Why become a member? ×

Thinking of burning my basses.

Bassman Sam

:i-m_so_happy:

I'd like to see him playing that same song in twenty year's time. B|

And maybe those that need some 'special' bass because they have 'small hands' could learn something from watching this..? 9_9

(It's still sad to see the 'frightened rabbit' look flash by when he makes those tiny mistakes. :( )

• Like 1

Impressive but... this phenomena is known as a 'dancing pony'. So you've got a dancing horse. It's not great dancing (music) but it's a horse so that's something. Nobody would spend money to buy this a music but it's a dancing horse. It's a product of the YouTube age. Give it 90 seconds and you'll click away. 

I'd rather hear about where you've spent your money to buy music. Not to show a talented statistical edge case do something you can't. 

And 'no' I don't like gospel.

** Edit - a bit harsh. Talented little chap but I don't want to listed to it, let alone pay for it. **

Edited by visog
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, visog said:

Impressive but...

** Edit - a bit harsh. Talented little chap but I don't want to listed to it, let alone pay for it. **

Yeah, I'd say that was really quite harsh.  Nobody is selling his music or talent for you to even think about putting your hands in your pockets and spending your precious money yet as far as I know, so let's not just slap it down, shall we?

While he'd definitely be advised to reign in the gurning a bit, he is clearly a very talented youngster who will hopefully stick with learning the bass and become an exceedingly talented adult player.  I bloody love that thought.

And, in case you didn't notice, we live in a Youtube/Tiktok age.  Kids don't watch much, if any conventional TV these days.  I don't like it much either but for goodness sake deal with it!  I am (and I suspect you are too) of an age where we strove to get ourselves seen and get into bands and get a deal so that we could be famous, sell records and make our fortune.  It didn't work for most, but at least there was a known pathway.

In case the largely +50 demographic here hasn't actually noticed yet, it don't work like that any more.  Releasing albums and singles won't pay the rent, with Spotify and the like needing tens of thousands of listens to even cover minimum wage.

I suspect most young bass players who visit this site to do anything other than look at ads for second hand gear see posts like yours and think there's not much to be learned from this forum. I personally find that deeply disappointing. 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, visog said:

And 'no' I don't like gospel.

...and each to their own on this one. I love the music but I'm happy to park the church bit... but just so you know, most of the current young upcoming bass players and musicians I work with have either come through gospel or see the form as a fundamental root and influence to their playing style, so you're pretty much gonna be guaranteed disappointed with what they can come up with!

He certainly has some chops and his timing will improve when he learns to sit back on the beat more. I’d also like to see him lose the fretwrap in order to learn good muting technique. That notwithstanding, he still has better chops than when I was his age (maybe even now 😂). However, he’ll discover sex soon enough and bass will be out the window for a good while.

After thought: Either he is a large 9 year old or that’s a small J bass.

Edited by ezbass

4 hours ago, MoJoKe said:

Yeah, I'd say that was really quite harsh.  Nobody is selling his music or talent for you to even think about putting your hands in your pockets and spending your precious money yet as far as I know, so let's not just slap it down, shall we?

While he'd definitely be advised to reign in the gurning a bit, he is clearly a very talented youngster who will hopefully stick with learning the bass and become an exceedingly talented adult player.  I bloody love that thought.

And, in case you didn't notice, we live in a Youtube/Tiktok age.  Kids don't watch much, if any conventional TV these days.  I don't like it much either but for goodness sake deal with it!  I am (and I suspect you are too) of an age where we strove to get ourselves seen and get into bands and get a deal so that we could be famous, sell records and make our fortune.  It didn't work for most, but at least there was a known pathway.

In case the largely +50 demographic here hasn't actually noticed yet, it don't work like that any more.  Releasing albums and singles won't pay the rent, with Spotify and the like needing tens of thousands of listens to even cover minimum wage.

I suspect most young bass players who visit this site to do anything other than look at ads for second hand gear see posts like yours and think there's not much to be learned from this forum. I personally find that deeply disappointing. 😩

Good thoughtful response and respectfully taken. My point is that I want some great music with bass - that's it. Don't care who provides it. Fact is these young stars are notable for their age nothing else. Let's see how they get on. For example this chap - child as a freak then subsequently maturing into a artist. The youth is a distraction.

• Like 1