Why become a member? ×

Extreme power supply noise!?

ReeV0

sounds like you're drawing too much current from your power supply. Digital effects are notoriously Amp-hungry. 

Check that your supply can deliver the required amount of current through each of the outputs.

Also some supplies don't like reliving current to a mix of analogue and digital devices at the same time.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

sounds like you're drawing too much current from your power supply. Digital effects are notoriously Amp-hungry. 

Check that your supply can deliver the required amount of current through each of the outputs.

Also some supplies don't like reliving current to a mix of analogue and digital devices at the same time.

The power supply should be more than capable of supplying all the power the pedals need, it's a Mosky ISO 10. I also tried plugging the SDRUM into a separate 9v adapter. I think all my pedals are digital? 

25 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Do you have a spare 9v output on your 'isolated' supply? you could buy a 'current doubler' which effectively runs 2 9v outputs in parallel (still 9v, but twice the current, so effectively a whole amp). 

There are lots of spare outlets, I'm running a current doubler for the Stomp (500mah x2) 

Do you have a modem, a WiFi device or a PLC nearby or plugged to the same socket ?

This sounds like this plus a ground loop.

Did you notice that the noise gets stronger when you came closer with your smartphone (it's in your video) ? You have the starting point of your answer here.

• Like 1

Sorry Hz, was distracted! :) 

Regarding the problem, I agree with the right-honerable Hellzero - I had a problem similar, so after some research, I bought this:

_20201114_103853.JPG

Mains conditioner - solved my problem. About £50, although you can spend loads on fancier gear if you are so inclined.

_20201114_105137_1605351111744.jpg

:)

Edited by Teebs

I think it's an issue with the Mosky power supply...

I just tried using my Diago daisy-chain power supply and it was still noisy but not as bad, then I plugged the Stomp (most power-hungry device) into it's own power adaptor and voila! No noise at all!

So... because I'm OCD and I only want to have one plug to power my whole board, I've just dropped a bomb on the CIOKS DC-7 power supply in the hopes it will put this issue to rest once and for all...

• Like 1