Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

On 30/06/2021 at 06:53, Phil Starr said:

...There's a new study reported in this weeks New Scientist that shows that countries like Australia that have pursued an elimination strategy have lost far fewer jobs. Their entertainment and arts industries are in far better shape than ours and over the last 15 months our liberties have been far more restricted than those who take much stronger measures earlier...I

Just picking up on a couple of the broader "context" discussions we've recently had:

Phil the Australia / UK approach debate has been a really important one - certainly lessons to be learned. They have currently vaccinated just 24% of their population - they are way way down international vaccination league tables. Literally half of all Australians are currently under lock down and their economy is taking a battering. Australians abroad are pretty much stranded. We've obviously made serious mistakes along the way but there was no Covid "play-book". However, I don't think anyone can say with confidence any more that the Aussie approach is still the one the rest of the world is looking to for inspiration?

@DiMarco I have no idea how things are developing out in the NL but I sincerely wish your wonderful (albeit a little too tall) nation well. Your suggestion that lockdown was going to be re-imposed in the UK after 2 weeks is just not going to happen. My sense is that we continue to turn the corner.

And seeing 10,000 in @walshy's crowd (what a glorious sight!) I know, hand on heart, that I would right now rather be a relatively free Brit, both as an ordinary citizen and also as a performing musician.

• Like 1

I cerainly hope so @Al Krow. Infection rates here in NL have been on a steep decline here since the massive spike happening after lifting restrictions. I sincerely hope we all can return to the normal normal again soon.

Over here multi day venues are still blocked so no large festivala. We're still expected to keep a 1.5m distance at all times. And in public transport wear a face mask.

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just picking up on a couple of the broader "context" discussions we've recently had:

Phil the Australia / UK approach debate has been a really important one - certainly lessons to be learned. They have currently vaccinated just 24% of their population - they are way way down international vaccination league tables. Literally half of all Australians are currently under lock down and their economy is taking a battering. Australians abroad are pretty much stranded. We've obviously made serious mistakes along the way but there was no Covid "play-book". However, I don't think anyone can say with confidence any more that the Aussie approach is still the one the rest of the world is looking to for inspiration?

@DiMarco I have no idea how things are developing out in the NL but I sincerely wish your wonderful (albeit a little too tall) nation well. Your suggestion that lockdown was going to be re-imposed in the UK after 2 weeks is just not going to happen. My sense is that we continue to turn the corner.

And seeing 10,000 in @walshy's crowd (what a glorious sight!) I know, hand on heart, that I would right now rather be a relatively free Brit, both as an ordinary citizen and also as a performing musician.

Hi Al, 

As ever mine was just a factual post.  There was a study and both in terms of economics and Live music performances Australia has done way better than us. That is still true. The rate of vaccination in Australia is poor for a wealthy country and frankly the worlds media coverage of Astra Zeneca hasn't helped, taking aspirin or paracetomol is far more dangerous and my guess is most anti-vaxers pop pills with a lot less caution than I do. Getting one bit of the equation right doesn't stop you making other mistakes.

I note that the governments science advisors including SAGE members have a model that is predicting another 50,000 people killed by Covid in the next 12 months as a median figure due to the current relaxations. They clearly see this as acceptable. That's of course not including other cancelled treatments due to Covid bed blocking. The NHS is already starting to turn people away from some hospitals. I note also that the trials of opening night clubs and other indoor events have resulted in over a third of the participants contracting covid and that was the Alpha strain. Indoor events are pretty much super-spreader events. Outdoor ones much safer

Further I am concerned that letting Delta rip through a population where around 1/3 of the population is unproteced is, according to DR Phillip Hammond "the prefect petri dish for breeding vaccine resistance." Of course vaccine resistance means  the virus is  also bypassing natural immunity. Vaccines only work by triggering our natural immune system. There are a number of coronavirus genes out there we wouldn't want to meet with Delta. Viruses swap genetic material if you have co-infection. Co infection becomes common with something as infectious as Delta. One of the genes we know is out there, as reported in New Scientist, would make Covid 100 times more infectious than Alpha. Others out there would make it more deadly than Delta. There is no predicting random comings together but when the improbable looks so bad it is better to avoid the random.

I'm sure the migration of lemmings is also a glorious sight, I know how it ends! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Hi Al, 

As ever mine was just a factual post.  There was a study and both in terms of economics and Live music performances Australia has done way better than us. That is still true. The rate of vaccination in Australia is poor for a wealthy country and frankly the worlds media coverage of Astra Zeneca hasn't helped, taking aspirin or paracetomol is far more dangerous and my guess is most anti-vaxers pop pills with a lot less caution than I do. Getting one bit of the equation right doesn't stop you making other mistakes.

I note that the governments science advisors including SAGE members have a model that is predicting another 50,000 people killed by Covid in the next 12 months as a median figure due to the current relaxations. They clearly see this as acceptable. That's of course not including other cancelled treatments due to Covid bed blocking. The NHS is already starting to turn people away from some hospitals. I note also that the trials of opening night clubs and other indoor events have resulted in over a third of the participants contracting covid and that was the Alpha strain. Indoor events are pretty much super-spreader events. Outdoor ones much safer

Further I am concerned that letting Delta rip through a population where around 1/3 of the population is unproteced is, according to DR Phillip Hammond "the prefect petri dish for breeding vaccine resistance." Of course vaccine resistance means  the virus is  also bypassing natural immunity. Vaccines only work by triggering our natural immune system. There are a number of coronavirus genes out there we wouldn't want to meet with Delta. Viruses swap genetic material if you have co-infection. Co infection becomes common with something as infectious as Delta. One of the genes we know is out there, as reported in New Scientist, would make Covid 100 times more infectious than Alpha. Others out there would make it more deadly than Delta. There is no predicting random comings together but when the improbable looks so bad it is better to avoid the random.

