef now, and, damn, she can cook. Ironic, no ? 🤣

• Haha 2

Does it have to look like a bass?
If yes, how about a Daisy Rock? Not all of them look like flowers or butterflies. In fact most look like basses. Good quality as well.

If no, I see some bass ukes come well-regarded.

I had an Ashbory myself, and whilst it sounded fantastic, I'd wager a guess that its fretlessness is a huge drawback.

7 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Does it have to look like a bass?
If yes, how about a Daisy Rock? Not all of them look like flowers or butterflies. In fact most look like basses. Good quality as well.

If no, I see some bass ukes come well-regarded.

I had an Ashbory myself, and whilst it sounded fantastic, I'd wager a guess that its fretlessness is a huge drawback.

I’d prefer it to look like a bass if I’m honest. He likes my status but he’s a lonnnnnnnnnnng way of thumping the strings on that 😂 

• Like 1

Can vouch for the little Tanglewood Elf. I got mine from a charity shop, and for a couple of years it was the only bass I owned. I still play it now, it's a fun little thing. 25.5" scale so perfect size for a 5 year old, and not always expensive on ebay, Gumtree etc.

33630426_1732500653463579_3116409367826530304_n.thumb.jpg.218e752c25ade078cad334534eb9d5f5.jpg

Edited by meterman