Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2020?

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's one of those great combinations isn't it? Much like Ken Smith basses and Eden WT amps. Made for each other.

Oh dear are you deliberately trying to induce a bad bout of Eden GAS in me? 😁

They seemed to be all the rage 6 years or so back when I first started being a bit more focussed on gear / spending time on BC (obviously mere coinicidence - haha). But have since pretty much disappeared from view on the amp front?

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh dear are you deliberately trying to induce a bad bout of Eden GAS in me? 😁

They seemed to be all the rage 6 years or so back when I first started being a bit more focussed on gear / spending time on BC (obviously mere coinicidence - haha). But have since pretty much disappeared from view on the amp front?

There was a huge push for lightweight cabs with the introduction of mark bass and bergantino and some brands such as EBS, Ashdown and Eden got left behind. Apparently Trace Elliot were hugely popular at a time but when I got serious about playing they were only known for reliability issues.

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

There was a huge push for lightweight cabs with the introduction of mark bass and bergantino and some brands such as EBS, Ashdown and Eden got left behind. Apparently Trace Elliot were hugely popular at a time but when I got serious about playing they were only known for reliability issues.

Trace elliot weren't being made by then - they stopped when ashdown started really, as they are the same guys before the sellout. 

Edited by Woodinblack

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Eden (not David Eden 🤨) were always a high end amp, but I don't think that Marshall really treated them as well as they should have after the buy out, and changed the line up. I still think that yhe World Tour series amps and David cabs are quality gear.

2 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Trace Elliot were super popular around the 80s and 90. The reliabilty issues only really came after they were bought by Peavey, who discontinued the classic amps and reissued them later on.  There are still a lot of old Trace amps being used regularly. They were great.

I don't think EBS and Ashdown have been left behind at all. You see a lot more of them out in the wild than you do Bergantino or Vanderkley (for example).

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Eden (not David Eden 🤨) were always a high end amp, but I don't think that Marshall really treated them as well as they should have after the buy out, and changed the line up. I still think that yhe World Tour series amps and David cabs are quality gear.

Trace Elliot were super popular around the 80s and 90. The reliabilty issues only really came after they were bought by Peavey, who discontinued the classic amps and reissued them later on.  There are still a lot of old Trace amps being used regularly. They were great.

I don't think EBS and Ashdown have been left behind at all. You see a lot more of them out in the wild than you do Bergantino or Vanderkley (for example).

Maybe in arenas or stadiums where the artists aren’t paying full whack for them, but the smaller gigs I’ve seen over the last 10 years or musicians I know doing the covers/ function stuff tend to use Markbass, Bergantino, Vanderklay, Barefaced, Aguilar ect. 
Aguilar is still my favourite amp manufacturer but can’t justify a DB751 or DB cabs. 

6 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Maybe in arenas or stadiums where the artists aren’t paying full whack for them, but the smaller gigs I’ve seen over the last 10 years or musicians I know doing the covers/ function stuff tend to use Markbass, Bergantino, Vanderklay, Barefaced, Aguilar ect. 
Aguilar is still my favourite amp manufacturer but can’t justify a DB751 or DB cabs. 

I know of a lot of guys who are using Mark Bass, but not half as many who are using the other makes.  Most players don't hang around forums and don't care about the boutique gear as much.  I've seen more old Trace and Peavey and Ashdown combos being used at small gigs than any of the boutique amps.

• Like 2

Have to agree, I’ve seen a lot of Markbass, Ashdown, Trace and a tiny bit of EBS/Aguilar. The odd l barefaced cab here and there. The only time I’ve seen Vanderkley or Bergantino has been in Scott Devine live seminars.

Must admit some of the nicest live bass sounds I’ve experienced as an audience member have been through older Trace  4x10 combos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

I know of a lot of guys who are using Mark Bass, but not half as many who are using the other makes.  Most players don't hang around forums and don't care about the boutique gear as much.  I've seen more old Trace and Peavey and Ashdown combos being used at small gigs than any of the boutique amps.

Yeah - it's kinda revealing that a lot of us on BC, including me, often regard MB gear as "MOR" rather than high-end!

