Why become a member? ×

Do you want to rock? If so what does it look like?

Barking Spiders

I've been dipping in and out of Planet Rock today in the hope of hearing something other than Kiss, Brothers Johnson, Dire Straits, Led Zep, Aerosh1t, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Thunder, CCR, John Mellencamp etc  and in many songs the singers are saying they wanna rock, in general it seems. Often they're more specific e.g. rock somebody else, including you. Rock (n' roll) someone at night time, even all night long. Occasionally they want to rock you like something, fr'instance a hurricane but never any other type of tropical cyclone. Trouble is, I'm not sure what this rocking involves, what it looks like etc. And as for the roll bit, when does that normally come in? Any inside knowledge here? Ta.

13 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I've been dipping in and out of Planet Rock today in the hope of hearing something other than Kiss, Brothers Johnson, Dire Straits, Led Zep, Aerosh1t, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Thunder, CCR, John Mellencamp...

You dipped in and out of a classic rock station in the hope of hearing something other than classic rock?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having spent 15yrs on the Americana / Alt.country scene, I returned to play on the rock circuit at the start of 2019. My band definitely has a bit of swagger and adds the "roll" to the mix but we have played with some full on rock bands. I find the scene is harder in the sense that there are so many bands, where as more niche scenes like Rockabilly, Americana etc it is easier to stand out as there are fewer acts on the circuit. 

Whether playing in the midlands or north or going out to Europe we have seen some absolute comedy gold - one Italian bass player was lifting his bass in the air and punching it with the side of his fist. I didn't ever imagine I would see that, especially in 2019! He ran off stage to then go to the toilet for a lengthy number 2 the second he got off stage! I've never seen so much headbanging, fists in the air, two hand tapping and screaming. I grew up listening to Johnny Thunders so none of this is strictly my bag but there's definitely still a market for it and people seem to enjoy it. Fair play to them. I'm having more fun on this circuit not quite fitting in then I did on the more poe-faced niche scenes I have played on.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

You dipped in and out of a classic rock station in the hope of hearing something other than classic rock?

A year ago I sent in a rock block list containing toons by Pixies, Killing Joke, Queens OTSA,  Clutch, FNM, Julian Cope, JAMC, Stranglers, Curve, Ministry and Rammstein. Also some of these for the English Breakfast thingy on Pail Anthony's show but niente, nada. They are rock after all so errm yep I still live in hope

43 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

A year ago I sent in a rock block list containing toons by Pixies, Killing Joke, Queens OTSA,  Clutch, FNM, Julian Cope, JAMC, Stranglers, Curve, Ministry and Rammstein. Also some of these for the English Breakfast thingy on Pail Anthony's show but niente, nada. They are rock after all so errm yep I still live in hope

Good bands but "Classic Rock"?