Why become a member? ×

Bass designs

Si600

Some questions/thoughts on bass design.

Singlecut: why do they all look like sperm whales? A singlecut guitar like a Les Paul or a Tele doesn't join the neck up by 5th fret* so why do basses?

Offset: What is an offset body? A jazz bass is technically offset, but the term is usually applied to something like a Jaguar body.

*Exaggerated for comic effect.

Take a look at the Alembic Stanley Clarke signature model. If your hands are on a length-challenged side and you are shorter than 6 foot 10, the lowest notes are slightly hard to reach. I think that that "strap button @ 12th fret" is pretty common for a reason.

I do agree that there is no singlecut that I like. It seems to be possible to make a singlecut, but I would love to see one that will stand time. Someone could do a serious project and refine the shape to something similar like how double bass looks like today.

On 14/11/2020 at 13:02, Si600 said:

Some questions/thoughts on bass design.

Singlecut: why do they all look like sperm whales? A singlecut guitar like a Les Paul or a Tele doesn't join the neck up by 5th fret* so why do basses?

Offset: What is an offset body? A jazz bass is technically offset, but the term is usually applied to something like a Jaguar body.

*Exaggerated for comic effect.

Singlecut basses need an extended upper bout because the proportions of a guitar body like an LP are horribly unbalanced with a bass scale neck. The further you move the strap attachment point behind the 12th fret the more the neck will tend to dive.

Offset really just means the upper contours are shifted forward relative to the lower contour so it's more ergonomic in the seated position. It's largely just marketing though as, like you say, the Fender Jazz was always offset.

• Like 2

On 14/11/2020 at 17:19, itu said:

Take a look at the Alembic Stanley Clarke signature model. If your hands are on a length-challenged side and you are shorter than 6 foot 10, the lowest notes are slightly hard to reach.

You are aware that that's a short scale bass, right?

Cause even though Mister Stanley indeed is a tall fellow with quite large hands, and that he is a skilled double bass player as well, he actually prefers playing short scale electric basses, which his main signature Alembic indeed is too. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Personally, I love single cut designs, so much so now that I actually find non single cuts a little funny looking ;) 
As mentioned above by a few folks, the extended shape comes from accommodating the additional scale length you get with a bass, when compared to a Les Paul or a Tele.
All of that is moot is you play seated of course, but on a strap it REALLY matters, especially for us shorter bassists.

You can get single cut basses, with more guitar proportioned bodies, Gibson make, or made a Les Paul bass for a while, with a marginally oversized Les Paull guitar shape, but it didn't sell well at all, like most Gibson basses sadly. I think in part that flopped due to the neck dive and extended reach for first position.

Ultimately, I think single cut basses, esepcially modern style ones will forever be THE martime of the bass world.
I love them, but oddly I hate martmite...

The offset thing, the original marketing for the Jazz Bass noted that it was "offset" as one of the main USPs, so I have no idea why Fender seem to omit it from their more recent offset marketing strategy...

Eude

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You are aware that that's a short scale bass, right?

Yes, I do, his Brown Bass is 30.75". But have you ever tried similar? It feels surprisingly long, as the strap is attached to the end of the fretboard (to the other side, though). If that had a 35" scale, even Stan the Man might have problems reaching the half position.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bit of pragmatism, a bit of conservatism and a bit of personal taste and a bit of an opportunity all mixed together, @Si600.

The pragmatism and conservatism is that "I want everything the same as a double cut but  I want it to be single cut.  So Kert's Camphor:

zWGszl1l.jpg

Becomes this as a single cut with a 3 minute session on the bandsaw:

snWFqY1l.jpg

(Hmmm....there's a build for the future.....)

While @Len_derby 's Swift Lite:

AtS3mqql.jpg

...could easily become a beluga with the saving of 3 minutes on the band saw:

BymMCNEl.jpg

(Hmmm...to my eye, that don't look too bad...one to keep in the back pocket?)

Functionally they are identical.

But you then have to ask, why is the top horn...hang on...why are either of the horns there in the first place?  Well - the bottom one has no purpose (edit: Big purpose if you try to play it without a strap!).  The top one is somewhere to put the strap button.  Functionally, that is their only purpose.  So in Banjoland, folks would look at a 'traditional' bass and say "What was Leo F thinking?????"  Because their Swift Lite's would look like this:

rdOpeKxl.jpg

(Hmmm........................................Nahhhhhh!!!)

You can tell I'm still waiting for timber to arrive.... xD

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Carrying on with the theme - someone mentioned AGC's.  They are a particular favourite of mine because they retain the functionality with a passing nod to conventionality, but not overly bound to that.  For a 'traditional' single cut, this is pretty d**n fine:

lBcz14ml.jpg

So what they have done is lowered the lump of the top horn.

But of course, that doesn't actually need to be there at all, really.  Functionally, this would work just as well:

oGetgiGl.jpg

Great topic @Si600 - we don't really challenge bass design nearly enough  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the singlecut loving camp, my letts is a singlecut and i think when i have the money my next custom will also be a singlecut, in fact a bass in one of the above posts is incredibly close to what i was considering (except i was thinking shortscale 5 string with a single pickup.

On 30/11/2020 at 10:15, Andyjr1515 said:

BymMCNEl.jpg

@MoonBassAlpha posted a link to the ACG recurve classic, i think this is a fantastic shape, i seem to gravitate to upper horns (is that the right word?) that have this shape where they curve back rather than the ones that taper into the neck.

this is my Letts.

FB_IMG_1442437736480.thumb.jpg.6d52c0125580b70c8580a52a46f95a63.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

To me, single cut bass just look better! To me there's nothing worse than the same old bass shape time and time again! Its the whole Chocolate/Vanilla thing, 90% of bassist out there use Fender P or J basses, or at least P or J shaped basses. There is a whole wide and vibrant world of flavours out there, why only have Chocolate and Vanilla?

P and J basses are more like a workman's tool I suppose, a Ronseal bass, it does what it says on the tin, no frills, no surprises, bang average! 

Single cuts have so much more flavour, granted you might not like the flavour, but at least its different! 

I can look at my ACGs or my Conklin, Bee Bass or De Giers as works of art as well as being unspeakably good basses. I just can't do that with a P or a J. 

Nowt wrong with either choice, it's all opinion, but I like a different flavour and my basses have exactly the taste I like! :)

• Like 3

I dont like most singlecut designs but the Recurve S that Andy posted is in my top 3 all time favourite bass shapes (hence my neck thru build!) 

I completely agree with binky P and J basses are just a bit stale now, dont get me wrong I have 2 P's and wouldn't probably part with them but also I haven't ever seen a Ritter or a Fodera that I think WOW I've got to make one of those I especially find Ritters too fancy looking but they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder...... 👍🏻 

• Like 2