Why become a member? ×

Preamp question.?

bubinga5

You can plug into whatever you like. The preamp pedal won’t care whether you’re plugging an active bass or a passive bass into it.

I guess if you don’t have a passive switch on your jazz, just set the onboard knobs to flat so you’re only getting tonal colour from the outboard pre.

• Like 1

You should be able to use an outboard preamp without any problem. 

One of my favourite basses is active only. It sounds great when played fingerstyle but I'm not a fan of it's slap sound, so I run it through a Sadowsky preamp whenever I do any thumb stuff. 

• Thanks 1

On your amp, you also gave a built-in preamp...

The only issues you could (yes a conditional) have are ground loop noise, mismatched impedances and gain saturation. But those are becoming quite rare nowadays, especially if you set everything the right way.

It's sure that cascading preamps is a tone killer, but so many people are doing it...

The outboard preamp won't bypass the onboard one, but add it in series to its own one.

Putting everything flat on the onboard preamp is the best solution to have the outboard one colouring the sound, or the opposite if you want so.

Just take extra care of the input signal and have the gain set so it won't be distorted (gain button set to match the output of the onboard preamp on the input of the outboard one nor active input used if there are those) and it will be fine.

And have fun !

• Like 1

I've never noticed any problems with my tone being killed or anything.  I don't like fiddling with my onboard preamp to change sound mid gig, so I set my bass to where I want it (which is usually pretty flat) and then any tonal changes generally come from an outboard preamp.

• Like 1

Bubinga5 is it something about the already active pre you have that is bothering you? Not sure of your answer is but I would change out the pre and get something else. In fact you mentioned Sadowsky. You can get a pre for that beautiful Jazz o yours and it will have a passive active possibilities. This was on their site"Our drop in preamp is perfect for adding the Sadowsky sound to J-style basses with a plate. They can also be removed from the plate for rear installation for basses with a control cavity.

Edited by 4&5 String