Why become a member? ×

How good was Prince on the bass?

Barking Spiders

On 13/11/2020 at 18:04, Drax said:

Funnily enough was sent this yesterday 

Generally think of Prince as someone who would be regarded in the top ranks on thier instrument, if they didn't play so many instruments. 

Love the clip, and agree re his musicianship, there's much snobbery around this "He's not one of the great bass players because he's not a bassist". I rank Keith Richards as one of the great bass players, most would disagree :)

On 22/11/2020 at 01:06, tauzero said:

Dunno, he produced a fair amount of musical wallpaper. We do do one of his songs but as it's "Purple Rain", it's not something that really highlights his bass playing ability.

The track Purple Rain was recorded live by Prince & the Revolution with Brownmark on bass.  Fender Jazz bass through an SVT. Check out more of Brownmark's playing on 17 Days or on America on the Around the World in a Day album.

The track often referenced as a good example of Prince's bass playing is Let's Work off the Controversy album.

Here's a few more of my favourites -

Partyup - Dirty Mind

She's Always in My Hair - The Hits/The B-Sides

The Ballad of Dorothy Parker  - Sign O' The Times

The Sensual Everafter - The Rainbow Children

777-9311 - What Time Is It? 

Finally, because I've just been listening to it (!), check out what he's playing on on Alphabet St.

On 22/11/2020 at 01:06, tauzero said:

Dunno, he produced a fair amount of musical wallpaper. We do do one of his songs but as it's "Purple Rain", it's not something that really highlights his bass playing ability.

A lot of diehard Prince fans seem to think everything he did was gold. IMO he peaked with Sign of the Times and thereafter his albums were pretty patchy. Even the earlier ones have their duff tracks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

A lot of diehard Prince fans seem to think everything he did was gold. IMO he peaked with Sign of the Times and thereafter his albums were pretty patchy. Even the earlier ones have their duff tracks.

Diehard Prince fan here. I agree. The run from 1980, the album “Prince” to 1988 with “Lovesexy” is golden to me however I clearly recall my disappointment with the 1989 Batman soundtrack and the start of said patchiness. 

Thereafter only “Come” from 1994 and “The Rainbow Children” from 2002 did it for me, with maybe “Exodus” from 1995 at a push. Lots of stuff from the 90s by Prince which I find unlistenable.

That said, Prince & the Revolution era, mid 80s, to my ears anyway, were just the best.

• Like 1

Listen to the triple USA edition CD of the very funky LOtUSfLOW3R including the Hendrix influenced and homage MPLSºUND and the superbly arranged (if you like this musical genre) Elixir.  LOtUSfLOW3R and MPLSºUND are certainly amongst his best albums.

13 hours ago, mike f said:

Diehard Prince fan here. I agree. The run from 1980, the album “Prince” to 1988 with “Lovesexy” is golden to me however I clearly recall my disappointment with the 1989 Batman soundtrack and the start of said patchiness. 

Thereafter only “Come” from 1994 and “The Rainbow Children” from 2002 did it for me, with maybe “Exodus” from 1995 at a push. Lots of stuff from the 90s by Prince which I find unlistenable.

That said, Prince & the Revolution era, mid 80s, to my ears anyway, were just the best.

Yup - seconded. I was a huge fan from about 82 until Lovesexy. Had a ticket to SoTT at Wembley and was gutted when he pulled out. Saw Lovesexy, was blown away. Saw him again on the Batman tour and fell asleep. After that I dipped in every few years but the music never connected with me in the same way. The Revolution were amazing too. Just a perfect band. 

But that run of albums up to LS...what a run. Shockingly good!

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 1

Prince was so talented that no matter what instrument he picked up there was a style and groove to it. Many of his studio recordings was him playing all the instruments. I didnt say all. But you can tell he had some really good bassist in his band, including Larry Graham that he learned from.

• 4 months later...

On this tip, the legendary Brown Mark (of the Revolution...one of my favourite bassists) is now doing YouTube tutorials on the 'Prince Style'. Being a lot younger than Prince, he was very much a protege and Prince used to teach him the lines to the songs. So these YouTube lessons are a bit like having a bass lesson with Prince. Gold Dust for those of us who loved the sound of the Revolution :)

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2