I'm sure the migration of lemmings is also a glorious sight, I know how it ends! 

Great post.

facts can’t be picked and chosen to lay weight to a certain argument and the whole thing is very nuanced with gravitas having to be given to all the variables.

You could take the situation in Cambodia as a good way to deal with Covid - until some idiots ruin sending it into a massive spiral.

• Thanks 1

I had the pleasure of playing Carfest north on friday, It was my first gig since lockdown & to see so many people out there enjoying the experience gave me hope for the future.

Backstage many still wore masks & there were sanitising stations everywhere.

3FD4D6A2-A6A8-4843-95CB-3B59AC5EF559.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DiMarco said:

I cerainly hope so @Al Krow. Infection rates here in NL have been on a steep decline here since the massive spike happening after lifting restrictions. I sincerely hope we all can return to the normal normal again soon.

Over here multi day venues are still blocked so no large festivala. We're still expected to keep a 1.5m distance at all times. And in public transport wear a face mask.

That is very good to hear about the steep decline in infection rates; we are similarly seeing a similar decline from the recent peak in the UK even with the full opening that has happened although it's still early days to see how that pans out. Speaking of facts - Covid continues to not be even a top 20 cause of death in the UK currently and, according to the ONS, 90% of adults now have anti-bodies.  

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bassman68 said:

I had the pleasure of playing Carfest north on friday, It was my first gig since lockdown & to see so many people out there enjoying the experience gave me hope for the future.

Backstage many still wore masks & there were sanitising stations everywhere.

3FD4D6A2-A6A8-4843-95CB-3B59AC5EF559.jpeg

We were supposed to play there on Sunday, but one of the band caught covid last week. They're starting to get better, but no smell or taste and a head full of wool, despite being double-vaxx'd

Looks like a great crowd and you had good weather for it!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

We were supposed to play there on Sunday, but one of the band caught covid last week. They're starting to get better, but no smell or taste and a head full of wool, despite being double-vaxx'd

Looks like a great crowd and you had good weather for it!

I wish them the speediest of recoveries & hope you get back to gigging soon.

We’re also booked to do Carfest south on 27th August (ELO again tribute).

Have you got South booked as well?

48 minutes ago, Bassman68 said:

I wish them the speediest of recoveries & hope you get back to gigging soon.

We’re also booked to do Carfest south on 27th August (ELO again tribute).

Have you got South booked as well?

Cool! 

No, we were only booked for North, bloomin' drummer only works Saturday and Sunday morning, so it was a bit far for us to go for that one.

Our little jazz quartet got together tonight for the first time since our last gig on February 27 2020. We have no gigs booked yet, all of last year was cancelled and things are slowly opening up here with limited numbers both indoors and outside. The rehearsal was fun, good to be back playing music with other people again. 😊

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 10:47, Al Krow said:

They have currently vaccinated just 24% of their population - they are way way down international vaccination league tables.

That's a result of supplies of vaccine going to places overrun with covid first. If they had vaccinated the cab drivers they wouldn't be in the current situation.

Was working at Silverstone last night -

It certainly feels like gigs are pretty much “back to normal”. I’m not sure the Covid figures will look so great after this - I was certainly happier being “this” side of the fence.

• Like 5

First public gig since the before times tonight. Kids are at the in-laws, so the wife's coming out and I've got someone to show off for.

I've got new strings on my bass and it's our first outing with our new guitarist. We'll, actually he's the original guitarist, but he's not been with the band for best part of ten years.

I'm really looking forward to tonight.

• Like 1

First gig since march 2020. We have had to cancel the last gig because the singers son had covid, and the 2 before that because the guitarist was taken ill just before the gig, and the gig in the middle of lockdown due to rain.

Only an hour before I go and set up, so lets hope nothing happens in that time!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham said:

First public gig since the before times tonight. Kids are at the in-laws, so the wife's coming out and I've got someone to show off for.

I've got new strings on my bass and it's our first outing with our new guitarist. We'll, actually he's the original guitarist, but he's not been with the band for best part of ten years.

I'm really looking forward to tonight.

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

First gig since march 2020. We have had to cancel the last gig because the singers son had covid, and the 2 before that because the guitarist was taken ill just before the gig, and the gig in the middle of lockdown due to rain.

Only an hour before I go and set up, so lets hope nothing happens in that time!

Hope you both have a great night back in harness gents! Look forward to hearing how it all went, tomorrow! 

Well I'm back on the horse. We did our first gig yesterday afternoon for a local dog rescue charity. It was, in fact our first ever with my new, all original material band. It was baking hot at about 35°c in the shade, so bloody hard work, but otherwise a nice chilled out afternoon. There were only about 40 people there, but the original material seemed to go down well, especially amongst the local Bulgarian population who have a really great enthusiasm and thirst for live music. Even if they don't always understand the lyrics 😆.

We were also approached by another local band who, like us have about an hour's worth of original material, with a view to doing something together. So there could well be a few more gigs on the horizon. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
Autocorrect again!
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Impressive range your vocalist has - not sure how many blokes would be able to tackle that top note! 

He's great - a brilliant singer and wonderful frontman, being able to remain in this band was a factor in deciding to remain in this part of the country.

Here's a video my wife shot of our first try at a Harry Styles song

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graham said:

He's great - a brilliant singer and wonderful frontman, being able to remain in this band was a factor in deciding to remain in this part of the country.

Here's a video my wife shot of our first try at a Harry Styles song

Can’t move on stage for pedal boards. 😀

Phil Mitchell on vocals 😀

Nice one  👍

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I have just seen the Guardian article about this. Great news, especially for some of my friends who work / play tours in Europe for a living. 

Just shows what a bit of lobbying can do...!

• Like 2