Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2020?

Al Krow

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

See the source image

This one for sure and just about any fretless, surely?

That is the prevailing logic yes, but when I had mine I flipped between flats and rounds. Probably was better with flats but I have never really been a fan.

I guess probably old short scales like Hofners suit flats as they are fairly dead anyway. 

Best: my two Serek short-scales, Alembic Spoiler and Handbox 400 amp.

20201223_115242.thumb.jpg.2f8b01b4ced1d6d655734de5018e39d7.jpg

20201010_161211.thumb.jpg.9cbc0cca4ad7e88b9d0fd31ba75b63db.jpg

Worst: continually thinking I can comfortably play long-scale basses and buying a Jazz, a Precision and a Shergold - all beautiful basses in their own right but unsuited to me and hence sold on (to happy buyers), each time at a loss!

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2

Best: without doubt my Masterbuilt Warwick Thumb NT.  Most expensive bass I’ve  bought in years but it’s a masterpiece of an instrument and worth every penny.

Worst? Well it was a very quiet year for new purchases really, so wouldn’t really be fair to give the worst title to anything.

43414B13-4ADA-4E1A-8776-2493CF1AA4E7.thumb.JPG.018f7b061224e1fec823fc240038cdf8.JPG

Edited by Kev
  • Like 7

E55FEC6E-BF45-4747-A6D8-60046E2AA423.thumb.jpeg.1f935da1dc9656dc3678cef5078de563.jpeg

Most fulfilling is this one...been a really long journey. Hope it lives up to a 20 year wait.

Best has been the Sadowsky HPJ. Just feels better than any other bass I’ve owned - and can cover everything.

Worst...gawd, erm. I’ve wasted swathes of money this year on gear - boredom has had a huge part to play in it.

64D46ADB-24FC-4F0D-9D4F-840B5D97416C.jpeg

• Like 4

If the definition of ‘worst’ includes ‘unwise’ then best and worst, respectively are:-

F4747CDE-9CCC-47F9-AE3B-E4933D993EAF.thumb.jpeg.f0a618ee5decfa22d95ac6b4fadd1f90.jpeg

Stingray Special - lighter, more headroom and, to my neophyte ears, having only owned a couple of Stingrays prior to this one, more than capable of that ‘tone’.

On to the ‘unwise’; Roscoe Century Standard Fretless; beautiful instrument, lovely fretless sound but an impulse purchase that I know is not getting or going to get the use it deserves. 

FD2E9C02-951D-4B1A-A051-A612C4178BAA.thumb.jpeg.80c90473af13b0d2f1628670cd4352db.jpeg

‘A fool and his money...’ 🙄

Edited by skb558
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So in keeping with the spirit of the  thread, do have a favorite of the three 😊

Currently it’s the Streamer $$ because it’s the newest acquisition, but previously it was the Bubinga Streamer LX, which was the prior favorite of the three LOL. To be honest, I am really happy with all three and it’s difficult to choose a favorite. 😊

I couldn't resist the lure of a Markbass CMD 121P combo for £400. It's the brand new  version, with the leather handle.

I've been wanting one for a while but couldn't justify buying one (as I have plenty of amps and cabs).

But at £400 I couldn't resist. I just need gigs to start, so I can hear what it sounds like at a decent volume (sounds good in my living room but that's not why I bought it).

• Like 1

@bassbooty So you're basically fickle, right? (And I hope you noticed my attempt to be US friendly by deliberately mis-spelling favourite?) 😁

I had a Corvette $$ 5'er - and loved the Warwick growl. I couldn't hack the neck dive though...but I think I'd probably take that in my stride now with a decent Minotaur strap, and am much more used to 5ers. Am mulling getting a Thumb NT5, but nothing as posh as @Kev's - which is seriously lush!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gjones said:

I couldn't resist the lure of a Markbass CMD 121P combo for £400. It's the brand new  version, with the leather handle.

I've been wanting one for a while but couldn't justify buying one (as I have plenty of amps and cabs).

But at £400 I couldn't resist. I just need gigs to start, so I can hear what it sounds like at a decent volume (sounds good in my living room but that's not why I bought it).

That's a great price for a CMD 121P, particularly if it was practically brand new!

• Like 1

Without doubt the best things I got this year was the upgrades to a cheepo LTD bass I use for a couple of songs. A set of Gezzer Butler EMGS which had to go in derrière about face coupled with a set of 50-115 Boomers. The down side was the action had to be raised slightly (it’s in Drop C) but it’s transformed a mushy, messy sounding bass into a really precise pleasure to play.

The worst is a pair of Darkglass 410’s which cost a feckin fortune, sound absolutely amazing but I’ve got to play with about four times all year due to you know what. 

Sometimes it’s the simpler things!

BB15A445-3BB1-412E-9449-4C47CADEC36F.jpeg

AFFF3521-87CD-4A2B-8062-4C02150B738C.jpeg

• Like 1

MM special 5, Shuker Singlecut 5 and Fender fretless 78 P, all bought here, they fit the “best buy”.

worst was a disappointment in form of a bass book that turned out to be not so full of valuable information. 15% original material and  85% transposed stuff and tablatures.