Why become a member? ×

Schecter dUg 12-string bass.

Cuzzie

That's nice. I have the black one and put some Nordstrand Big Blades in it. Great versatile bass and very easy to adapt to. 

The dUg 12 looks like it uses a similar but evolved version of the bridge as the Dean Rhapsody 12 and uses the same tuners. I'd assume, as it's made in South Korea, that it's made in the same factory and uses the same truss rod arrangement. The neck profile is very different though, (for me, probably a lot better) 52mm vs 54mm at the nut, 16" radius vs 14" radius. The depth of the neck at the 1st and 12th frets is about the same from measuring my Rhapsody 12. I reckon it's the natural evolution of that and a bit easier to play. I wouldn't buy one without playing it first though although it is right up my street.

I'd also recommend watching Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick, he plays one 90% of the time and is the definitive 12 string bass player (he was the man that invented it).

Also Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam uses one on many of the early songs. 

43 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Would anyone care to post some examples of Dug playing a 12-string bass? Interested to see how it gets used in a band context.

35 minutes ago, Sean said:

I'd also recommend watching Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick, he plays one 90% of the time and is the definitive 12 string bass player (he was the man that invented it).

Also Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam uses one on many of the early songs. 

The main thing with 12-strings (believe me, I owned one) is trying to keep the octave strings under some type of control; I found that simply just plugging in and playing (irrespective of whether this was straight or through a a BDDI or something) was that the octaves would just ring and sound too shrill.  Up the dusty end, the octave strings sounded like a mandolin playing over the fundamentals.

I ended up plugging into a Rolls Crossover, routing the low end through a Sansamp BDDI and the high side through a Sansamp GT2; this just gave me the option of adding minimal dirt to the fundamentals and some proper guitary style distortion on the octaves.  I could then run these outputs through a two channel power amp into two cabs, or combining through an ABY box into a mono amp (the latter was a bit hit and miss TBH).

Kings X love a year ago

12ver for 3 songs at 35mins if peeps don’t want to listen to the full concert (why I dunno?!?!!) on Pray, Black Flag, Lost in Germany.

This is the bass Yamaha made for him, similar shape - uses the same pick up as in the schecter one

• Thanks 1