Why become a member? ×

Ace Pro update...

OutToPlayJazz

Hey there,

More info & research on the "Ace Pro" bargain Korean/Chinese instruments...

I went down to the Music King to play some of the instruments yesterday & it was very enlightening. First off, if anyone's thinking of buying one (most at under £200), make sure you go and hand pick one you like for yourself. Some of the body finishes aren't finished at all, but some are very nice, so choosing one you like is vital. Obviously, patchy quality is going to be an issue in this price range.

I ended up playing the Ace Pro 8-stringer which was a very strange experience. Nicely made bass, great hardware, but a real special occasion instrument! Also played a 4-stringer which was equally well made, but the neck was rather thick, like a Warwick Streamer, or a Stingray.

The real surprise of the bunch was the six-stringer, which is lovely & wide/flat necked with a strong preamp & a great sound. Highly recommended! I'm going back to get one next week, I think :)

I ended up actually buying a couple of cheap starter packages to rent to pupils. Two Boston p-bass packages (including 15w amp, etc.) in a lovely sunburst.

Go try the Ace Pros - You may be pleasantly surprised!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

• 1 month later...