Why become a member? ×

Completing your lefty collection

uk_lefty

10 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Squier VM jazz.

Cort Action5 5str.

(Ugly unbelievably cheap but necks good really amazing for the money.)

Sire M2 5str 2nd Gen. 

Yamaha 4str Beater .

(downtuned with the Rotosound clothes line thickness strings)

Chowny Retrovibe.

(As close as I'll get to a Geddy Style Rickenbacker. Previous owner put Optima Gold strings on it. A really nice resonant light Bass. Think the pickups let it down a bit)

KSD Proto J 605

(Audere Pre d'addario black tapewounds. Love this Bass despite it being battered/gigged)

Yamaha trb1005j.

(A lovely looking well made Bass as good an instrument as I'll ever need. Maybe a little bland, certainly a bit bloody heavy. So I got the Chowny 😄

Some interesting basses there. I nearly bought a Retrovibe once. It was really nice and light, had a big fat tone and played great. I just didn't like the looks. I do regret not buying it though.

I had one of the first Sire V7 - great sound and easy to play but the tuners fell to bits (literally) and it wasn't reliable enough to gig so it had to go. Hopefully they've solved that problem by now so I might get one of the short scale Sire basses to try.

Edited by kevham
Typo

On 31/07/2021 at 09:30, kevham said:

Some interesting basses there. I nearly bought a Retrovibe once. It was really nice and light, had a big fat tone and played great. I just didn't like the looks. I do regret not buying it though.

I had one of the first Sire V7 - great sound and easy to play but the tuners fell to bits (literally) and it wasn't reliable enough to gig so it had to go. Hopefully they've solved that problem by now so I might get one of the short scale Sire basses to try.

Love the M2 - so light for a five string. I think 7 basses enough (pro-tem). Sires are great but KSD with Audere a good substitute, need to get pickups checked tho ??

On 29/07/2021 at 21:36, kevham said:

I've been off basschat for a while. Just catching up with all the lefty news!

My current wish list is:

1. Spector Bantam

2. Fender Aerodyne Jazz

3. Fender MIJ Precision

I've got a new bass being built for me at the moment which has dented my back account severely so I might have to sell something soon....

I got to try an Aerodyne in a Japanese music shop.  One of the best bass sounds I've heard for the "rock" end of the rock n roll spectrum.  You can easily get lefties in Japan, but for some reason they don't export them - or didn't last time I checked.  Interestingly, the models they do export have Strat-style output jacks with knobs flush to the body which I prefer over the standard Jazz jacks/panels on the domestic models.

3 hours ago, Agent 00Soul said:

I got to try an Aerodyne in a Japanese music shop.  One of the best bass sounds I've heard for the "rock" end of the rock n roll spectrum.  You can easily get lefties in Japan, but for some reason they don't export them - or didn't last time I checked.  Interestingly, the models they do export have Strat-style output jacks with knobs flush to the body which I prefer over the standard Jazz jacks/panels on the domestic models.

You occasionally see lefty Aerodynes in the UK. Guitar Guitar in Glasgow had one a couple of years ago. I had a shot but couldn't afford it. 😞

• 1 month later...
On 12/08/2021 at 15:07, kevham said:

You occasionally see lefty Aerodynes in the UK. Guitar Guitar in Glasgow had one a couple of years ago. I had a shot but couldn't afford it. 😞

There's a few Japan importers, Bass Bros and Gas Station Guitars... I've never bought from either but I see them listing lefty basses on Reverb and Facebook. They do expect £1000 for second hand MIJ Basses though, and that's the bog standard ones!

• 5 months later...

It took me a few years to realise that what I already had was all I needed. A good Jazz and a good P-Bass pretty much covered 'all bases'.  '98 USA Standard( N serial number owned from new) & 2012 American Standard Jazz owned from new. Both loaded with EB slinky cobalt flats. The Jazz has Ironstone vintage 70's Jazz pickups and the P-Bass is stock apart from the original replacement Fender 2010 P-Bass deluxe string through/top load bridge. Haven't gassed for any other basses for years now. That's a good thing 🙂  

IMG_0183.thumb.jpeg.7317874b574d81f4db040f3595dd59e0.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 11:32, LeftyJ said:

I'm really gassing for one at the moment, but lack of funds currently stops me from getting one. It's called the Baby Z-4 PJ. There's a JJ too

I just got offered an Atelier Z Baby Z JJ in a trade for my 1981 Ibanez MC924 :o. It's in the USA though, so I need to think about it. I will be hit with a 21% VAT and up to 4% import duties, so it's not "just" a trade. But man, am I tempted! It's a natural ash model with a plexi pickguard and maple fingerboard with white block inlays and it looks like so much fun! 

• Like 1

I've only ever seen pics of an Atelier Baby Z, but they look fantastic instruments. If I could justify the outlay, I'd definitely be interested.

The Aerodynes have always interested me.. they just look so cool! I think Kev's non-export looks a lot better than the ones that were readily available, without the scratchplate and control plate.

2 hours ago, rasher80 said:

I've only ever seen pics of an Atelier Baby Z, but they look fantastic instruments. If I could justify the outlay, I'd definitely be interested.

Same here, I've never seen one in the flesh. But I've had severe shortscale GAS for over a year now, and it's right up my alley. I love the Mustang-like looks and it's a shortscale with 16,5 mm string spacing at the bridge, but that's where the similarities end: it's a modern, Jazz Bass-like sounding active bass (but can be switched to passive with the bridge volume push/pull pot). If it was the version with the reverse P pickup I would have made my mind up already, but I'm in doubt now because I don't really need a mini Jazz. It looks like so much fun though! 

Edit: pics or it didn't happen. 

IMG-20220326-WA0022.thumb.jpg.a95a07286639a9125812578cea777917.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

I couldn't resist. It's happening, I'm trading my Ibanez Musician for this. I'm looking forward to it a LOT! It's going to take a little while, and going through Customs is going to cost me dearly, but I'm very eager to get my hands on it! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...