Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2020?

Al Krow

Following on from the same topic we've successfully run for the last couple of years - a chance for some useful hints and tips with Black Friday and Xmas goodies still ahead, and, of course, nothing to stop us changing our minds between now and year end. And, yes please, pics of the offending items very welcome to add unhelpful GAS for the rest of us! 

As with the last two years, the only "house rules" are that it's bass gear and something you bought (or at least arrived) in 2020. 

We can all then sign up to @bassfan's / @Sibob's Gear Abstinence Thread for 2021 with good conscience and in the knowledge we don't have a cat in hell's chance of succeeding! 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

I am very fond of this Blade B4. I knew a guy in the early 90's who had one of their strats and it was a thing of beauty, always wanted to try one of the basses.

Worst? I bought a pedal case for a project and had moved on from needing it before it even arrived. Now it sits there, mocking me.

0F46FF69-5BE9-4E8B-A762-93214F123D6A.thumb.jpeg.8489dba8a6903885445c6977e8a76d2c.jpeg

• Like 2

My gear abstinence didn’t last long this year but I made 2 purchases that are equally as amazing as one another... 

My Sadowsky UV70 and my Bergantino BAmp.No bad purchases I’m pleased to say

13D4961E-B8BA-4A8D-9B61-9804BEEFD093.jpeg

C08002BA-33E7-415A-8846-924AF5B5EF31.jpeg

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 7

best - Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

No longer in production and are becoming quite collectable, with an increasing price to match. Very versatile pedal capable of far more than what most of the demos show.

worst - Future Impact

It's an amazing piece of kit and the sounds it's capable of are incredible. But to get the best out of it, you need to buy a cable which needs a computer programme, and ideally a midi pedal. All of which is far too complicated for me, being a bear of little brain.

• Like 1

The only bass-related things I've bought this year are parts for two builds -- my 2-tone J bass and Mammoth clone stomp.
And there's the Boss OC-2 that ended up costing me £3.

Oh, and my wonderful daughter gave me an Amazon voucher for my birthday, which I used to buy an excellent Hercules bass stand. That is by far my best bass purchase of 2020 for a number of reasons. :) 

Best definitely my warwick thumb nt5, paid a ridiculously low amount for it, absolutely love it. 

Worst, a body and neck bought for a project that just weren't up to scratch, however it's a bit harsh saying they were awful cos I kind of knew what they were when I bought them. 

20201019_141705.jpg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

All of which is far too complicated for me, being a bear of little brain.

Aha - another potential candidate for the neo-luddite BC club!

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

And there's the Boss OC-2 that ended up costing me £3.

How on earth did you wangle that?! 😁

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, GBH said:

Best definitely my warwick thumb nt5, paid a ridiculously low amount for it, absolutely love it. 

Worst, a body and neck bought for a project that just weren't up to scratch, however it's a bit harsh saying they were awful cos I kind of knew what they were when I bought them. 

20201019_141705.jpg

That is one lovely bass! Always been tempted by NT5 Warwick Thumbs and fantastic that you managed to get one for a great price and in such good condition! If I could find one which weighed in at around 10 lbs or less I'd be champing at the bit to join you. I totally love that Warwick MEC growl - it's what led me to seeking a lighter weight substitute which I've kinda managed to get with my Ibby SR Premium basses with their Nordstrand big singles.

30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I bought a BB2 last year, which was delivered in Feb, then bought the cover. Other than that, no bass purchases so far this year so far. No plans for anything, either.

I got mine, used, within 4 weeks of yours but complete with a cover! Frustratingly, and I suspect true for both of us, I've certainly had precious little opportunity to use it "in anger" outside of the house since then...

• Like 2

I bought yet another bass cab (I'm a drummer...), from this very Forum, a couple of weeks ago. Too massive for shipping, it's being held by the Seller until one of my brothers can pick it up (thanks again, Ben...); he'll hold on to it until I pop across to the UK (don't know when; probably next year, but...). An SWR 8 x 8 in flight case, here's one of the pics...

nouL20W.jpg

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I got mine, used, within 4 weeks of yours but complete with a cover! Frustratingly, and I suspect true for both of us, I've certainly had precious little opportunity to use it "in anger" outside of the house since then...

Yep. I managed 2 gigs with the BB2 and an SM, before first lockdown. What a great sound!

