Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

My missus is a Catering Manager at a chain of nursing homes. She has got them to use their entertainment budget to put on acoustic gigs out in the car park of some of the homes and then getting several of our friends to play to entertain the residents. 

Seen that near me as well - a guy did it in the rain under a gazebo with the residents looking out - trooper

• Like 2

Just had to turn down my first gig of the year! 

Just got a call @ 3:30pm from a guy I’ve been talking to about doing a band with next year, asking if I could do a last minute dep for a Led Zeppelin tribute. I would have had to finish work pretty early, jump in the shower, load the car up and drive two hours to the gig.

If it had been a straight blues rock gig, I would have happily busked it.But I think that it’s a bit too much of a push for a Zepp tribute with an audience who will know every song backwards. As much as I love Zeppelin and know the catalogue, I don’t really know that many of the parts (at least all the way through).  I’ve asked him to send me a setlist so I can have a listen for any deps he might need in the future. A shame though…

Edited by peteb
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, peteb said:

But I think that it’s a bit too much of a push for a Zepp tribute with an audience who will know every song backwards

wear your mask through the whole thing, and use a borrowed bass... no one will ever know it's you! 

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

wear your mask through the whole thing, and use a borrowed bass... no one will ever know it's you! 

Good idea! 

They've had to cancel. I've been asked to learn the set as they will probably need a dep for a couple of gigs in two weeks time! 

2 gigs this weekend. A bar in Dagenham Saturday night and then a festival ( Festwich ) on the Sunday night. This one gets a canny crowd in so it’ll be strange seeing lots of people in one place! Can’t wait though 🤘🤘

• Like 2

Last night I did my first gig since March 2020. We were in central London and played 3 x 1 hour sets. I haven't stood up for a whole evening since the beginning of last year. It nearly killed me! Talk about match fit, or not.

• Like 7

We did a evening wedding party last weekend. It was outside in a marquee with the sides off. Apart from being blisteringly hot, it was lovely to do something normal again and see people having fun.2A1EE4C5-EFDC-4752-BC9E-D520E8DBD027.thumb.jpeg.da0895ac2ce21fd302e6b2173a394288.jpeg
It was an older crowd so I suspect most had been double jabbed and we are so I felt comfortable with the setup. Also like Chris_b, I haven’t stood up for a whole evening for a while and that along with setting up and taking down played havoc with my back.

Next gigs are a joint family party for my 50th and belated 21st for my eldest in a village hall followed by a small festival and charity gig on bank holiday Saturday. We play the festival in the afternoon and then straight to set up for the charity gig in the evening. Fortunately, the festival is plug and play lol.

We have had a few function enquiries as well so hopefully things are starting to look up.

• Like 5

Played at a busy pub in Ilkeston on Friday. Zero mask-wearing among staff and customers but luckily I got to stand right by the side of an open doorway. The crowd were definitely up for it and we got the welcome group of well-dressed, well-oiled women on a night out to lead the dancing.

It looks like @oldslapper and I had the same weapon of choice!

8BB80B38-D04D-4A21-BB16-AE113BA883DB.jpeg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Played at a busy pub in Ilkeston on Friday. Zero mask-wearing among staff and customers but luckily I got to stand right by the side of an open doorway.

Shame I didn't know, I had an early gig in Burton so could probably have caught your second set at least with a bit of a detour on way home. Maybe next time. Mine was a bit stressful, some tech issues which probably made me dig harder than usual and still not up to full gig fitness meant I got cramp in my fretting hand 3 songs into set 2. Had to improvise with whichever fingers would actually respond to get the notes. Band still got some positive responses afterward and we are playing there again (inside this time) next month. We were the early outdoor act (fortunately no puppet show or need for jazz odyssey) then another band took over inside later on, seemed to work well. Turned out one of the guitarists in the other band was someone I played with about 12 years ago and hadnt seen since so it was nice to catch up.

unwanted mcc outside.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, KevB said:

Shame I didn't know, I had an early gig in Burton so could probably have caught your second set at least with a bit of a detour.

Hi Kev, we didn’t get the gig until Wednesday as the band booked for the night had to drop out. The place is called The Latch Lifter, an old chapel turned into a pub. You’d like it and a it’s a good venue to play. Our next booking is 21st September. I’m glad you’ve started back on the trail. Hope your planned trip to Greece happens too! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walshy said:

Had the pleasure to play a couple of gigs at the weekend and meet a couple of Basschats elite @hiram.k.hackenbacker on Saturday down in Dagenham and @AndyTravis and family on Sunday in Manchester. About 50 people on Saturday night and 10,000 on Sunday. 21B33C35-0299-4ED5-9949-101E101F6BFF.thumb.jpeg.157b08a202d02dd3ffd3da7d71a22d7c.jpeg

It felt great!! 

B0488278-3F64-4724-9C6E-A0110FE74096.thumb.jpeg.8c9bafe6ced0489b8aa59e1357f20355.jpeg

I would genuinely plopped my knickers!

Well played sir. 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I was in Dagenham on Saturday, I didn’t know you were playing there or I would have come and seen you walshy 🙂

Ah man, never mind. Aye we are at The Cherry Tree on Wood lane, interesting! Almost 30 people in!

31 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Didn't you wonder where everyone was?

Ha, they certainly weren't in the bar!

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I would genuinely plopped my knickers!

Well played sir. 😎

Ah it was class! Feels good to actually rock out with a crowd again. Sunshine, beer and live music. Heaven!

• Like 2