Why become a member? ×

Rattling D string on Stagg eub

weeleigh

My D string on my Stagg eub had developed a rattle, so I decided to change the strings. I got the stock Stagg set as I can’t justify shelling out loads on fancy strings as I don’t use it that much. However, after changing the strings, the rattle still persists. It sounds like the truss rod is rattling inside the neck. I’ve managed to tighten the truss rod with a 4mm Allen key, but it doesn’t seem to be curing it. The other strings are fine, it’s just the D.

Anyone got any ideas on a fix? Thanks.

Edited by weeleigh

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

got a pic, open or sealed machine head... any screws or bolts that could do with a nip up?

If the open type a removal disassembly and a back together may improve matters, may bexwith a small washer between screw n pin?

It’s the older type where the string slots through a hole, I think the later ones had a different type. I’ve tightened all the screws on the tuner. You may be right, taking it off and reassembling might be worth a try. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, weeleigh said:

I don’t think it is, otherwise why is it only the D string? Playing notes on the D is not too bad but open string there is a really obvious rattle. The tuner feels a bit slacker than the others.

Resonant frequency. The guy covers this on his website. It could be what you suggest. Mine rattles too and I can hear it's the truss rod (the website says it's useless anyway).

20 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Resonant frequency. The guy covers this on his website. It could be what you suggest. Mine rattles too and I can hear it's the truss rod (the website says it's useless anyway).

Yes, I see the guy poured silicone sealant into the truss rod to cure the rattle.

I still think it’s the tuner though. I’ll have a further look at it tomorrow, maybe take it off and tinker with it. Thanks again! 😀

• 1 month later...

So you doing much on your Stagg? Tbf mine stayed pretty pristine for a couple of years always intending to pick it up - which I finally started doing in earnest last year.  

And it's been a lot of fun.

It now has the accolade of being the earliest purchased bass I've still got! Survival by "non use" 😁

I do play it a fair bit. My 'office' at home is also the 'music room' - the apostrophes are used to indicate the generosity of using those terms - and so my basses are all in the same room with me during the day. I will pick one up (or stand up) and plunk away when tax becomes too dull to contemplate!! 🙂

• Like 1