The second lockdown put paid to the only gig left in my diary, so who knows when #3 will come about!! At the moment I just have a pile of BF cabs sitting in the corner. . . .  waiting.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

How on earth did you wangle that?! 😁

I bought the OC-2 (an old MIJ, as it turns out) and a Behringer Blues O/D pedal together for £35 from a local farcebook marketplace page... sold the Behringer on fleabay for £32... :D  

• Like 2

The only thing I've bought this year has been a set of those new Markbass strings...whether they'll be the best or worst* remains to be seen, as my Elixirs on every bass aren't getting much wear; at this rate, it could be 2025 before I get to use them... 😕

* I know, I know; philosophically they'll be both...let's not split hairs...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I bought the OC-2 (an old MIJ, as it turns out) and a Behringer Blues O/D pedal together for £35 from a local farcebook marketplace page... sold the Behringer on fleabay for £32... :D  

And you’ve ended up with a MIJ OC2 pedal worth the best part of £100! That’s gotta be a “best buy” on a whole ‘nother level and a rate of return that would make a hedge fund manager blush 😁

• Like 1

The best?!?

These two beauties:

Mega-rare Hamer Impact (from 1991 and only 200 ever made), imported from the USA. So comfortable to play, killer looks and a gorgeous sound!

20201017_115839.jpg

Fender FSR 70's sunburst P bass with blocks from this very forum. Such classic looks and tone.

20200527_125906.jpg

S/H Fender Rumble 100 Bass Combo. Fantastic tones for home practice/small gigs! And I got it for the price of a Rumble 25 ;)

Also, the TC Electronic Spark Booster pedal - a lovely subtle booster that adds a perfect amount of grind/grit to your signal, with some tasty harmonic overtones.... and all for just £40!!

The worst?

Nothing really.... I'm very careful with my purchases and do my research/due diligence in advance...

Edited by cetera
  • Like 6

The best has to be the Helix LT that I picked up from this very emporium a couple of days before we were locked down for the first time, it made the months fly by.

The worst (or to be more accurate the most pointless) was the TC Sub'n'Up mini that I had delivered the weekend before spotting the Helix deal. It's fine, but the Helix does a very similar thing in a very similar way, so it's kinda redundant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

The only thing I've bought this year has been a set of those new Markbass strings...whether they'll be the best or worst* remains to be seen, as my Elixirs on every bass aren't getting much wear; at this rate, it could be 2025 before I get to use them... 😕

* I know, I know; philosophically they'll be both...let's not split hairs...

Schrodinger's strings!🤣

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Best, two US Fender Professional Jazz basses.

Worst, a US Fender Standard Jazz bass. Was a great sounding bass but I found the depth of the neck uncomfortable to play.

Now you know the rules Lozz, pics please or they didn't happen! (Ok I appreciate you'll likely have posted on a NBD thread already...😊)

Interesting on neck depth - given your love of P basses, was the depth too shallow for you on the Standard?

Got this bad boy incoming.

It will be my first ever Jazz bass, which is kind of weird when I think about it. NBD thread will follow shortly after its arrival no doubt, and I shall update here as to whether it falls into the best or worst bracket!

D5D7D8E9-BB57-42E2-857E-09E38E346448.thumb.jpeg.282358effd8110a22796d09e85ea6ba7.jpegE2FEA090-8ECB-4294-A25D-04ECAFD100C8.thumb.jpeg.f839195bc5aca8fd8c262b5e6e2bde13.jpeg

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 10

Best purchase a lovely Status S2 direct from the factory, my worst purchase a Spector Legend Custom, the standard EMG-HZ pickups  sounded really weak and the pre-amp has now packed up! Now awaiting fitting of a Glockenlang pre-amp and a pair of Nordstrand Big Blade pickups which will hopefully transform it into the bass it should be as it is lovely to play!

2505_3_1435.jpg

• Like 7

Best buy...A new iPad which meant i could use my old one for music/set lists/lyrics etc.

Worst waste of money... On two occasions cheap 5.8gz plug in transmitters from Lekato & Ammoon which both packed up within weeks of purchase, during first lock-down.
At least it made me update my Sennheiser system with a new aerial for the transmitter & a new anglejack lead from ‘Designacable’ (more decent purchases).