Why become a member? ×

Converting mission from left to right

Jamesk86

Thats right, I have decided after 7 years playing left handed I am going to force myself to play right handed! Mainly becasue I am sick of hunting for decent left handed basses and not finding anything!!

This if going to be a long and painful transition! hahahaha oh dear lord!!

:)

From a technique point of view, that'll be like starting from scratch. I hope your frustration tolerance is up for it :)

BTW.... I have often wondered about the whole lefty thing. Both your left and right hands are doing complex activities so why is any easier to play a left hand bass if you are left handed?

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='438132' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:25 AM']From a technique point of view, that'll be like starting from scratch. I hope your frustration tolerance is up for it :)

BTW.... I have often wondered about the whole lefty thing. Both your left and right hands are doing complex activities so why is any easier to play a left hand bass if you are left handed?[/quote]
It's because the dominant hand is stronger and plucking requires more controlled strength than fretting.

I tried switching from left hand to right for playing golf, as cheap LH clubs were hard to come by. Gave up trying pretty quick though.

Play bass and write right handed though. I took up golf leftwards because I always played Cricket that way round. Don't know why, but there is a photo of me doing it aged about 4. Quite common really.

You're looking at not only establishing a different regime of muscle memory but also facing the prospect of rewiring your brain. I'm a lefty-plays-righty and I've tried to play left handed and it feels worse than starting from scratch. Its like you have to get comfortable with your muscles before even beginning to learn, inspite of my left handed dominance. Playing bass is the only thing I do right handed.

HOWEVER.

The best session drummers can play ambidextrously, so there's no reason why not if you immerse yourself completely in the task for maybe 6 months to a year perhaps? In an ideal world I'd play fretless right handed and slap left handed so my left hand is doing the most important things in both cases.

It is not impossible. I play lefty properly, mirror imaged. I can play upside down lefty generally, and I can play righty a bit but not as much. It is just how I started, I tried both for a while in the 70s, then did lefty upside down for a couple of years, and switched to proper lefty when I wanted to learn to thumb slap the bass. Years later, Jimmy Haslip proved that you could slap an upside down lefty bass.

Many a Macca character in a Beatles tribute band - the serious ones anyway - have not only learnt to play lefty, but to play and sing lefty from RH. Nothing's impossible.

Are you really doing this because you can't find enough decent lefty basses to buy?

Sure lefties are harder to find but I think it just makes you more picky when you do find something. If its that much of a problem then start saving those pennies and get a custom bass. They aren't that much more than topend factory builds and you'll definitely keep it a lifetime.

Or is it the fact that you keep smashing headstocks on stage with your righty guitarist!?! :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='438183' date='Mar 18 2009, 12:22 PM']Save time,save effort,save your sanity....

Save money and buy custom![/quote]

Totally, Imagine how many hours you are about to sink into getting back to square 1 (where you are now)...

Now, imagine investing that time into improving your existing technique?

G

haha such a mixed response!! I just think it will be fun to start from scratch again to be honest! at least this time round I will have the theory nad know how already behind me!! I've just got to re work the paws!!

There have been too many times when i've walked into a guitar shop and only been shown left handed fender jazz basses, Ibanez GSR-200L's and extreme rare bass's like Wals or customer shop Warwicks!

I have no idea why I started to play left handed I guess becasue I write with my left hand I assumed it was the correct thing to do!!

I'm going ot pick up a Fender jazz to start on next week and take it from there!! :)

I play golf and cricket (batting) left handed, eat and write right handed, play drums left handed, bowl (cricket) right handed, play bass right handed, and kick with both feet but slightly predominantley left footed, and when firing a steam loco I can fire from the right side of the cab cos I shovel coal left handed. :)

Depends what kind of playing you do. I've always maintained that if you are playing reasonably busy melodic basslines you really want your dominant (and thus usually more dextrous) hand doing the fretting part rather than the plucking part, hence it's not surprising that a lot of lefties (like me) play right handed. I doubt I could play anything on a leftie bass. I guess if you are a serious slapper or doing complex plucking stuff then it might be better doing that with the left hand.

I think you select your lefty/rightyness at a sublimal level.
Like many here I play cricket/gold righty. I hold my knife and fork righty. Yet I never considered playing bass righty.
I've thought about this before and i attribute it back to those prepubescent days of playing air-guitar in my bedroom. I played air-guitar lefty - no rhyme nor reason for it. I was a lefty air-guitarist and it stuck from there.
To really make the point, my first bass was righty (borrowed from the bands old bassist who wanted to play lead guitar) and he taught me the basics righthanded. Yet I still flipped it over and played 'the wrong way'.

I don't think it'll be as hard as everyone thinks - I've messed around on left handed basses now and again and although weird its not as bad as starting from scratch. I personally believe that left handed guitars and basses should not exist - how many left handed violins, pianos, saxophones etc are out there?

Alex

Its truly not that important which way you play.

My son is a lefty, writes lefty, does everything lefty, except music. He played violin righty, he plays DB righty, and he plays EB righty.

I have a guitarist friend who is righty but can play with equal ability righty or lefty or upside down righty (as a lefty). He just got really into the whole idea of being able to play ambidextrously to see how far he could take it. Its pretty neat, I've seen him play half a solo righty, spin the guitar over and play the other half lefty (upside down righty); he used to be seamless at that and as fine a piece of showboating as I have ever seen it was too!

He reckoned it took him 6t months to get comfy and a year to get the musculature all the way there. Dont know if he still does this though...

Edited by 51m0n

I always thought that the human race had it the wrong way around??? Right handed musicians have their left hand doing all the hard work fretting etc???? Where's the logic in that?

The guys name escapes me, but there's a famous acoustic player who lost the ability to play right handed, but he re-taught himself to play all his material lefty instead! Amazing!!