Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Noise limit of 85db - were they using the laptops internal speakers? :D

It was actually quite civilised, I think I'm going to petition for all future gigs to be at that volume 😂

The gig before this one though, took place at a drive-in cinema, where we patched the audio feed into the site transmission system. Unless you were in your car, you couldn't hear anything apart from some un-amplified vocal and the small guitar amp, quite a strange experience.

More seriously though, playing with sound limiters is just the WORST! We're seriously thinking of refusing to play at any functions in future where there's one in place. Just by the audience joining in on a chorus can set the damn thing off and power cut to your rig! 

• Like 1

Now I'll apologise in advance for going here, but from experience of our drummer who's just had to leave the band for different reasons, the post gig fart will breach both that decibel meter, and the constraints of a sturdily built pair of jeans. 

His reasoning is that an hour of jiggling up and down whilst 'sealed' to a drum stool causes all sorts of gaseous build ups, and once 'uncorked' by the stool needs to be released. 

Unpleasant so 'n' so! 

💥💨👃🤢

😁

• Haha 1

85 with a meter is not bad - you can have a plenty loud enough gig and it generally only cuts the power of its consistently offending.

Sometimes the places with meters that will cut only cut a few power sockets right on the stage, but if you can find out and be sneaky you can send a long lead to a socket outside the cutting zone thereby avoiding it as long as the proprietor doesn’t see.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Even with Al written on the side, this has absolutely no chance of staying below 85dB (except when grounded 'cos someone's snaffled the engine)

Stood next to one of those when it started, a Mk14 later one, which is a bit louder, and can confirm, it is not going to get under 85db.

11 minutes ago, Maude said:

Now I'll apologise in advance for going here, but from experience of our drummer who's just had to leave the band for different reasons, the post gig fart will breach both that decibel meter, and the constraints of a sturdily built pair of jeans.

The crowd would easily break 85db.

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

We're seriously thinking of refusing to play at any functions in future where there's one in place

Yeh, we won't play with a limiter, too much risk to the equipment and doesn't make for an enjoyable gig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

85 with a meter is not bad - you can have a plenty loud enough gig and it generally only cuts the power of its consistently offending.

Sometimes the places with meters that will cut only cut a few power sockets right on the stage, but if you can find out and be sneaky you can send a long lead to a socket outside the cutting zone thereby avoiding it as long as the proprietor doesn’t see.

The drummer problem is very real - quite a lot seem incapable of playing quietly (I remember years ago, I was visiting a mate who is a drummer, and his father came in from a gig - he was an elderly jazz musician and announced 'the gig was awful, drummer appeared to think he was building a shed!!! 😂)!!

I have played a couple of quiet gigs with a loud drummer, with a noise limiter - in sound check he was the only one setting it off - he also, it has to be said, has a 60s Ludwig kit - the kit is loud itself and I recall other musicians commenting on how loud Ludwig kits are. Anyway he solved the problem by obtaining towels and putting them over the drum heads - the sound limiter did not go off in the gig and the drums were a very reasonable volume. You do come across drummers who can play intricately and quietly when required but many seemingly can't. Of course, back in the 80s many drummers got the sack from bands as drum machines were not only capable of a decent sound, the volume was capable of adjustment, there was more room on cramped club stages, and you didn't have to pay the machine!! 

As we've gone through the '60s revival' stuff and to an extent the 70s, I wonder whether, once again history will repeat itself and these, apparently all too frequent absurdly loud drummers will be replaced by drum machines!! However guitarists and bassists were often replaced by keyboards in that same era.......... 😦

Edited by drTStingray

Fortunately for us, this wasn't on a limiter, as there's no way we could have taken the risk with the power dropping out and resetting the router and the desk.

I logged the data for the first set and saved it so we could show that we ran at an average of 85, in case there was any issue, but the venue were happy with what we did. The limit, as far as I'm aware, has only been applied as a temporary measure, to make sure they can comply with the current requirements. 

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

This'll depress you all... my pal in the Isle of Man had a gig last night.

The lucky so-and-so.

129091874_5098307533527786_2546156068224587877_o.jpg

Yep, that's depressed me big style. Looks like the same lineup as us and I can't honestly see any light at the end of the tunnel. If fact not sure the band will survive.

17 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

This'll depress you all... my pal in the Isle of Man had a gig last night.

The lucky so-and-so.

129091874_5098307533527786_2546156068224587877_o.jpg

Isle of Man is in tier 1, it never gets mentioned in current reports on the national news, they just mention Cornwall, Scilly Isles and the Isle of Wight.

38 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Media is full of the 'jabs start on Wednesday' stuff -

It is certainly arriving in some places in the middle of next week.

Nowhere seems to have any detail (including my Health Centre website)

Everyone is tied up with logistics, until there is something to on site vaccinate people with there isn't a lot to say.

Is is all a state secret ?

No, see above.

Does the vaccine really exist ?

Yes.

Updates coming to an internet forum near you -    (hopefully) (perhaps)

Or even from the NHS.

• Like 1