Why become a member? ×

NBD - MIK 1996 Squier Precision Bass

Nibody

Years ago (1996 to be exact) I bought a maroon-ish coloured brand new MIK Squier as a backup to my 76 P bass. It never really got played much and was sold on when I quit and sold all my gear around 2000.

Fast foreward to this week, and this comes up on ebay - same year/model/colour.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-P-Bass-Korean/254711420265?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Arrived today - oh god was it dirty - gunky fretboard, dirty body and neck, collapsed pickups, crackly pots. Upside is the neck is fine aside from a lot of grime and dings, Truss rod works great.

PBN1.thumb.jpg.de0c35d6b9ccafe7054e9ce1851ffce3.jpg

Basic clean up done and stage 1 of upgrades (Gotoh 201B, SD Quarter Pounders, Sprague/switchcraft/CTS loom). Gold mirrored pickguard due and more cleaning.

6F5A2424-A383-497A-B741-EBD543534853.jpeg

B00865E5-6A12-407F-8523-46D8CD06ACA9.jpeg

FF63244F-3470-408F-98F6-BA273DB01E12.jpeg

A5299104-ECA9-4E1A-9840-0A845C5574D4.jpeg

Edited by Nibody
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Congrats, def a well kept secret, the MIK Squiers, very decent instruments indeed

Its a later one too so its the solid alder (I believe) body rather than the composite/ply they used on the earlier ones. Also need to change the tuners as they are pretty much past their sell by date - but I do have a set of Wilkinson 70's style that I bought from here on a whim about a year or so ago.

8 hours ago, ead said:

Midnight Wine I think, lovely colour.

Correct,  around 1996/7 Fender offered a 'full' range of Midnight Wine guitars and basses. IIRC Jazz, P , Strat, & Telecaster were of Mex origin with Alder bodies, maple necks and white pickguards. They were mainly sold in the US market through a handful of major retail chains. I still own a Strat bought from Guitar Centre in San Jose in 1997 while working there. The MIM builds were of a surprising higher quality. The success of the exclusive deal with the major retailers prompted the demand for an entry-level range Squier Midnight Wine guitars and basses. 

Enjoy your lovely bass, congrats 

Here is my 1989 S9 MIK Squier Precision with a nice gloss neck and, licensed by Schaller machine heads & a heavy plywood body. It was bought by my Girlfriend twice for me in 1998, & again in 2008 when I was lucky enough to get it back from my friend who I sold it to. It now resides in a padded gig bag in the loft as it doesn't get played much &, I'm not a fan of the thinner Squier bodies.
009-jpg.252854headstock-2-jpg.252855

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luckman67 said:

Here is my 1989 S9 MIK Squier Precision with a nice gloss neck and, licensed by Schaller machine heads & a heavy plywood body. It was bought by my Girlfriend twice for me in 1998, & again in 2008 when I was lucky enough to get it back from my friend who I sold it to. It now resides in a padded gig bag in the loft as it doesn't get played much &, I'm not a fan of the thinner Squier bodies.

Nooooo not the loft!!! Hope it’s warm and dry loft!

Edited by Nibody

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice bass. Great for the money.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:36, luckman67 said:

I had one of those once, but I sold it. That was a few years ago and I still regret it. One of the nicest basses I've owned.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jakester said:

Oof, that is lovely! 

Cheers. It does look rather tasty. Sounds good too. I can't get over how nice the neck is to play - not at all how I remember my old backup bass of the same age/model/colour. I did lightly sand the neck and "round over/roll" the edges slightly, don't kno if that was what made the difference. Been playing 5 strings solidly for a couple of years but this has really put me back in love with P Basses. Last thing I need to do is replace the nut but Im not in a rush to do that.