Why become a member? ×

Cracked Mirror Prototype P bass *SOLD PENDING*
£375
Rochester Kent

BaggyMan

Now £350

Are you sitting comfortably..?  then i'll begin 

A few years back the fine people at Enfield/SIMS were selling off some stuff from their workshop.  This is one of those things. 

Its was a P bass body with about 2mm skimmed off the face and  an Acrylic cracked mirror facing expertly applied.  The 21 fret (yay high E!) neck is Maple and the headstock was modified to give a more old school p bass vibe.  Hardware was a knackered old BBOT bridge and no electronics.  The Back is gloss black by the SIMS paint shop.  

I started out by cleaning and doing a set up to see of the neck was any good etc.  Turned out the heel of the neck had to be reduced by a couple of mm, which i did (probably due to the skim from the front for the acrylic changing the neck pocket presentation).   I also tidied the headstock the Nitro varnished the back of the neck and knocked it back to give a very smooth and non sticky feel.  

On the body I installed a Kick-donkey (edit KICKASS) bridge, my go to p bass pickups the Dimarzio DP122  (adjustable pole pieces., high output, great tone),  Copper shielded control cavity, CTS pots,  orange cap and cloth wiring.  

The machine heads are un-stamped but are very good quality.  Suspect they are  Schaller or similar definitely not a Chinese £15 a set! 

I tried a few scratchplates and settled on the mirror one you see here. 

Weight: approx 9lbs or 4kgs..

The bass now plays great, warm hi output and looks the nuts, or at least looks unique!  I have gigged it a good few times an it always generates positive comments.

It certainly has 'mojo' and plays great, truss rod is free and adjustable, plenty of room to manoeuvre on the saddles for low/hi action.  There are scratches on the back and one dint in keeping I guess from a guitar that sat around in  a workshop for a good while   

Condition is subjective I guess as its seen some life not road aged or heavily knocked about but there are a few dints here and there, but show room isn't what this bass is about. 

It's unique characterful and lets face it Shiny! 

So to sum up this is a very nice p bass, you definitely wont see another, plays well, choice hardware and all for the price of a Squier...

Some pictures...apologies is needs a wipedown

edit:  just run some polish over the back, and most of the scuffs have polished out..last pic of back updated.

image.png

20201110_110736.jpg

20201110_110831.jpg

20201110_110859.jpg

20201110_110917.jpg

20201111_104047.jpg

Edited by BaggyMan
remove spellchecker mistakes
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Based on the shape of the plates, I'd suggest that the tuners are Gotoh GB2

Cool.  Same backing plate as the schallers i had on a fender.  But they were marked so possibly gotoh as you say.  Either way good kit.

• MB1 locked this topic