Why become a member? ×

Real or Fake Fender Precision

samlowend

I am no expert by a long shot, but I do not think that's a real fender Precision. If I remember correctly, the P-bass was never made with a 3 bolt neck plate (it could be the other way around...). the headstock decal looks strange to me, but I'm not sure about this. The ashtray bridge cover looks like it was made for a jazz...

I might be very wrong about this, but choose to stick my head out anyway.

Yes, it's a genuine Fender 3 hole neck plate, if you look closely there's a small hole below the single neck screw where an allen key goes in for the micro-tilt mechanism. And as others have said, never used on a Precision but I guess at £155 it's not puporting to be a 72 P Bass anyway, although the wording may have you believe otherwise....?

Not a Fender, not vintage. Looks like a bitsa to me, no idea what's under the covers (could be a P/J with that big Jazz ashtray), depending what the parts are it might be a decent deal for £155, especially if you could haggle down a bit.

On the other hand if it's built from cheap tat bits (which the tuners suggest it might be), you'd be better off with something like a Harley Benton for the same sort of money.

Also: "I just started playing and I was given this" says the seller, snapping pics of the bass in his room containing rackmounted mixers, flightcases, a Peavey 4x10 cab and another bass...

Hmm.

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 13/11/2020 at 15:28, Doctor J said:

The ad title is

Nowhere is it claimed the bass is a Fender, or even the bass is a Precision for that matter, and rightly so.

It's a Fender 3 hole neck plate. The rest? Well, I can tell you what it isn't 😉

It has a Fender trademarked logo on the headstock; the photos form part of the description.

On 13/11/2020 at 17:40, Reggaebass said:

Headstock logo doesn’t look right, and it might be the picture but it looks like a split in the body near the neck pocket 

E4E2FA68-7A76-46E9-9FD5-61FE80D7C5EC.png

Weirdly, if it was a genuine Fender it would have had a 4 bolt neck and you would see the 2 lower bolt holes exposed. So it must be a genuine 3 bolt neck which again disqualifies it being a Fender

• Like 1