Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Thin end?

until a few decades ago, we forced women into marriage as the only way they could own property which was their detremement. We forced them to dress a certain way that was to their detriment, and they were half the population. Now a couple of people have got to get a vacine and that is the thin end of the wedge making them do something??

sorry I didn’t address this good point earlier and I am sure we can move on after.

I agree - the wedge is massive and none of that is correct. It was a turn of phrase incorrectly used by me.

What you say is correct, but what I think I was trying to convey was that with what you said smaller sections of society were/are pressurised - this is now expanding . Having experienced elements - it’s not right - that’s all.

We're playing our second wedding gig, since restrictions lifted, tomorrow in Windsor. One of the singers is currently on holiday in Donegal so he's taking two flights back to get to the gig and will then fly back on Sunday. He's just arrived at Dublin airport and next flight is at 4 30pm this afternoon.

Windsor gig in time (21-08).jpg

Talk about commitment!!!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

We're playing our second wedding gig, since restrictions lifted, tomorrow in Windsor. One of the singers is currently on holiday in Donegal so he's taking two flights back to get to the gig and will then fly back on Sunday. He's just arrived at Dublin airport and next flight is at 4 30pm this afternoon.

Talk about commitment!!!

That's commitment!

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Talk about commitment!!!

He's not getting his travel expenses paid.

Been a long time…

So, I’ve just done my first gigs for 17 months over the weekend; a couple of deps for a Led Zeppelin tribute band, due to their normal bass player having an arm injury. I had two weeks to learn 19 songs and got the chance to channel my inner JPJ. The first gig I shared with a keys player (so I was offstage while they did Stairway, Kashmir, No Quarter, etc) and the second was just me apart from a short acoustic set.

Some thoughts on gigging again post pandemic:

·         Crowds are going to be a bit hit and miss for a bit – the first gig drew a good audience but a far lower turnout from last time they played there (apparently the venue said it has been like that since they’ve started putting on bands again) while the second gig sold out

·         Audiences are really pleased to see live music again (perhaps a little too pleased at the second gig with people wanting to congratulate, shake hands, hug you after the gig – a couple of people started off giving you a fist bump that turned into a hug)

·         I’d forgotten about motorway roulette – i.e. driving home at 1:00am to find that the motorway suddenly has miles of cones / lane closures / closed exits that weren’t there on the drive to the gig earlier

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Audiences are really pleased to see live music again (perhaps a little too pleased at the second gig with people wanting to congratulate, shake hands, hug you after the gig – a couple of people started off giving you a fist bump that turned into a hug)

I didn't hug anyone before the pandemic, sure as hell not starting now!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It certainly wasn't in the small print when I joined a band. 😅

You didn't look closely enough! 

Wait until you come across American musos - every greeting / goodbye involves a handshake ritual that culminates in a bear hug!

On 27/07/2021 at 08:03, Phil Starr said:

Hi Al, 

As ever mine was just a factual post.  There was a study and both in terms of economics and Live music performances Australia has done way better than us. That is still true. The rate of vaccination in Australia is poor for a wealthy country and frankly the worlds media coverage of Astra Zeneca hasn't helped, taking aspirin or paracetomol is far more dangerous and my guess is most anti-vaxers pop pills with a lot less caution than I do. Getting one bit of the equation right doesn't stop you making other mistakes.

I note that the governments science advisors including SAGE members have a model that is predicting another 50,000 people killed by Covid in the next 12 months as a median figure due to the current relaxations. They clearly see this as acceptable. That's of course not including other cancelled treatments due to Covid bed blocking. The NHS is already starting to turn people away from some hospitals. I note also that the trials of opening night clubs and other indoor events have resulted in over a third of the participants contracting covid and that was the Alpha strain. Indoor events are pretty much super-spreader events. Outdoor ones much safer

Further I am concerned that letting Delta rip through a population where around 1/3 of the population is unproteced is, according to DR Phillip Hammond "the prefect petri dish for breeding vaccine resistance." Of course vaccine resistance means  the virus is  also bypassing natural immunity. Vaccines only work by triggering our natural immune system. There are a number of coronavirus genes out there we wouldn't want to meet with Delta. Viruses swap genetic material if you have co-infection. Co infection becomes common with something as infectious as Delta. One of the genes we know is out there, as reported in New Scientist, would make Covid 100 times more infectious than Alpha. Others out there would make it more deadly than Delta. There is no predicting random comings together but when the improbable looks so bad it is better to avoid the random.

