Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Happy to take wagers - £10 says I'll have played at least 2 gigs with my bands by mid May 2021. PM me if any Cassandras want to take me up on this. I'll donate any winnings to charity 😉

Plenty of bands/venues were either breaking restrictions or finding ways to bend the rules to their favour from the start...if people really want to gig then they'll find ways to.  I'm happy to look at alternatives - home recording, music college recording courses etc. until we have absolute agreement between every band member that they even want to consider looking at gigging again.

Edited by DaytonaRik

That's very harsh to suggest bands who were playing were in breach of "the rules".  Quite a slur on your fellow musicians in fact.  And how come all those so called rule breakers have not played at all for a couple of months?

I'm not aware of any of my fellow BC'ers who would break the law to play a gig. I certainly won't be and the publicans I deal with are very keen not to lose their licences either.

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's very harsh to suggest bands who were playing were in breach of "the rules".  Quite a slur on your fellow musicians in fact.  And how come all those so called rule breakers have not played at all for a couple of months?

I'm not aware of any of my fellow BC'ers who would break the law to play a gig. I certainly won't be and the publicans I deal with are very keen not to lose their licences either.

Some people were very much breaking the spirit of the rules even if there was some wiggle room in the letter of the law, and some BCers will absolultely break the law to play a gig if they have the oportunity.

• Like 2

Haha OK. I'll leave you to name and shame. 

I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of ever breaking or bending the law to gig in relation to Covid, although I confess to not always having kept below the speed limit on public roads! 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Haha OK. I'll leave you to name and shame. 

Hardly necessary, if you are doing it you probably aren't shamed about it and naming people never really has a positive.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of ever breaking or bending the law to gig in relation to Covid, although I confess to not always having kept below the speed limit on public roads! 

I wouldn't either, although probably not because it was the law, but because there is no amount of playing mustang sally that would compensate for not being able to think straight or walk any distance.

32 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Hardly necessary, if you are doing it you probably aren't shamed about it and naming people never really has a positive.

You do know I was joking about that, Woody?!

Honour amongst thieves...and musos and all that? 😉 

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Happy to take wagers - £10 says I'll have played at least 2 gigs with my bands by mid May 2021. PM me if any Cassandras want to take me up on this. I'll donate any winnings to charity 😉

Two weddings I’m guessing possibly of band members or close friends of the band😀... and remind me who/what are Cassandras? 

Edited by krispn

There were indoor gigs happening in pubs (not music venues) in Plymouth by bands (not duos) comprising of non professional musicians for a month or two leading up until this last lockdown, to the point I was getting fed up of explaining to people why my bands weren't gigging. 

When the current measures are eased there will probably be live music. But there'll be a lot of bands chasing a very limited number of gigs. And they won't be like the gigs we've all loved in the past. Vaccine or no vaccine, Covid is here to stay and we'll still have to maintain these new 'behavoirs' to contain it. The best hope is that it mutates into a strain that becomes much less harmful, or as with SARS1, burns itself out.

Screenshot_20201202-192707.thumb.png.bb4737d07d7bfa63e3cbf7319784fd2d.png

We've got as good a shot at this as anywhere on the planet. And right now I'm glad our govt (for all its faults) and world class drugs regulator have got their act together so quickly.

Mr Fry, a managing director of Sanofi, a Paris-based multi-national and the world's fifth biggest drug maker, said decoupling from the EU's regulatory and purchasing mechanisms had enabled the "nimble buying" of hundreds of millions of doses and a rapid green light for the Pfizer/BioNTech jab. Mr Fry praised the flexibility of the UK Vaccines Taskforce, which has so far secured access to 357 million doses of vaccines from seven different manufacturers. The UK was the first country in the world to pre-order supplies of thePfizer vaccine, securing 40 million doses.

"They've been fast and they got a really nice selection and they got good volumes," Mr Fry said. "I'm not convinced that if they'd been part of that European buying programme they'd have had quite the speed and the flexibility to do it."

How close is a coronavirus vaccine? | Free to read | Financial Times

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

We've got as good a shot at this as anywhere on the planet. And right now I'm glad our govt (for all its faults) and world class drugs regulator have got their act together so quickly.

Mr Fry, a managing director of Sanofi, a Paris-based multi-national and the world's fifth biggest drug maker, said decoupling from the EU's regulatory and purchasing mechanisms had enabled the "nimble buying" of hundreds of millions of doses and a rapid green light for the Pfizer/BioNTech jab. 

Indeed - good what you say if there is money riding on it. 

Except it isn't true, we don't 'decouple from the EU regulatory and purchasing mechanisms' until the end of the month, because we are still under EU rules until the end of the month. This is all permitted under EU rules. Obviously, or we wouldn't have been able to do it.

Here is the link to the gov.uk page on it: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-mhra-statement

Not trying to damage the paint your spitfire or anything :)

But I am glad we can get this, we need it, we have bigger problem to deal with than most countries due to our govt and all their faults!

Well I think you're dancing a little on a pin head there. Whether or not its "permitted" none of our EU neighbours have sought to get this approved so quickly under their own independent regimes; partly 'cos few have the international standing and expertise of the MHRA.

The Spitfires could do with a lick of paint, anyway.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh they look shiney enough, but if you try and take off you will realise that the government sold off the engines :D

Hopefully got better value from them than their sale of our gold reserves at the bottom of the market!!