Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2020?

Al Krow

Best is my beautiful matt black Harley Pbass. Played sublimely straight out of the box, looks fantastic (to me), and at a mind bogglingly low price I can't believe how good it is. 

Honourable mentions to my new Ashdown rig RM500 112 and 112 extension cab. Bought to be sensible and downsize from my Ashdown and Trace big rigs. Punches so far above its weight I love it. 

Also, my Nux Bumblebee pedal board is a winner in the accessories category. 

Pedal winner is undoubtedly my Littlebox by Bad Penny FX. A monster. 

Haven't hated anything I've bought but the HB guitar multi effects was a mistaken impulse as I wanted it for a rig so complex and convoluted it was never going to happen. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

For £400, I reckon I'm going to struggle to find something that's better value in terms of quality / price.

Prolly a bit late now but EBS Session combos are outstanding value for money.  Stunning quality sound from such a portable package.

15 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Well you can’t not say who this builder is after that. Someone here might be about to pull the trigger....

It was a Chinese company, they used to ghost build valve amps for Peavey amongst others and are trying to move into instruments as well.  But the 'engineer' who worked on mine had absolutely no clue...luckily I didn't pay a lot for it but it's still money that could have better spent elsewhere.  The bass is with me so there would be shipping involved to the UK, I doubt it would be feasible to sell.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The ashdown looks pretty good, but having played round with it yesterday, it's not something that is that good to me at home, so I'm only going to known when I am gigging!

Pic of your new rig please! Remind me what it's going up against in the black Wood household - CTM 100 and TC RH 750?

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

Pic of your new rig pleaes! Remind me what it's going up against in the black Wood household - CTM 100 and TC RH 750?

At the moment all the cabs are stashed away. It's against the TC450 or the CTM100. But I don't use the CTM often. Cabs are 2 x tc rs112s or the BC cab, which obviously create a little issue. The BC cab is 300:watt, the 112s are 200, both a bit underpowered for the ABM. Currently thinking that maybe selling the CTM and getting a barefaced twin of some kind might be good, but selling isn't a good time!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

At the moment all the cabs are stashed away. It's against the TC450 or the CTM100. But I don't use the CTM often. Cabs are 2 x tc rs112s or the BC cab, which obviously create a little issue. The BC cab is 300:watt, the 112s are 200, both a bit underpowered for the ABM. Currently thinking that maybe selling the CTM and getting a barefaced twin of some kind might be good, but selling isn't a good time!

I would ask Stevie but I would imagine the BCcab would pretty much bang on good match for a ABM600 if that’s what you’ve bought ...

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Pic of your new rig please! Remind me what it's going up against in the black Wood household - CTM 100 and TC RH 750?

Well, until I get gigging, this is what it looks like for testing (and until I get a cover for it). Apologies for the overhang for people who are triggered by that, but it actually fits better than the TC450, that doesn't clear the handle.

IMG_1363.thumb.jpeg.1eb7091464d8fa82708085e99d77e89d.jpeg

There is actually a little cut in the tolex on the side, but if that is the price for shaving over £300 off the list price then I am happy with that.

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I would ask Stevie but I would imagine the BCcab would pretty much bang on good match for a ABM600 if that’s what you’ve bought ...

I suppose, yes, it is an 8 ohm so it is going to be lower powered into that. And like all things, your ears are a better sign of overload than figures.

• Like 1

Having (eventually!) got round to cranking it up in my garage, the Carvin R600 + 4x10 cab I bought from Zummerbass is now #1 with a bullet in the Best Purchases list. Great sound and holy feck it's loud. Such a shame to hand it over to the mate who paid for it :( although he got it for his rehearsal space, so I'll still get to use it on band nights when they eventually start again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Wow - that's actually a really tastily configured cab and an attractive design to boot. I've clearly not been paying enough attention to the BC cab thread!

Is it a 12" + 6" + 1" speaker / tweeter set up?

12” and horn - sounds awesome D0EC12AD-B9FE-4CBD-9284-77263BAAE391.thumb.jpeg.8f3f4620c9848ce8780f4258ecf8176b.jpeg0CB98891-02A1-4681-8CED-B191FEBABB66.thumb.jpeg.41dd4b52dfa5ecaaf093bfd7b328169d.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Wow - that's actually a really tastily configured cab and an attractive design to boot. I've clearly not been paying enough attention to the BC cab thread!

Is it a 12" + 6" + 1" speaker / tweeter set up?

Its a 12" + 1" speaker. Mine has adjustable legs as I play loads of venues with uneven flagstone floors!

It sounds very clear.

But now I look at the ones above I realise I haven't put the badge on!

Edited by Woodinblack

My only bass related purchase this year an Alembic F-2B stereo/mono pre-amp that I got for a great discount price from their French distributor because it had been bought for stock years and years ago but not sold. 🙂 So all set for gigging in 2021 when that happens. 

Edited by jazzyvee

Best is definitely 1990 Manne Custom 6. Worst is some Elite Stadium strings - they were really tinny and bright sounding with no mids or bottom, and felt cheap! A shame as I had previously used them years ago and found them to be pretty good, but I won't bother with them again. 

Here is the Manne anyway, with my Pedulla Pentabuzz. I have really fallen in love with fretless again this year. I was nearly stupid enough to sell my Pedulla last Christmas, what was I thinking? 

XzZkwNH.jpg&key=c8ec1ad007b6b5b40cfa7580

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 16:31, Doctor J said:

No, Peavey know how to make an amp. They were sold to Gibson and that's when it started to go south (surprise surprise). Peavey only own distribution rights in Northern America.

Yes, when Gibson brought them back they re-released them with really cool looking green backlit LEDs. They looked really good but the quality issues quickly made themselves known and the whole thing was a flop. I used to have a Trace Elliot 4x10" with a GP7SM head. It had a great tone and was incredibly loud. It weighed an absolute tonne. However, I put tone before weight and I'm still sceptical of these mini amps. 

19 hours ago, Mikey D said:

Best: I thought it was my AG700 and 212, but as off this week the GWB1 that was advertised as a GWB35...

Congrats from a fellow Ibby fan! Just seen your pic on the Ibby thread with the deposed rig sitting mournfully alongside the new king on the block 😁

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats from a fellow Ibby fan! Just seen your pic on the Ibby thread with the deposed rig sitting mournfully alongside the new king on the block 😁

:) Heres the whole Ibanez family that's staying after recent purchases. 

PXL_20201203_182004080.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

What a cracking array of instruments. Something for every style.

Personally I'm trying to convince myself they aren't all covered and I need a super jazz like the ANB205 and hollowbody 6 like the TCB1006. :) I do also have my very first bass which covers P bass duties but that's an Encore so didn't make picture.

5 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

My only bass purchase this year was a Lightwave Saber (!) fretless bass in black... It's lovely!

26 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

A late contender for best purchase, a Harley Benton short-scale P bass. For £79 + postage it’s amazingly good.

Pics please gents!

A new bass to your door for under £100?! How on earth do they manage that?!