I'm sure the migration of lemmings is also a glorious sight, I know how it ends! 

Phil - the Aus / NZ 'zero covid' model is definitely worth keeping an eye on as it is a clear alternative to one being adopted by the US, UK and Europe. There was no play book for Covid for any government to follow other than the WHO shouldn't have taken such a supine position and should have encouraged other nations to cut travel to China much, much sooner. There were understandably lots of plaudits early on in the pandemic for the Aus / NZ model but their zero-Covid approach is starting to look a little threadbare. Came across this article which you might find interesting. Right now I would much rather be a 'free' citizen in the UK than facing another 12 months of lockdowns in Aus & NZ.

Covid-19 - Aus & NZ (21-08).pdf

• Like 1

went to see our singers other band last night, originally it was scheduled for outside, then moved inside because it might rain, it didn't, but it was hot and sweaty and it's only a small narrow room so it was fairly crowded inside, I've had both jabs but I was less than comfortable in there, people were pushing past all night to get to the bar or the toilets, and as you'd expect with loud music there was a lot of shouting with the spitting that goes with it, we moved to the back of the room after about half an hour, I'm a lot more comfortable on stage than off it

• Like 2

4th gig in 6-days today, outdoors. Pubs were rammed each time, very lively audiences on their feet who were getting quite close. Luckily I was able to retreat behind the two guitarists and hide at the back with the drummist. I was a bit anxious as there were some very very inebriated people wanting to get in with the band, but we managed to keep our space 👍

• Like 1

Our first theatre gig since lockdown last night. Sensible precautions backstage and with the crew, although none of the 600+ audience appeared to wearing masks. Despite being (presumably / hopefully) mainly double jabbed oldies, nevertheless I’m glad they were a good distance from us. One of the benefits of doing theatres is the stage is normally a fair way from the punters in the stalls. The band did well despite being a string player down (due to isolating), and it was good to back doing it after nearly 18 months of nothing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Phil - the Aus / NZ 'zero covid' model is definitely worth keeping an eye on as it is a clear alternative to one being adopted by the US, UK and Europe. There was no play book for Covid for any government to follow other than the WHO shouldn't have taken such a supine position and should have encouraged other nations to cut travel to China much, much sooner. There were understandably lots of plaudits early on in the pandemic for the Aus / NZ model but their zero-Covid approach is starting to look a little threadbare. Came across this article which you might find interesting. Right now I would much rather be a 'free' citizen in the UK than facing another 12 months of lockdowns in Aus & NZ.

Covid-19 - Aus & NZ (21-08).pdf 650.3 kB · 4 downloads

Hi Al, do you want me to comment here? It seems a nice thread and even though I think we would be back quicker if we organised properly as a country as well as having saved maybe 100000 lives I do like reading about the gigs and the gradual return to normal

Maybe we should do this on another thread?.

Just now, Phil Starr said:

Hi Al, do you want me to comment here? It seems a nice thread and even though I think we would be back quicker if we organised properly as a country as well as having saved maybe 100000 lives I do like reading about the gigs and the gradual return to normal

Maybe we should do this on another thread?.

Hi Phil - perfectly happy for you to comment on here: for me the thread is about two things:

- live music returning, and

- what's enabling that to happen (e.g. vaccines appearing on the scene).

You and I have always managed to discuss our different PoVs with civility, so no concerns from me on that score!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Half the old Wirebirds crew are playing together again tonight, this time in Witney. Very enjoyable gigs so far….

Ah Witney! A former family haunt of Mrs Krow! Enjoy mate - hope it goes well! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah Witney! A former family haunt of Mrs Krow! Enjoy mate - hope it goes well! 

Wasn't aware of that - it's our nearest town, about 6 miles away. It's a regular gig I do with my St. Helenian guitarist friend. He played guitar at my daughter's wedding party last week. Good chap.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Wasn't aware of that - it's our nearest town, about 6 miles away. It's a regular gig I do with my St. Helenian guitarist friend. He played guitar at my daughter's wedding party last week. Good chap.

Ah cool! Yes I think you did mention you were playing at your daughter's wedding a few posts back - no pressure then! 😁

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah cool! Yes I think you did mention you were playing at your daughter's wedding a few posts back - no pressure then! 😁

Only pressure will be to play anything like as well as we did last week!