I remember going into a PMT store and the sales guy saying that they didn't stock MB gear as it was regarded as being too boutique! Having said that, I recently treated myself to a MB combo (a replacement for the top of the range AC 121 Lite I had a few years back) to leave at my aged folk's place for when I'm regularly up there these days. For £400, I reckon I'm going to struggle to find something that's better value in terms of quality / price. Speaking of Ashdown, there's a pair of lovely Ashdown headphones in the pic - made available to me for a ridiculously good price by @dave_bass5 - cheers buddy.

My worst purchase this year (for the second year running!) was a Boss pedal! Last year's brown pedal prize went to the Boss OC-3, this year to the Boss SYB-5. Tbf it's relatively ancient tech - I just wanted to see how it stacked up against its new sibling the Boss SY-1. Well it's simply pants in comparison! 

But I suspect if I was going on value for money and most use my "best buy" trumping a very worthy Tech 21 VT Bass DI which is such a good pre-amp - it provides a clarity and articulation to my basses which I didn't realise I was missing before I had it (and would certainly have been a perfect partner for the AC 121 Lite I mentioned I sold a while back) - and also my recently reacquired Yammy BB735A, which I'm loving, and both of which in another year I'd have happily given top billing to, is the cheap as chips, versatile multifx, headphone amp, drum machine and tuner in the shape of the Zoom B1-4. In fact I liked it so much, I've got a second one to slip into my gig bag which allows me to lazily leave the first at the heart of my small pedal board and which just also sneaks into the pic below.

Rig - 2010 (spare).jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Doddy said:

The reliabilty issues only really came after they were bought by Peavey, who discontinued the classic amps and reissued them later on.  There are still a lot of old Trace amps being used regularly. They were great.

No, Peavey know how to make an amp. They were sold to Gibson and that's when it started to go south (surprise surprise). Peavey only own distribution rights in Northern America.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

No, Peavey know how to make an amp. They were sold to Gibson and that's when it started to go south (surprise surprise). Peavey only own distribution rights in Northern America.

I forgot that they went to Gibson first. 

I thought that Peavey owned Trace now? All the newer amps I saw (the ones from a few years ago like the 1215) mentioned Peavey on the back, and the Peavey website states that they are made in their factory. Even the contact address on the Trace website is Peavey.

Edited by Doddy

48 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Good to see the Yammy back in the herd @Al Krow!

The one in the pic is a BB1025, which you were present at the Yammy store when it got bought(!) and which has never left my herd and I suspect may never do so! 

The one that's now back in the herd is the black BB735A, which was one of your favourite models too once! It managed to sweep aside a rather lovely Sandberg Panther Special 5er, which was also on my shortlist. The fact that it was just 20% of the cost might have had some part to play - hehe -  but, straight up, it really did seem to go toe to toe with the Berg tonally!

But I see you've gone exotically posh since those former days 😁

Edited by Al Krow

Best. My Chapman bass. It’s just remarkable to play and quite the work of art. Sadly I’m not sure if its staying, I’m struggling more than I thought to recover from the virus and the mental strain of playing/learning is a bit much at the minute. I fear retirement beckons. 
 The worst was a cheapo graphic eq pedal from Amazon. Lasted about two weeks and never really sounded good to start with. Junk. 

CDADD662-67E4-4E02-9EE2-90E1766E80EA.jpeg

3A136F5B-A53E-411F-89F0-3F7D803CC92D.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 3

Another stunning bass @gafbass02! Really sorry to hear about the health issues - wishing you a full recovery, fingers crossed, mate.

I have to agree a cheap EQ pedal can be bit a like a cheap bottle of plonk - sometimes it's possible to pay too little for stuff and regret it after! It's a weird one though, some bits of kit can be amazing value e.g. HB basses (and that's just from the +ve comments I keep reading like the from Stew above and @TheLowDown below - not had one myself); and the Zoom B1-4 mulitfx, which has a very passable EQ ability. 

I guess the beauty of BC is getting tips on what is great value and what is just cheap - such a key difference! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1