Why become a member? ×

sadowsky MV5.....string choice?

ebenezer

Well, i have just thrown caution to the wind and bought a new MV5....lovely bass, but i have to say, i,m not very happy with

the supplied strings...i think they are 45-130, very stiff feel to them, also the B string suffers from overtones which are annoying

to say the least..the B string is the type where the thinner core passes over the bridge saddle.

So with this in mind, what strings work well with said bass, also i tend to favour nickel.

Sadowsky blue labels are very stiff and I think that they still come as standard on the Metro basses. They lasted about a week on my MV4 when I bought it. Great sound but very stiff.

I really like D'addarios and Ernie Balls for nickle plated strings, but there are loads of options out there. I tend to use Elixir Nickles on my five string basses as I find that the B string is often the first to go 'dead' after a few rehearsals or gigs (not that I have done much of that this year!).

The Elixirs last for ages so save me money in the long run (I have had one set on a bass for over a year and they are still bright). I use an untapered 135 on my Sadowsky NYC which is great. Just my two cents, but with the way the Sadowsky bridge is designed, I find it is very difficult to fit an untapered B string larger than a 135, as even the 135 is a tight squeeze. So if you want something like a 140 or 145 B string it will need to be tapered. 

Until you find your favourite 'go to' string I would recommend just trying lots of different brands and gauges. If you want a more flexible set maybe try a set starting with a 40 gauge G string and 60 gauge D string.