Why become a member? ×

Anyone familiar with GSS cabs?

Martelino

I've owned and still own GSS products, including the FRFR 12 + 6 + tweeter and they do what they are supposed to do, but the way some are arguing for arguing is not what I'm used to read on BassChat.

That's all, and I'm not hi-jacking this thread, just a lot tired by this way of proceeding.

Ask the questions directly to Didier Elchardus or invite him to discuss here instead of guessing. This way, we will have the correct answers.

It really looks like a trial court.

54 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I've owned and still own GSS products, including the FRFR 12 + 6 + tweeter and they do what they are supposed to do, but the way some are arguing for arguing is not what I'm used to read on BassChat.

That's all, and I'm not hi-jacking this thread, just a lot tired by this way of proceeding.

Ask the questions directly to Didier Elchardus or invite him to discuss here instead of guessing. This way, we will have the correct answers.

It really looks like a trial court.

Hi Hellzero, I see you use GSS products. As you can read in my opening post I want to assemble a small rig and am seriously looking at the Baby Sumo and a Single 12 coax. I have had contact with Didier and he filled me in on the technical details. Since I cannot test them in my country I’m very interested in your experience as a user! Especially the sound characteristics and how they hold up in live situations.

Edited by Martelino

You already have my answer, and honestly you will be the one playing it, with the way you pluck the strings, the way you fret the notes, the way you adjust the gain, the type of strings, and so on.

I mainly play sixer fretless through a TrickFish Trilobite (or a MarkBass Stereo Ground Preamp too) going to the FRFR 12 + 6 + tweeter (I like the flat sound those FRFR amplified boxes can reproduce and maybe it would not be up to your taste), and yes it's going low enough to ear an F#0, not the fundamental, of course, but then comes the psychoacoustics in with your ears, brain, education, social level, ... decoding the harmonics and making you hear the notes the correct way... for you. That said, most of the cabinets made are totally unable to even reproduce the fundamental of an E1, the A1 being often the first note entirely reproduced (55 Hz !!!), but here I'm arguing (not disputing), so won't go any further...

I know it's hard to try GSS products anywhere, but there are loads of videos here to make up your mind and see (hear would be better) if the tone colour is up to your taste : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYZIWNoEQvw0D-4RQQk_W-w/videos

Most of the people playing through my main system (Trilobite or Stereo Ground Preamp + FRFR) don't like it at all as it's too flat for them, missing the low mids colouration of an especially for bass designed cabinet and going way much higher than any bass cab.

I had a GSS Single 12 Coax with a GSS Sumo power amp and a Warwick Hellborg preamp too and it's quite close to a MarkBass Alain Caron first generation, less coloured

The summit was the Warwick Hellborg preamp and GSS Sumo power amp coupled to an AudioKinesis 18134 (1 x 18 inches + 4 x 3 inches) : ears climax !

I also had a small 06B400 combo that was quite terrific despite the very small footprint.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hellzero said:

You already have my answer, and honestly you will be the one playing it, with the way you pluck the strings, the way you fret the notes, the way you adjust the gain, the type of strings, and so on.

I mainly play sixer fretless through a TrickFish Trilobite (or a MarkBass Stereo Ground Preamp too) going to the FRFR 12 + 6 + tweeter (I like the flat sound those FRFR amplified boxes can reproduce and maybe it would not be up to your taste), and yes it's going low enough to ear an F#0, not the fundamental, of course, but then comes the psychoacoustics in with your ears, brain, education, social level, ... decoding the harmonics and making you hear the notes the correct way... for you. That said, most of the cabinets made are totally unable to even reproduce the fundamental of an E1, the A1 being often the first note entirely reproduced (55 Hz !!!), but here I'm arguing (not disputing), so won't go any further...

I know it's hard to try GSS products anywhere, but there are loads of videos here to make up your mind and see (hear would be better) if the tone colour is up to your taste : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYZIWNoEQvw0D-4RQQk_W-w/videos

Most of the people playing through my main system (Trilobite or Stereo Ground Preamp + FRFR) don't like it at all as it's too flat for them, missing the low mids colouration of an especially for bass designed cabinet and going way much higher than any bass cab.

I had a GSS Single 12 Coax with a GSS Sumo power amp and a Warwick Hellborg preamp too and it's quite close to a MarkBass Alain Caron first generation, less coloured

The summit was the Warwick Hellborg preamp and GSS Sumo power amp coupled to an AudioKinesis 18134 (1 x 18 inches + 4 x 3 inches) : ears climax !

I also had a small 06B400 combo that was quite terrific despite the very small footprint.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, this is very helpfull. Indeed I am looking for an FRFR (a term I didn't know before), just amplifying all the aspects of my playing. And it seems GSS is one of the ways to go, especially since Didier is so easy to get in touch with.

Edited by Martelino
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Martelino said:

Thank you so much, this is very helpfull. Indeed I am looking for an FRFR (a term I didn't know before), just amplifying all the aspects of my playing. And it seems GSS is one of the ways to go, especially since Didier is so easy to get in touch with.

If FRFR is your bag, then ask him what he thinks about the Double Six and how it compares to his Single12 for your needs. He can fit the Double Six with the coax 6.5 driver, which is amazing (speaking as someone who owns and has gigged with it) but you may not even need the coax.

As @Hellzero says, there are good videos of the cabinets online. Most useful to you probably is the one which compares the single12 to his Four6.

Edited by chyc
  • Like 1